Marvel Land Discussion and Rumors

c-one

Here's an interesting article talking about how theme parks have evolved as of late and a comparison of the immersive environments of Avatar and the future Star Wars land vs what we saw with MB and a future Marvel land.

"Marvel’s world seems almost antithetical to the larger immersive strategy that’s worked so well for Harry Potter, and has Star Wars fans salivating. The MCU continuity takes place in a mirror version of our own world, and there’s really no overarching place that an immersive “Marvel World” could logically be set in. A park dedicated to The Avengers would amount to simply recreating New York City — about as alluring as a studio backlot tour. It may mean that Marvel’s presence in the company’s parks remain simpler, standalone experiences."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/3/1...-breakout-pandora-world-of-avatar-theme-parks
Yeah, thanks for this -- this expresses precisely what I've been thinking about re: Marvel and why I'm more amenable to spreading the attractions around. Heck, you can even argue that Universal already tried a Marvel Land and despite some good attractions, it's a weak link in IOA with an uninteresting ambience. That the project begins with imagineers retconning some kind of 200-foot fortress for the Collector kinda says it all.

Professortango1

Eh, some on here make it out to be a lot worse than it actually is ... how many of you that stick your nose up at WDW have been to it in the last few years? Sure it has some issues but see it with your own eyes. It's worth a visit at least once.

We went last August. It was fun, but the parks were pretty beaten up and tech was very dated.

Ismael Flores

Right??? So much to see out there. I have no problem telling people to put Disneyland down on their list. I'd like to encourage people to see the world. I haven't even seen the majority of California and I've lived here my entire life.

I'm trying to get to Asia as well. And just like you, I considered Paris, but I'm definitely holding off on that. London has pretty much been put off, too, for obvious reasons.

You know what, I used to think the same way, their were places I wanted to go but wouldn't because of the danger we hear in the news. Then a few years back 2011 to be exact something changed. I lost a friend when he went on an errand a few blocks from his house. He never got to see and do what he wanted for similar reasons and instead died a few blocks from his house.
Since then I am up to 33 countries and many cities that I have visited including places like. Oman, India, Korea, Paris, U.K, UAE, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Sri Lanka, Guatemala. El Salvador, Columbia Vietnam, China, Cambodia and even Pakistan and the list goes on.
Yes I was a bit nervous with some of those but I have to tell you that once I arrived I felt at ease. So far I have not been to any country where I was not welcomed with open arms as a US citizen and my fear changed.

There are things that I do and that is always stay vigilant, stay out of places I shouldn't be in and try and not congregate in same spot in areas with massive amounts of people always move around

I get really excited when I hear that someone got the travel bug. It is a joy to hear of people seeing this world. It is amazing and there are so many wonderful people out there to meet from all over

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

Yeah, thanks for this -- this expresses precisely what I've been thinking about re: Marvel and why I'm more amenable to spreading the attractions around. Heck, you can even argue that Universal already tried a Marvel Land and despite some good attractions, it's a weak link in IOA with an uninteresting ambience. That the project begins with imagineers retconning some kind of 200-foot fortress for the Collector kinda says it all.
I think the problem with the Ioway marvel area was that they took the graphic novel approach with all the cut outs and static buildings. If the future Hong Kong marvel addition is any indication of what WDI have in mind I think a Marvel area could be quite interesting.
I'm sure that the whole futuristic Iron man compound they have planned for Hong Kong would not look right behind Carsland but I think that creatively they could go in any direction of theming and still connect it with the Marvel brand.
Agents of Shields alone takes place all over the world and beyond so it wouldn't be difficult to say the same thing for the rest of Marvel.
Maybe they will take the same approach as Star Wars land. Make it seem familiar but not in a specific place that appeared in the movies

Californian Elitist

If you are a theme park fan in general you can always fit one in during a trip. I've traveled pretty extensively and most of my trips usually include a day at a local park. Besides WDW all the other Disney parks are located in in or close to world class cities, same with Universal. It's a great "excuse" to a embark on a travel adventure. Japan is an amazing country. Tokyo Disney is the best resort there is, but may not even crack the top 50 of awesome things to do in Japan.

I know safety is a concern in Europe right now, but the media really over exaggerates it. European countries overall are much safer than the U.S. I will say that the number of heavily armed police officers and military around European tourist attractions now is staggering. Contrast that with ones in Japan and China where I was recently and you hardly see an officer in sight. The dollar is pretty strong right now against most currencies so it is a nice time to travel abroad and airfare has never been cheaper.

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm specifically talking about people who travel to California solely to visit Disneyland, and then return home without doing anything else in California. This goes for every country with a Disney theme park. I personally know people who would go to Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. only to visit the theme parks.

You know what, I used to think the same way, their were places I wanted to go but wouldn't because of the danger we hear in the news. Then a few years back 2011 to be exact something changed. I lost a friend when he went on an errand a few blocks from his house. He never got to see and do what he wanted for similar reasons and instead died a few blocks from his house.
Since then I am up to 33 countries and many cities that I have visited including places like. Oman, India, Korea, Paris, U.K, UAE, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Sri Lanka, Guatemala. El Salvador, Columbia Vietnam, China, Cambodia and even Pakistan and the list goes on.
Yes I was a bit nervous with some of those but I have to tell you that once I arrived I felt at ease. So far I have not been to any country where I was not welcomed with open arms as a US citizen and my fear changed.

There are things that I do and that is always stay vigilant, stay out of places I shouldn't be in and try and not congregate in same spot in areas with massive amounts of people always move around

I get really excited when I hear that someone got the travel bug. It is a joy to hear of people seeing this world. It is amazing and there are so many wonderful people out there to meet from all over

I agree, we can't live in fear. I too lost a friend suddenly, coincidentally back in 2011. We were both working at Disneyland at the time, in Fantasyland. Saw her one day, and two days later she was killed in a car accident. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm not going to lie, there are some countries I'm just not interested in seeing, however that list is quite small. London and Paris are still on my list for travel! I just don't want to go there right now. I wish I could say I've been to all those countries you've visited! In time, I will. I'm still in my 20's, I'm about to head off to grad school in this fall. Once I get my career going after school, I should be able to travel more. I've got one country (technically two if you count Northern Ireland) under my belt and looking to add more in the future. Just talking about it is making me want to look up flights for Italy, which is most definitely where I want to visit next. :)

Ismael Flores

There is always something/somewhere going on in the world. Follow the CDC travel advisories, don't dictate your travel by the media hullabaloo.

Take it from someone who has a terrible track record of booking trips to places that then have some disaster in and around my travel dates. People are grateful to have tourists still come and are genuinely pleased to see you. I always have a great time and feel safe.

I went to Tokyo 1.5 months after Fukushima,
-Delhi during the Gang Rape Protests,
-Norway a week after European flights shut down with the Reykjavík volcano spewing ash,
-France a month before the ORY bombings and England just before their bombing last month,
-I flew multiple Malaysian flights after 370, but just before 17,
-Christchurch post earthquake,
-Calgary flooded the day after I left...

Don't live in Fear!

PS: I will start disseminating my travel plans and you can all flee the area.

I was in New Zealand durng the earthquake, the hotel I was staying in actually partially collapsed. I was not in hotel at the moment. I had gone to another part of the Island and was backpacking the day before and was in airport heading back to Christchurch

Ismael Flores

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm specifically talking about people who travel to California solely to visit Disneyland, and then return home without doing anything else in California. This goes for every country with a Disney theme park. I personally know people who would go to Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. only to visit the theme parks.

I agree, we can't live in fear. I too lost a friend suddenly, coincidentally back in 2011. We were both working at Disneyland at the time, in Fantasyland. Saw her one day, and two days later she was killed in a car accident. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm not going to lie, there are some countries I'm just not interested in seeing, however that list is quite small. London and Paris are still on my list for travel! I just don't want to go there right now. I wish I could say I've been to all those countries you've visited! In time, I will. I'm still in my 20's, I'm about to head off to grad school in this fall. Once I get my career going after school, I should be able to travel more. I've got one country (technically two if you count Northern Ireland) under my belt and looking to add more in the future. Just talking about it is making me want to look up flights for Italy, which is most definitely where I want to visit next. :)

I do recommend going to Cambodia and Vietnam, gorgeous countries. They are places I will definately go back too. The most memorable place was my Inca hike I did in Peru. Hiked from Cisco to Machu Pichu thru the Andes on the old Inca trails.
If you ever want to do that let me know I have friend that was born and lives there and does those hikes as a living taking up small private groups. It is an amazing life changing experience just don't do it with the big tourist groups that take up to 20 people. This person is a native and only takes groups no more than 8 people and you get to interact with him and his family

D

Deleted member 107043

If you ever want to do that let me know I have friend that was born and lives there and does those hikes as a living taking up small private groups.

Pardon my ignorance about the region, but how long is the hike? Are we taking hours or days?

BrianLo

Pardon my ignorance about the region, but how long is the hike? Are we taking hours or days?

4 days.

I repeat the sentiment that Peru (and the Incan trail) was one of my favourite travel experiences. The organized groups are just fine honestly, we were in a group of 12 or so and got along very well with everyone. It's one of the few organized tours that won't yield a geri-crowd as its a 4 day mountain hike after all.

This is very un-Marvel talk... but Joe Rohde did the official trail last year and is +/- still on Marvel... so relevant?

Someone should probably create a travel thread, I'd love to talk more about all these things but this is not the right thread.

Californian Elitist

I do recommend going to Cambodia and Vietnam, gorgeous countries. They are places I will definately go back too. The most memorable place was my Inca hike I did in Peru. Hiked from Cisco to Machu Pichu thru the Andes on the old Inca trails.
If you ever want to do that let me know I have friend that was born and lives there and does those hikes as a living taking up small private groups. It is an amazing life changing experience just don't do it with the big tourist groups that take up to 20 people. This person is a native and only takes groups no more than 8 people and you get to interact with him and his family

Both of those countries are on my list.

Thank you!

4 days.

I repeat the sentiment that Peru (and the Incan trail) was one of my favourite travel experiences. The organized groups are just fine honestly, we were in a group of 12 or so and got along very well with everyone. It's one of the few organized tours that won't yield a geri-crowd as its a 4 day mountain hike after all.

This is very un-Marvel talk... but Joe Rohde did the official trail last year and is +/- still on Marvel... so relevant?

Someone should probably create a travel thread, I'd love to talk more about all these things but this is not the right thread.

Agreed, we should get back on topic. A dedicated thread would be nice.

No Name

I've never struggled to spend a full day in any park at WDW. In fact, I recently spent two full days at "the corpse of TPFKaTD-MGMS" (that's Disney's Hollywood Studios) and never ran out of things to do.

Can't listen to that online crap talk.

Edit: On the topic of Marvel Land... I thought of something when Brian mentioned Civil War. Maybe the Captain America coaster and Avengers coaster rumors are really just the same thing spoken two different ways. The final name and branding of the coaster (whether Cap or Avengers) will just depend on how much more of a role Captain America plays compared to the other characters. Maybe.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

u guys must travel a lot... can you take me? i dont care of the risks
I'm taking another trip to South Africa soon so you'll have to tag along ;):D

For real though, an absolute beautiful country that I feel is overlooked. Pretoria is just stunning. Also did Malawai a couple weeks back and while the mountains are breath-taking, it's not a place one would typically "vacation".

Little Green Men

Yes as much as I love Disney parks I love to travel. I went to Italy two years ago and went to Rome, Milan, and an area where my aunt and uncle have a timeshare. I saw the Coliseum, the Duomo, even went to the 2015 Milan Expo (the closest thing I'll ever get to a worlds fair). It was an amazing trip. I went to New York on a couple class trips (its not too far from me) but went for the first time with my family last summer. I saw all the buildings like One World Trade Center, Rockefeller, and Empire State Building. The weather was as hot as WDW would be in August when I went to NYC, made worse by the brick buildings. I definitely want to see more places besides Disney but its still my "home" vacation.

Suspirian

According to a patent application filed by Disney, a new shield throwing experience may be coming to the theme parks.

Images in the patent show Captain America‘s shield attached to a rail that users slide onto their forearm. When guests make a throwing motion with their arm, the shield slides down the rail. While it does not detach from the arm piece, a virtual component kicks in to simulate a shield traveling in the direction of the user’s throw.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-20-at-9.53.57-AM-630x355.png

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-20-at-9.54.10-AM-630x366.png

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-20-at-9.54.20-AM-630x302.png

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-20-at-9.54.30-AM-630x322.png

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-20-at-9.54.37-AM-630x388.png

If the user hits their target, a “boomerang” effect brings the shield back. Targets have varying degrees of difficulty, so a super villain is harder to hit than a henchman. The target element of the attraction sounds similar to Toy Story Mania at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, a virtual dart game that awards higher points for hitting the toughest targets.

Physical targets may be part of the attraction as well. As the applications states, “In one embodiment, the throwing apparatus is a toy device that permits the user to play the role of a superhero who uses the projectile to attack virtual or physical targets (e.g., toys) or defend against attacks from the targets or other players in an immersive storytelling environment.”

If the patent becomes a reality, the new Captain America attraction may be poised to join Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission – Breakout! in Disney’s California Adventure as part of an expanded Marvel section of the park.

California Adventure is also currently home to the Avengers Training Initiative, an interactive Marvel show that’s part of the Summer of Heroes event. Take a look at the show in our video below.

WATCH – AVENGERS TRAINING INITIATIVE:

You can read Disney’s full patent application for the shield experience here.

http://www./2017/06/patent-reveals-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

http://www./2017/06/patent-reveals-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

original.gif

Daveeeeed

Disneyland Resort is by far the more complete resort. Both parks have far less wait times with more rides in 2 parks than all 4 at WDW. Cast Members are friendlier (as well as the public) and the parks are both so pretty to look at. Even Tomorrowland looks cooler than WDW's throughout the land at night.

Last edited:

jmuboy

I'm taking another trip to South Africa soon so you'll have to tag along ;):D

For real though, an absolute beautiful country that I feel is overlooked. Pretoria is just stunning. Also did Malawai a couple weeks back and while the mountains are breath-taking, it's not a place one would typically "vacation".

South Africa might be the most under rated vacation destination on earth!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom