2013-14 NHL Discussion Thread

jw24

Original Poster
With a new season of hockey starting soon, I figured it was time to start a new thread about this NHL season from the opening game to the Stanley Cup.

There was a Stanley Cup thread earlier months ago but think of this as a continuation in a way. Feel free to state your favorite team, your thoughts on the upcoming season and as the season progresses, chime in on your's team progress or other big news around the league.

Anyway, for me, being from NJ, I'm a huge Devils fan. Last summer was dramatic to say at least with Kovalchuk leaving and all. But from the glimpses I have seen from the preseason, I'm loving the re-signings of Elias and Henrique, the acquisitions of Cory Schneider and Damien Brunner while the other big signings of Jagr and Clowe are wait and see because they're not healthy as of now. It's a tough road for them with the conference realignment and whatnot but I think they'll surprise a lot of people. I'm not expecting them to win the division but I do think they have what it takes to get in the postseason and possibly make a run.

Let the quest for the Cup begin!

Lucky

Capitals fan here. We've benefited from being in a weak division. The realignment will be challenging for us. Thanks for starting the thread!

Bparso87

Let's go pens hopefully we got depth on the 3rd and 4th line. It was funny I was going to make this thread earlier. And sorry that was messed up what he did to you guys. Hopefully you guys won't be down for to long.

afar28

Rangers! Hopefully this season will be better after the disappointment of last season. We have tons of talent and we did not play up to it last season at all. Hopefully Richards can have a bounce back year.

Bparso87

Rangers! Hopefully this season will be better after the disappointment of last season. We have tons of talent and we did not play up to it last season at all. Hopefully Richards can have a bounce back year.
Your team is good but Richards is washed up. I think you guys would be better without Nash to. You had good young talent and you trade it away. U will make a good run in the playoffs though.

jw24

Original Poster
Some of the latest news, aside from teams finishing up their preseason:

An injury blow for the Pens with a lower body injury for Kris Letang. Out indefinitely as of now.
The Florida Panthers have new owners.
Krys Barch got traded to the Panthers for a 7th rounder and Scott Timmons. (Thank goodness! That guy was dead weight for the Devils and couldn't even win one fight last season.)

And if you want to see some of the uniform changes and such for the upcoming season, see here: http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/story/_/id/9726441/nhl-uni-watch-2013-14-nhl-preview

Last edited:

GeoDonJac34

Ranger fan here. I am looking forward to see how they play with a new coach. Gaborik probably would have played well under a more offensive minded coach. Too bad he is gone.

jw24

Original Poster
It's finally arrived people. Opening night of the NHL Season.

Aside from that:
Hybrid icing was approved by the NHLPA.
Ryan Whitney signed a one year, 900 grand deal with the Florida Panthers.
Hal Gill was signed by the Flyers for a one year deal.
Kris Letang and Vokoun were placed on Pittsburgh's IR (Injured reverse.)
Phil Kessel is expected to sign a long-term extension with Toronto, for 8 years with the average salary of $8 million a year.

Bparso87

It's finally arrived people. Opening night of the NHL Season.

Aside from that:
Hybrid icing was approved by the NHLPA.
Ryan Whitney signed a one year, 900 grand deal with the Florida Panthers.
Hal Gill was signed by the Flyers for a one year deal.
Kris Letang and Vokoun were placed on Pittsburgh's IR (Injured reverse.)
Phil Kessel is expected to sign a long-term extension with Toronto, for 8 years with the average salary of $8 million a year.
Vokuns will likley go on long term

I like kessel but 8 million is steep. I think he is around 7 so it is not like he is far off. Loved Hal gill when he was a pen but he was slow then.

jw24

Original Poster
Opening night was full of drama, to say the least. Chicago won their opener though Grabovski got a hat trick for the Caps. But the whole George Parros incident made headlines and brought the conversation about concussions and fighting in hockey once again. (Although some have said it was a freak accident for Parros.) Still, as a whole, fighting in hockey is a slippery slope no matter if they keep it or get rid of completely.

Bparso87

Opening night was full of drama, to say the least. Chicago won their opener though Grabovski got a hat trick for the Caps. But the whole George Parros incident made headlines and brought the conversation about concussions and fighting in hockey once again. (Although some have said it was a freak accident for Parros.) Still, as a whole, fighting in hockey is a slippery slope no matter if they keep it or get rid of completely.
I am a die hard hockey fan with season tickets. Loved it since I was 3 and there is no reason at all for fighting in hockey. I hate when I fight breaks out and everyone gets up like it is a gladiator fight to the death. You take cheap shots out of hockey by suspensions not player fighting.

Matt7187

I think it will be the Pens this year, after that showing last night, I feel they are hungry after a couple disappointing playoffs. But good luck to everyone's teams!

My cup prediction: Penguins over Wild in 6

jw24

Original Poster
So the big news is that Peter Laviolette got the pink slip for the Flyers after just three games. The timing is definitely weird and all four Philly teams changed coaches this calendar year believe it or not. The Ducks beat the Jets in Selanne's return to Winnipeg where he got a roaring ovation from the fans. Speaking of return, it's gonna be interesting how Cory Schneider plays against his former team this Tuesday. (So far, the Devils only have 1 point out of 2 games but I'm loving Brunner already although the defense has some problems, notably Volchenkov and Stephen Giontaa being the underperformers.)

And of course, my favorite part about Yahoo Sports NHL section: Jersey fouls!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...khawks-17-seconds-sinking-202259849--nhl.html

Bparso87

My pens are 3-0 without letang or Neal. Matta looks like he will be a superstar it will be tough to send him back to jr. Flurey has been strong and maybe the trip to the shrink helped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom