2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

mrsWarren14

I will be visiting Disney during Christmas for the first time this year. So glad I will be able to see the lights in person before they are gone forever! I hope Disney creates a new Lights show for DHS when all of the "Updating" is complete. I just can't see DHS without a Christmas Light Show during the Holiday Season!

gmajew

Premium Member
Just curious, would you feel the same way if it was Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, or Small World that was being removed?

I would be very very sad but I would get over it if it was needed for something better.

My fear in those cases is they would not be better attractions. Here I have no doubt they will be way way better.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The reason why the lights are going away is because streets of America will be disappearing. This area will become the new star wars land. Expect to hear from TWDC in 2-3 months that LCA will be shutdown and removed to add for further expansion. TSL will take up where half of the back lot tour took space. There will be about 10-15 acres left after the two projects for a future land/attraction based on future IP's. Yes i agree its sad to see this go especially since this was the only park i could ever see a Menorah and a Dreidel lit up during Hanukkah season. But times change and things disappear. But star wars land will be huge.

The prevailing idea is that SWL would not go into the streets. Did something change or was this idea wrong?

ULPO46

The prevailing idea is that SWL would not go into the streets. Did something change or was this idea wrong?
Christmas Lights disappearing isn't just a move just because of expenses. They will disappear because eventually this massive unused area will be incorporated into wonderful lands. Thus as some pictures have pointed out SWL juts into the current LCA show. As for the other half of the backlot tour, it's any ones guess what attractions or land this will become. I wouldn't be surprised if this area remains a parking lot and support area for cast members. This is just speculation. Other than for the two months the lights are up streets of America just sits empty. Why take out a highly popular show, although outdated, The Muppets, when you can build into an area that isn't used. This explains why when Bob said Different worlds will be added, he literally meant it. There will be a transition from the forest of endor and deserts of tatooine, to a rather interesting assortment from the new films. I hate that this area has to go, but it's long over due. Long gone are the days when the backlot tour went through the streets.

Monorail_Red_77

River Country!

And for the fun part. They will leave River Country in its current state. the CM's will pass out free Iodine and a stich kit. Oddly enough, with Stich's face plastered on it.

Tim: Ahh the memories. You remember the time when that 2x4 punctured my calf on the Osborne Country light tour.
Gidget: Ahh, yes quite magical. I can't remember much else though.
Tim: That's right... Cause you slipped and fell off the rock slide into an empty swimming pool. Here let's watch the video again.

Monorail_Red_77

How many unique holiday offerings are left, especially those that can be experienced without a ticket or package? Going during the holiday season is typically more expensive all around, as well as being busier around Thanksgiving/Christmas Day/New Years when many people can go.

We go twice a year religiously, and December used to be a special treat as it got us in the Christmas spirit. Now I'm not sure it's worth spending the extra money and dealing with the crowds if I can just go in January and get the same experience.

Just my opinion, and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on what still makes your holiday trip worth it.

Yes, it is a sad day indeed. I can only hope that something bigger and better comes along. For me personally, I never go to the hard ticket events like Very Merry Christmas Party or Not So Scary Halloween Party.
I go at least once or twice a month to the World. We also stay several times a year as well as our finances allow. We at least spend three days in very early January on-site so that we can catch the last bits of the Christmas decorations. We specifically make it a point to see the Osborne lights at least once on that trip. This does not include our day trips that we do in Nov and Dec to the parks, where we also try to catch the lights then as well.

I just hope that the next thing that comes along is not another hard ticket event.

I just have a hard time coughing up even more cash to go the exact same park that I have an Annual Pass for, just to catch a special parade and fireworks show. To me, the hard ticket events have never been worth it. I'll take a Saturday when the parks are open till 1am or 3am instead, thank you.

By the way, these dessert parties are ridiculous too. I hear they are now using one of the TTC ferry boats for a fireworks party boat soon too. Kinda reminds me of the dinner parties I have heard about that they did in the 70's. They used to have a ferry boat that did a dinner show out on the Lagoon and Bay Lake. But, back then there wasn't much else to do either.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Christmas Lights disappearing isn't just a move just because of expenses. They will disappear because eventually this massive unused area will be incorporated into wonderful lands. Thus as some pictures have pointed out SWL juts into the current LCA show. As for the other half of the backlot tour, it's any ones guess what attractions or land this will become. I wouldn't be surprised if this area remains a parking lot and support area for cast members. This is just speculation. Other than for the two months the lights are up streets of America just sits empty. Why take out a highly popular show, although outdated, The Muppets, when you can build into an area that isn't used. This explains why when Bob said Different worlds will be added, he literally meant it. There will be a transition from the forest of endor and deserts of tatooine, to a rather interesting assortment from the new films. I hate that this area has to go, but it's long over due. Long gone are the days when the backlot tour went through the streets.

None of this means that SWL will be going in the SOM area. It may be something that hasn't been announced yet, or they may just need the are logistically since so much of the rest of the park will be under construction.

Monorail_Red_77

None of this means that SWL will be going in the SOM area. It may be something that hasn't been announced yet, or they may just need the are logistically since so much of the rest of the park will be under construction.

Maybe it could also become a backstage area as well. Just a guess though.

I'm hoping for a temporary needed closure now and then it will be fleshed out with SW land, Toy land, or something else new.

ToTBellHop

The prevailing idea is still the case. Star Wars is not overtaking SoA/LMA. It extends north and west from Star Tours and uses some of the parking lot, necessitating the new parking garages that will be going up next year (well, I know at least ONE of them will be going up next year). The forthcoming closures in the Backlot are for Cars Land, which has been speed tracked to 2020, a year after Star Wars, which has itself been speed tracked. It is true that there will still be some room leftover after all of this, though.

Believe me or don't.

Magenta Panther

The prevailing idea is still the case. Star Wars is not overtaking SoA/LMA. It extends north and west from Star Tours and uses some of the parking lot, necessitating the new parking garages that will be going up next year (well, I know at least ONE of them will be going up next year). The forthcoming closures in the Backlot are for Cars Land, which has been speed tracked to 2020, a year after Star Wars. It is true that there will still be some room leftover after all of this, though.

Believe me or don't.

I'm afraid I believe you (not to cast doubt on your veracity, but this is Iger's Disney after all, and cloning an attraction is SO much more COST-EFFECTIVE and think of the increased sales of Cars merch at WDW if Carsland were built!) Feh! Why can't we get something original, like Monstropolis?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The prevailing idea is still the case. Star Wars is not overtaking SoA/LMA. It extends north and west from Star Tours and uses some of the parking lot, necessitating the new parking garages that will be going up next year (well, I know at least ONE of them will be going up next year). The forthcoming closures in the Backlot are for Cars Land, which has been speed tracked to 2020, a year after Star Wars, which has itself been speed tracked. It is true that there will still be some room leftover after all of this, though.

Believe me or don't.

Thanks. To many people are thinking that the only reason to close SoA is to put Star Wars land in it's place, but aren't considering that idea that SWL is such a big project that it might impact SoA even if it's not actually going there.

ToTBellHop

Thanks. To many people are thinking that the only reason to close SoA is to put Star Wars land in it's place, but aren't considering that idea that SWL is such a big project that it might impact SoA even if it's not actually going there.
Indeed. Something like the current NYC skyline facade is likely to become nothing more than a walkway with sensory tickles between lands. This park lacks much in the way of transition as it currently is (which works as a "movie set" but not as a theme park), so some areas will be bulldozed just to make the park look more beautiful. No more turning the corner from Tatooine to NYC.

ULPO46

I'm afraid I believe you (not to cast doubt on your veracity, but this is Iger's Disney after all, and cloning an attraction is SO much more COST-EFFECTIVE and think of the increased sales of Cars merch at WDW if Carsland were built!) Feh! Why can't we get something original, like Monstropolis?
Those plans are in the work. Although it's likely that cars land be built, so much more can be done and I can more than attest that imagineers want to show off what they can build. Not what's all ready here. Believe what you want to believe but there are already 2 Toy Story Lands around the world. Not looking forward to seeing the same land with modified rides at DHS. Wanted something original for once.

JWG

I wouldn't be surprised if the SoA are needed simply as backstage construction access and laydown areas for the SWL and TSL build outs. Now, if they somehow close SoA and leave LMA open, that'd be interesting.

I also agree, that SoA could be a 3rd not yet disclosed land such as Carsland or Monstropolis or other, but the timing seems early.

What I do know? Exciting times to be following what's happening at DHS and WDW!

Disnee4Me

It has been on the cards for the last couple of years, and Disney has now finally announced the end of the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

2015 will be the final year for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights

Big question now, is what will Walt Disney World being in as its major holiday draw?

A lot of holiday entertainment has been lost over the years, such as Lights of Winter at Epcot, 'Twas stage show at Magic Kingdom, Country Bear Christmas at Magic Kingdom.

Those losses were always offset by the grand scale of the Osborne Lights at the Studios. With those also leaving this year, it creates a huge hole in the line-up, which seems that it will force Disney to do something new for 2016.

Thoughts?

For me, a new version of Lights of Winter at Epcot would be the answer - but it would need to seriously raise the bar.
Country Bear Christmas closed???

ToTBellHop

I wouldn't be surprised if the SoA are needed simply as backstage construction access and laydown areas for the SWL and TSL build outs. Now, if they somehow close SoA and leave LMA open, that'd be interesting.

I also agree, that SoA could be a 3rd not yet disclosed land such as Carsland or Monstropolis or other, but the timing seems early.

What I do know? Exciting times to be following what's happening at DHS and WDW!
Carsland is being built faster than originally planned. Construction equipment will certainly be placed on these plots of land for awhile (obviously) but that will be alongside construction of several new show buildings. And lots of rockwork eventually.

Next Big Thing

Those plans are in the work. Although it's likely that cars land be built, so much more can be done and I can more than attest that imagineers want to show off what they can build. Not what's all ready here. Believe what you want to believe but there are already 2 Toy Story Lands around the world. Not looking forward to seeing the same land with modified rides at DHS. Wanted something original for once.
This land is completely original compared to the other Toy Story Lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom