2014 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

JohnD

I have a good idea why. I was at the party on Tuesday. Rain came out of nowhere forcing the cancelation of the 10:30pm parade. (I missed it because I purposely skipped the 8pm parade thinking there would be fewer people for 10:30. Rain started during Celebrate the Magic and was intermittent from then through the fireworks until later on in the night. I waited on the upper level across from the train station when the announcement was made at 10:30 sharp). There was a line stretching from City Hall more than half-way down Main Street. My guess is most were seeing if they could be rescheduled to Thursday. I couldn't do that because I checked out yesterday. So, I'm not surprised that tonight's party is sold out.

Daniel Johnson

It isn't worth it anymore. It used to be around $40 I think. Possibly even less with my AP discount.

On top of the cookies and cocoa and entertainment, you used to get a free photo and a button.

Also, it seemed like they limited the max capacity to less than they do now. When we used to go every year, the longest wait was 10 minutes for anything. The last time we went a few years ago, it was like the afternoon in the middle of July.
As I can understand different people have varying views on the value a hard ticket event is, for what it's worth, my wife and I actually prefer hard tickets. Just because it works better for us. We both work 9-5s, weekends off (I get every other saturday off), and we live 4 hours from main street usa. We take a highly coveted Friday off and jump in the car in the later a.m. and arrive in the greater Orlando area with time to cruise around before the gates open at four. When we went to MNSSHP, it was nice to get on ridesa little quicker, enjoy our personal favorites and then experience the hard ticket events. We roll out of the world pretty much last, so we are not hunting down the car. We then stop by a diner on the way back to families house in apopka, have a beer and pass out. Saturday's we spend time with family taking it easy, and head north Sunday in the late morning.
Is it as much a value as being on property, hitting a.m. rope drop and getting to savor the experience all day? Probably not, but, it gives us a little time to be in a place we cherish together and soak in the appropriate holiday, as having no kids and family that doesn't do traditional stuff....Its great for us.
We don't really eat in the parks (I have a small addiction to the baked potatoes at the liberty square market). We don't purchase much of anything in the park honestly, so, to get to hit MK at a cheaper price point while also getting into the season and reliving a couple childhood memories....all in a weekend, it's awesome. It kinda puts a happy spin on her going back to the office and me back to the shop where everyone else had a boring weekend while we made a jaunt to WDW on the cheap....it's kinda puts steam in our sails and time to plan our spring week trip we usually do.
Different strokes for different folks!
We are headed to MVMCP next Friday!

Kman101

It's absolutely a value for the reasons listed above, but for those wanting the Christmas party value, I personally don't find it worth it anymore.

But for getting into the park a bit cheaper, less waits for rides, and some holiday offerings, I think it's still a good value. Weird. I know.

Bolt

I think part of the reason is the same as Thursday -- the unexpected rain on Tuesday.
Heh - trust me, it's not. Guest Relations didn't give away thousands and thousands of passes to people missing the SECOND parade that then caused two additional nights to sell out...

JohnD

Heh - trust me, it's not. Guest Relations didn't give away thousands and thousands of passes to people missing the SECOND parade that then caused two additional nights to sell out...

There was a long line on Tuesday but I would hardly say it had thousands of people in it. I can't say for certain because I was scheduled to check out on Wednesday but I am merely saying that if these guests were accommodated then it would be a contributing factor that could accelerate the parties selling out on Thursday and Friday.

Kman101

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with guests seeing the park closes at 7PM and then wanting to buy passes (only if it wasn't sold out before, of course). I'm sure they bank on that.

n2hifi

I have a good idea why. I was at the party on Tuesday. Rain came out of nowhere forcing the cancelation of the 10:30pm parade. (I missed it because I purposely skipped the 8pm parade thinking there would be fewer people for 10:30. Rain started during Celebrate the Magic and was intermittent from then through the fireworks until later on in the night. I waited on the upper level across from the train station when the announcement was made at 10:30 sharp). There was a line stretching from City Hall more than half-way down Main Street. My guess is most were seeing if they could be rescheduled to Thursday. I couldn't do that because I checked out yesterday. So, I'm not surprised that tonight's party is sold out.

I was there that night as well and did the same thing. I even second guessed myself for a few minutes and started to think about the early parade but in the end made the wrong choice. We just got home and are planning on sitting down as a family and watching a YouTube version of it. We missed the snow on main street as well because we started at the back of the park at 4:00 so we didn't see main street until after it was raining.

JohnD

I was there that night as well and did the same thing. I even second guessed myself for a few minutes and started to think about the early parade but in the end made the wrong choice. We just got home and are planning on sitting down as a family and watching a YouTube version of it. We missed the snow on main street as well because we started at the back of the park at 4:00 so we didn't see main street until after it was raining.

Yeah, I saw the parade a year ago so really wasn't that upset about it. (No Frozen theme then either). I hung around until after closing so was able to drink in more atmosphere. They did start pumping out the snow again after the rain passed.

jmv5010

We went to the party on December 7th. The rain cleared some of the crowd out after the fireworks, so we were able to just walk back on Space Mountain and Big Thunder a few times in a row.

Quick question: Was this Jack Skellington's first time appearing at the Christmas parties? And how rare is he at WDW in general? Thanks for the help!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Give WDW credit. They have expanded the "slippery slope" of hard tickets to Epcot, Studios, and AK. They are really good at it and I imagine even more in their future plans. My award goes to the hard ticket they sell inside the Halloween hard ticket. They really are good at this.

Did you attend the soiree ? My DW and I did and had a blast. The differentiation between the normal and what we experienced was worth the price to us. Reserved front of the castle observation area for two of the shows, the first parade, and a dessert seating in Cindy's heavily populated with Villains for personalized M&G's Face characters and the Queen of Hearts, A musical comdey review... and walking out through a deserted park to the last monorail of the early morning.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We went to the party on December 7th. The rain cleared some of the crowd out after the fireworks, so we were able to just walk back on Space Mountain and Big Thunder a few times in a row.

Quick question: Was this Jack Skellington's first time appearing at the Christmas parties? And how rare is he at WDW in general? Thanks for the help!
Yes first time at WDW Christmas parties and only 2nd time at Halloween parties. He doesn't meet at other times at WDW currently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom