2014 Walt Disney World Resort hotels holiday season updates

surfsupdon

Part of my 11/29-12/3 trip will be visiting the various lobbies since I already have ADRs there. Because of ADRs at Artist Point and Kona, I'll definitely be in WL and Poly. Might as well visit GF and Contemporary via monorail while I'm at it. Also breakfast ADR at Boma, so check off AKL. And a lunch ADR at Beaches and Cream, so there's Beaches.

Others I should visit?

If you're at Beach, walk over to Yacht Club. The decorations between the 2 sister Resorts is very different. And while you're at it, stroll around to the BoardWalk side. They have beautiful decorations.

JohnD

If you're at Beach, walk over to Yacht Club. The decorations between the 2 sister Resorts is very different. And while you're at it, stroll around to the BoardWalk side. They have beautiful decorations.

Sounds like a good idea. I'm driving over to Beach on my check out day to try out Beaches and Cream Soda Shop (and their desserts!). So, yeah, I could do a stroll around the Boardwalk area before I hit the road. It doesn't hurt that I can walk off the banana split and burger while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Part of my 11/29-12/3 trip will be visiting the various lobbies since I already have ADRs there. Because of ADRs at Artist Point and Kona, I'll definitely be in WL and Poly. Might as well visit GF and Contemporary via monorail while I'm at it. Also breakfast ADR at Boma, so check off AKL. And a lunch ADR at Beaches and Cream, so there's Beaches.

Others I should visit?

BWI/YC/BC are always very well done.

prberk

Is it just me, or does it not seem obvious that the Contemporary Resort's Grand Canyon Concourse (the wide-open spaces of the fourth floor, where this display is, and the shops) is an obvious place for a huge, very tall Christmas tree like that inside the huge atriums of the Gaylord resorts (Gaylord Palms, Opryland, National, and Texan -- http://www.marriott.com/gaylord-hotels/christmas-vacation-packages.mi?stop_mobi=yes)? They could still have done it up to match the mural or Frozen, but it still seems like they should have a large Christmas tree in that space, perhaps matching the mural by having decorations from cultures around the world.

They should also have garland along the long white balconies overlooking that space. How easy would that be? And could be done to complement the space well.

For the premium prices that these resorts command, it should seem like they should be decorated in premium style. Compare them to the Gaylord Hotels (among others), which have huge light displays, large rooms of ice sculptures, special dinners and shows onsite, and it makes no sense that Disney's "deluxe" hotels don't pull out all of the stops at Christmastime. Not only would it bring more overnight visitors to them, it would also add to the capacity of the whole resort for holiday visitors, as the hotels become attractions in themselves, giving people more things to see for the holidays than just the parks (thus easing up demand for the parks, for more holiday visitors overall -- as holiday visitors are more spread out).

Just seems right.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Is it just me, or does it not seem obvious that the Contemporary Resort's Grand Canyon Concourse (the wide-open spaces of the fourth floor, where this display is, and the shops) is an obvious place for a huge, very tall Christmas tree like that inside the huge atriums of the Gaylord resorts (Gaylord Palms, Opryland, National, and Texan)? They could still have done it up to match the mural or Frozen, but it still seems like they should have a large Christmas tree in that space, perhaps matching the mural by having decorations from cultures around the world.

They should also have garland along the long white balconies overlooking that space. How easy would that be? And could be done to complement the space well.

For the premium prices that these resorts command, it should seem like they should be decorated in premium style. Compare them to the Gaylord Hotels (among ohters), which have huge light displays, large rooms of ice sculptures, special dinners and shows onsite, and it makes no sense that Disney's "deluxe" hotels don't pull out all of the stops at Christmastime. Not only would it bring more overnight visitors to them, it would also add to the capacity of the whole resort for holiday visitors, as the hotels become attractions in themselves, giving people more things to see for the holidays than just the parks (thus easing up demand for the parks, for more holiday visitors overall -- as holiday visitors are more spread out).

Just seems right.
At Christmas, I say, "save your money and go to Wilderness Lodge." Now, that's a tree!

Goofnut1980

At Christmas, I say, "save your money and go to Wilderness Lodge." Now, that's a tree!

I always thought it was really ODD that Contemporary doesn't have a tree inside. Nor do they have any decorations on all of those railings. There has to be something they could do.

Use the old Tinsel Town (MGM pre-2008) decorations that hung over the main street.

WDW Monorail

I always thought it was really ODD that Contemporary doesn't have a tree inside. Nor do they have any decorations on all of those railings. There has to be something they could do.

Use the old Tinsel Town (MGM pre-2008) decorations that hung over the main street.

The massive wreath seems pretty good. Plus the lobby has some tasteful decorations.

prberk

I really agree on all of those interior railings. The obvious thing would be tasteful garland. Would "the hanging of the greens" on all of those railings, with some holly and ribbon tastefully done, be a perfect way to transform that wide open space for the holidays? If it were hung on every railing it would be transformative. And don't say it would cost too much -- pennies on the dollar for what those people are paying for those rooms.

Of course the biggest thing missing for me in the way of Christmas transformation at WDW is the Country Bear Jamboree. Still no reason why they don't spend the time and money to run the Christmas show (or update with a new Christmas show if need be).

Even the Hoop-de-Do Musical Revue at Fort Wilderness throws a few Christmas songs in their forty-year-old show -- although I would say that they especially could easily change the show for a seasonal run. Perfect locatin for it, too. Just ask show people in other tourist destinations, like Myrtle Beach and Branson and Pigeon Forge and New York and Nashville, all towns that have special Christmas versions of ongoing shows.

Big C 73

Is it just me, or does it not seem obvious that the Contemporary Resort's Grand Canyon Concourse (the wide-open spaces of the fourth floor, where this display is, and the shops) is an obvious place for a huge, very tall Christmas tree like that inside the huge atriums of the Gaylord resorts (Gaylord Palms, Opryland, National, and Texan -- http://www.marriott.com/gaylord-hotels/christmas-vacation-packages.mi?stop_mobi=yes)? They could still have done it up to match the mural or Frozen, but it still seems like they should have a large Christmas tree in that space, perhaps matching the mural by having decorations from cultures around the world.

For the premium prices that these resorts command, it should seem like they should be decorated in premium style. Compare them to the Gaylord Hotels (among others), which have huge light displays, large rooms of ice sculptures, special dinners and shows onsite, and it makes no sense that Disney's "deluxe" hotels don't pull out all of the stops at Christmastime. Not only would it bring more overnight visitors to them, it would also add to the capacity of the whole resort for holiday visitors, as the hotels become attractions in themselves, giving people more things to see for the holidays than just the parks (thus easing up demand for the parks, for more holiday visitors overall -- as holiday visitors are more spread out).

Just seems right.

image.jpg

Christmas Tree of Yesteryear

prberk

View attachment 73758

Christmas Tree of Yesteryear

That's awesome. And check out that sleigh with Mickey and Minnie Mouse! I see lots of people on the balconies. Was there like a daily Christmas character parade through the hotel? Looks like a postcard picture (with everything perfectly placed), but still. Shows pretty impressive theming for the hotel. Still could use garland on all of the balconies. Interesting "contemporary" tree. I say put another big tree in there, contemporary or classic (timeless), with garland, of course, on the railings, and we are back in business with celebrating like a full-service resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom