"21 Royal" private restaurant opens in New Orleans Square

Curious Constance

Regarding the food, when we go, does everyone agree to give me their little piece of meat in the picture below?

upload_2017-1-28_10-59-1.png

I think if I ate about 12 of those, I would be okay.

TP2000

I'm perfectly fine with this. If there are folks who want to shell out 15K for this, and Disney has figured out how to serve them, then go for it. It looks very nicely presented, to be honest. Disneyland quality stuff.

The thing that impresses me the most however, is that TDA actually got a big spread on this in the Robb Report.

Instead of pandering to neck-beard bloggers and whatever travel writer may be left at the LA Times, they went straight for the market sweet spot on this type of offering and debuted it in the Robb Report. That's impressive and tells me TDA knows exactly what they are doing here. Was this a Mary Niven project?

jsurbs

I would not be surprised if this sells out and you have to plan months in advance to reserve...

Last edited:

FerretAfros

So what's the footprint of the Dream Suite? Dusting off the cobwebs in my mind I recall that the Disney Gallery consisted of 4 spaces: 3 rooms and a patio. Which of those belong to Dream Suite and which are 21 Royal?
I was able to visit the Dream Suite one evening around 2011 as the "+1" of someone who was staying there overnight. Below is a rough map of how the rooms are laid out within the space. Most of the doors and walls are in the right place, but things get a little fuzzy near the living room/balcony/Frontier bedroom area; I know there was a bathroom over there, but I can’t remember how it fit
suite.png

Because it was mainly a group of CMs, they let us poke our heads into what’s now 21 Royal Street. At the time it served as overflow storage for Club 33 and the Suite, with things like electric fans and spare pillows. The fireplace and mantle were the only real architectural features, other than faded wallpaper that appeared to be left over from the original 1960’s installation and a half-lit chandelier

For those who remember it from the Disney Gallery days, the cashier was located in the Frontier bedroom; the dining room was the stock room (backstage). According to our guide, this room was always intended to be the dining room of the apartment, since it had easy access to Club 33 and its kitchens through the back hallway

Personally, I don’t mind this kind of ultra-high end experience being added, though I don’t think the cutesy self-referential décor fits that clientele. I lament that it means we’ll likely never see any of that space returned to service for regular guests, but I wasn’t expecting it either. That said, the way they’re shilling the Walt connection to this just feels icky.

Curiously, this blog post from November 2015 has photos (from 5 months earlier) of the newly-redesigned dining room, saying that it was intended to be booked by Club 33 members. I guess interest from them wasn’t as strong as Disney had hoped, so they’re opening it up to the general public now. According to the blog, the rebuild of the Royal St courtyard a couple years ago was to provide easier access directly to the dining room
http://disneydose.com/disneyland-alcohol-new-high-end-restaurant/#axzz4XGdzGRgY

D

Deleted member 107043

I like your thoroughness and attention to detail Ferret. Are you available do some spy work for me? I have a few enemies that I'm trying to get some dirt on.

Last edited by a moderator:

FerretAfros

So it turns out that I was able to get a photo of the old dining room, despite it being "backstage" at the time. The photo makes it look much less dusty and faded than I remember, but I guess it was in decent shape. It's also interesting that the paneling was part of the original Dorthea Redmond design, not something that was created by the current crop out of WDI
100_5562.JPG

And here's a look at the hallway outside the dining room, with a connection to Club 33 through the door. From the blog I posted earlier, it looks like this area has been modified
100_5561.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom