2016 Osborne Lights replacement - what will Disney do?

harryk

It has been on the cards for the last couple of years, and Disney has now finally announced the end of the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

2015 will be the final year for the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights

Big question now, is what will Walt Disney World being in as its major holiday draw?

A lot of holiday entertainment has been lost over the years, such as Lights of Winter at Epcot, 'Twas stage show at Magic Kingdom, Country Bear Christmas at Magic Kingdom.

Those losses were always offset by the grand scale of the Osborne Lights at the Studios. With those also leaving this year, it creates a huge hole in the line-up, which seems that it will force Disney to do something new for 2016.

Thoughts?

For me, a new version of Lights of Winter at Epcot would be the answer - but it would need to seriously raise the bar.
Nothing will happen - management will do the same as they did when they removed the 'Lights of Winter'

wdwfan22

Not all the parks need to have Christmas attractions. The Osborne lights were nice but were added because the park lacked reasons to visit. With the new Star Wars Fireworks show and Fantasmic, the park doesn't need a Christmas attraction to bring in Guests.

Bocabear

They could do the same sort of lighting extravaganza at Disney Springs... Attract a bunch of people to SPEND MONEY... And quite frankly, the hjoliday offerings at Downtown Disney have always been weak... This would also be a good mover fro bringing in new high dollar tenants...a premiere Holiday Event taking place throughout the village for the holidays is always a HUGE plus...and will result in expanded sales.

wdwfan22

Back on Earth, though, would it kill them to give us four new Christmas trees for the parks? Ours are SO dated and they have far cooler trees at other resorts. A new Christmas tree for DHS placed in front of the Chinese Theatre, where it belongs, would go a long way.

I think it's safe to say the tree won't be going in front of the Chinese theater as it will block the view for the fireworks show.

Bocabear

Not all the parks need to have Christmas attractions. The Osborne lights were nice but were added because the park lacked reasons to visit. With the new Star Wars Fireworks show and Fantasmic, the park doesn't need a Christmas attraction to bring in Guests.
ok the park has new fireworks and Fantasmic is the same B grade mess it has been for years... But while this park is transitioning over the next 3-5 years, it would be nice to move a big holiday celebration SOMEWHERE...
They could even give the Osborne Style Makeover to the World Showcase...doing something unique for each country but with outlandish lighting...it would be another instant classic, and EPCOT can handle huge crowds...

ToTBellHop

I think it's safe to say the tree won't be going in front of the Chinese theater as it will block the view for the fireworks show.
Heaven forbid they put a 70-foot Christmas tree in front of the Chinese Theatre. It's not as though they had something even taller in front of the Chinese Theatre during the Star Wars fireworks in years-past.

wdwfan22

ok the park has new fireworks and Fantasmic is the same B grade mess it has been for years... But while this park is transitioning over the next 3-5 years, it would be nice to move a big holiday celebration SOMEWHERE...
They could even give the Osborne Style Makeover to the World Showcase...doing something unique for each country but with outlandish lighting...it would be another instant classic, and EPCOT can handle huge crowds...

In my opinion is just isn't needed. Epcot has Candlelight & Holidays Around The World and the Peace on Earth finale. Adding lights to the countries doesn't fit the theme and I really don't think it would bring in additional guests.

wdwfan22

Heaven forbid they put a 70-foot Christmas tree in front of the Chinese Theatre. It's not as though they had something even taller in front of the Chinese Theatre during the Star Wars fireworks in years-past.

yes but now they have a show that is using projections to tell the story. So they will need to keep the view as clear as possible.

po1998

Since Fantasmic isn't new, and the park is a mess until 2018-2020(who knows), DHS could definitely use some Christmas "love".

Bocabear

In my opinion is just isn't needed. Epcot has Candlelight & Holidays Around The World and the Peace on Earth finale. Adding lights to the countries doesn't fit the theme and I really don't think it would bring in additional guests.
Lights to the countries COULD work and COULD fit the theme... EPCOT's Holiday offerings are currently less than they used to have... And DHS no longer has the space for a big Holiday lighting attraction... So...Either EPCOT or Disney Springs...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom