4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Hayley In Wonderland

Something that really surprises me is how this impacts the child-safe environment that Disney works so hard to preserve.

With this new rule you have the potential for dangerous dogs to be on the loose around the resorts. The dogs on the loose problem exists in people's neighborhoods, and I think they welcome the escape from that when they stay at a Disney resort.

Still scratching my head over this decision.
Surely though (I'm not sure what policies stand in the USA) you have some kind of "Dangerous Dogs Act" enforced like we do in the UK? This would usually put a ban on any dogs (here it's mainly pitbulls) that are on the list from staying at a hotel due to legal reasons?

disneygeek90

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "human beings" are actually animals, too....
Until dogs are contributing to household funds and paying for their own vacations when they're older and choose where they would like to spend their money, your comparison is based on the definitional basis of "animal," and not what is relevant to the conversation.

disneygeek90

Surely though (I'm not sure what policies stand in the USA) you have some kind of "Dangerous Dogs Act" enforced like we do in the UK? This would usually put a ban on any dogs (here it's mainly pitbulls) that are on the list from staying at a hotel due to legal reasons?
From what Disney has released, there is no established breed or weight restriction.

Hayley In Wonderland

Until dogs are contributing to household funds and paying for their own vacations when they're older and choose where they would like to spend their money, your comparison is based on the definitional basis of "animal," and not what is relevant to the conversation.
Why is it not relevant when the discussion is whether dog's should be allowed on property and someone said no because they're animals? So are humans, so surely then that makes that persons statement irrelevant, no? This isn't a discussion on whether dogs can pay their own boarding fee or holiday cost, it's about whether people are happy for dogs to stay on Disney property.

I'm not bothered either way. Just letting this person know that the comment is irrelevant due to dogs AND humans being animals :)

disneygeek90

Why is it not relevant when the discussion is whether dog's should be allowed on property and someone said no because they're animals? So are humans, so surely then that makes that persons statement irrelevant, no? This isn't a discussion on whether dogs can pay their own boarding fee or holiday cost, it's about whether people are happy for dogs to stay on Disney property.

I'm not bothered either way. Just letting this person know that the comment is irrelevant due to dogs AND humans being animals :)
You're trying to use the technicality of the definition of "animal" when obviously that was not what the OP was implying.

Hayley In Wonderland

From what Disney has released, there is no established breed or weight restriction.
Yes I have seen that, however as I stated, in the UK we have a Dangerous Dogs Act which prohibits someone from owning any dogs on this list. This would therefore make it illegal for any of these dogs to be on public property within the UK. Does the US not have something similar to this?

peter11435

What it shows us is a glimpse into what is going to happen.
In no way is this woman an exception when it comes to today's current crop of "pet parents."
People will be allowing their dogs to do things like this, among other unwanted behaviors.
Tell them otherwise, and there is likely to be a problem - because as we see indicated - many think their dogs are their children.
What it is is a glimpse into what is already happening even before dogs were allowed at some resorts. We can hope that now that there is an actual list of rules for dogs they will be enforced and since they have monetized the presence of dogs they will be more likely to crack down on those who sneak them in.

disneygeek90

Yes I have seen that, however as I stated, in the UK we have a Dangerous Dogs Act which prohibits someone from owning any dogs on this list. This would therefore make it illegal for any of these dogs to be on public property within the UK. Does the US not have something similar to this?
Some areas have these restrictions, but not all. Some are a state to state or even county to county basis.

From what I see, Miami-Dade county is the only county in Florida that bans Pitts.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am also from the UK, so I'm not sure on US dog ownership rules, but as far as I know, there are no such restrictions.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Mark Buehrle retired in 2015, as a Blue Jay. He found his three years in Toronto to be “draining” without his family. Ontario also has a pit bull ban, so Mark left his family and family pet in Florida, where pit bulls are completely legal.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "human beings" are actually animals, too....
Bananas and eggplants are both technically fruits; nonetheless, only one of those is joining my peanut butter in a sandwich for lunch today.

Incomudro

What it is is a glimpse into what is already happening even before dogs were allowed at some resorts. We can hope that now that there is an actual list of rules for dogs they will be enforced and since they have monetized the presence of dogs they will be more likely to crack down on those who sneak them in.

Now there will be more of it.
We see how Disney confronts bad behavior, they essentially don't.

Incomudro

I am also from the UK, so I'm not sure on US dog ownership rules, but as far as I know, there are no such restrictions.

Many dog owners here in the US have absolutely no grasp of the fact that selective breeding influences dog behavior.
Not only influences behavior, but also dictates a breeds size and strength.
Such owners believe a dog is a dog.
Scary stuff.
It's like not recognizing the difference in performance characteristics between a rear drive V8 Mustang vs a front drive 4 cylinder Yaris.

John park hopper

Does WDW routinely change ALL bed linen (bed spreads, pillows etc) between guests and if not will they in dog optional rooms. Now I know some will say do you know what goes on in non dog rooms, unfortunately I do and I would hope bed spreads would be changed (doubt they are) between guests. just wondering

peter11435

Does WDW routinely change ALL bed linen (bed spreads, pillows etc) between guests and if not will they in dog optional rooms. Now I know some will say do you know what goes on in non dog rooms, unfortunately I do and I would hope bed spreads would be changed (doubt they are) between guests. just wondering
There are no more bedspreads at Disney resorts. Pillows and runners are not changed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope you are right. You are a lot more optimistic than I am. IMHO it’s much easier to enforce rules like no dogs on the furniture in a resort that bans all non-service dogs. Once you allow dogs in the lobby and common areas anyway it’s much more likely to have abuse and I also think some owners will see it as more of a grey area. It’s against the rules but look how cute my dog is, he’s not hurting anyone sitting on the couch. Unless they actually hire more CMs to enforce the rules with that extra cash coming in from the pet fees I don’t see it getting better.

Dr.GrantSeeker

I was in Epcot on Tuesday and there was an accident. There was a dog, that had no indication of it being a service dog was minding its own business when all of a sudden it decided to go to the bathroom. It took a massive doodoo and then began walking! There were about 5 CMs involved in the cleanup. They covered everything with towels. It was an absolute mess. Owner and dog quickly vanished.
TNLX2254.JPG
BVYIE9238.JPG

peter11435

I hope you are right. You are a lot more optimistic than I am. IMHO it’s much easier to enforce rules like no dogs on the furniture in a resort that bans all non-service dogs. Once you allow dogs in the lobby and common areas anyway it’s much more likely to have abuse and I also think some owners will see it as more of a grey area. It’s against the rules but look how cute my dog is, he’s not hurting anyone sitting on the couch. Unless they actually hire more CMs to enforce the rules with that extra cash coming in from the pet fees I don’t see it getting better.
Even at the resorts that allow dogs I don't believe they are allowed in lobbies or other common areas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom