Marvel Land Discussion and Rumors

mickEblu

Okay, here me out. This could be more evidence or just wishful thinking. But with Guardians over at Epcot now confirmed to be a roller coaster based attraction (as the Captain America and Avengers rumor has been for DCA). And with Mission Breakout being a cheap overlay, with the awkward placement in the park, and officially backstoried as a special exhibition. It has me thinking even more that it was always meant to be temporary attraction to be torn down once construction begins on Marvel Land and the park is now getting a clone of the Guardians roller coaster Epcot is getting. And you could further the speculation that it is set to close next year with Paris to receive most of its parts from DCA. Thoughts?

No chance. What benefit would they have to demolish a popular E ticket that they just spent money on to renovate? As much as I hate the new tower, I hold out some hope that it will one day be turned back into TOT. With Disneys love to capitalize on the nostalgic, I think it's possible under a new regime. If Hollywoodland sticks around, it ll still make sense in its current location.

Last edited:

Antaundra

No chance. What benefit would they have to demolish a popular E ticket that they just spent money on to renovate? As much as I hate the new tower, I hold out some hope that it will one day turned back into TOT. With Disneys love to capitalize on the nostalgic, I think it's possible under a new regime. If Hollywoodland sticks around, it ll still make sense in its current location.
If Marvel Land gets delayed long enough maybe it will actually happen. An elaborate new beautiful TOT facade could anchor a newly designed Hollywood Land.

TROR

From best to worst case scenario
1. I wake up in a timeline where Mission Breakout never happened
2. Mission Breakout is converted back to a new Tower of Terror
3. Mission Breakout is completely demolished
4. Mission Breakout stays forever
5. Mission Breakout is constantly swapped around with new overlays to promote the latest Marvel movie

TROR

The only thing wrong with mission breakout is the ugly building. The ride experience is an improvement to DCAs versions of TOT.

You mean the thrill factor, right? Because the setting, storytelling, and screens are a massive step down from Tower of Terror's.

mickEblu

If Marvel Land gets delayed long enough maybe it will actually happen. An elaborate new beautiful TOT facade could anchor a newly designed Hollywood Land.

We can dream. Imagine if they had brought our TOT and surrounding area to WDWs standards and leveled the backlot for the Mickey ride. Could have been one great Hollywoodland. And still room to spare for Marvel land with the bus transportation area, expansion pad behind TOT and Bugs Land. Oh well.

mickEblu

You mean the thrill factor, right? Because the setting, storytelling, and screens are a massive step down from Tower of Terror's.

Almost nobody seems to agree with me on this but I found TOT more thrilling. GOTG is bouncier. Feels like you re being shot up more than you are free falling. Also, I don't feel like one drop in GOTG goes the entire distance as the last drop in TOT did. Aside from the physics, I feel that TOTs execution made the drops feel scarier. GOTG is bouncy and comical. I think the ride experience changed more than most people realize.

Last edited:

Antaundra

We can dream. Imagine if they had brought our TOT and surrounding area to WDWs standards and leveled the backlot for the Mickey ride. Could have been one great Hollywoodland. And still room to spare for Marvel land with the bus transportation area, expansion pad behind TOT and Bugs Land. Oh well.
As long as we're dreaming... Imagine if the backlot became a fully enclosed Toon Town with an animated sky and projection mapping on all the buildings to make them move and come to life. The land could feature the Micky ride and Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin freeing up the current Toon Town for Disneyland expansion.

JD2000

I'd guess to demolish or re-skin Hollywood Land entirely for Marvel Land is not a popular opinion here? I always disliked the land and find it quite redundant now with the existence of buena vista street.

SuddenStorm

Almost nobody seems to agree with me on this but I found TOT more thrilling. GOTG is bouncier. Feels like you re being shot up more than you are free falling. Also, I don't feel like one drop in GOTG goes the entire distance as the last drop in TOT did. Aside from the physics, I feel that TOTs execution made the drops feel scarier. GOTG is bouncy and comical. I think the ride experience changed more than most people realize.

The biggest draw for most (maybe all?) Disney thrill rides is the suspense created in the queue of the attraction and the atmosphere during the ride, not the actual ride system itself- especially in comparison to Six Flags and other thrill parks where the rides are considerably bigger and faster.

Indiana Jones- the vehicles are mostly slow moving, but with a wide range of motion in an amazingly themed ride. If the theme was half of what it is, it would be annoying and jerky- not fun and thrilling.

Space Mountain- the top speed is like 30 mph with no big drops, but since it's in the dark, or "space" it becomes a fun thrilling attraction.

Splash Mountain- the drop is only 50 feet, but the amazing tension and build up to the drop make it feel much longer.

This was kind of a long way of saying that with Tower of Terror, with a height of 130 feet (this is off Wikipedia, which I believe says the longest drop is 124 feet but It was kind of confusing), relied on the slow build up and darkness to create suspense and a sense of thrill- since the actual ride system really wasn't that scary, when compared to, say, Drop of Doom at Magic Mountain which drops you 400 feet by carrying you up the side of a tower with very little surrounding.

It isn't surprising to me that the overlay is a considerably different experience than the Tower was.

jaxonp

DCA's TOT was always three steps behind DHS's TOT. The buildup to entering the hotel (no extended garden queue) no fifth dimension and no randomized drop sequence. TOT at DCA was a half a$$ed and it showed if you had even been to Orlando. I'm good with the change. Gives DCA an original attraction. GotG is a good use of the ride system. The preshow is great, the lobby of the collector is full of fun easter eggs. Whomever said that it is hard to hear the dialogue sometimes is right.. That seems like something Disney could easily fix.

mickEblu

As long as we're dreaming... Imagine if the backlot became a fully enclosed Toon Town with an animated sky and projection mapping on all the buildings to make them move and come to life. The land could feature the Micky ride and Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin freeing up the current Toon Town for Disneyland expansion.

Heck ya! I've had this dream.

mickEblu

The biggest draw for most (maybe all?) Disney thrill rides is the suspense created in the queue of the attraction and the atmosphere during the ride, not the actual ride system itself- especially in comparison to Six Flags and other thrill parks where the rides are considerably bigger and faster.

Indiana Jones- the vehicles are mostly slow moving, but with a wide range of motion in an amazingly themed ride. If the theme was half of what it is, it would be annoying and jerky- not fun and thrilling.

Space Mountain- the top speed is like 30 mph with no big drops, but since it's in the dark, or "space" it becomes a fun thrilling attraction.

Splash Mountain- the drop is only 50 feet, but the amazing tension and build up to the drop make it feel much longer.

This was kind of a long way of saying that with Tower of Terror, with a height of 130 feet (this is off Wikipedia, which I believe says the longest drop is 124 feet but It was kind of confusing), relied on the slow build up and darkness to create suspense and a sense of thrill- since the actual ride system really wasn't that scary, when compared to, say, Drop of Doom at Magic Mountain which drops you 400 feet by carrying you up the side of a tower with very little surrounding.

It isn't surprising to me that the overlay is a considerably different experience than the Tower was.

Right. I don't think anyone over the age of 8 goes to Disney parks for thrill rides but for the whole package. My point is that I not only found TOT more thrilling because of the execution (which you mention in your examples above) but also the actual physical movement of the ride vehicle is not as thrilling. I'm just wondering to what degree did the execution add to the thrill. Like I said, GOTG to me feels like numerous small bouncy drops and not any big ones like the TOT finale.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well the word on the street, which I think was alluded to previously, is that ToT in DLP is getting the same exact GotG:MB refurb as DCA's did. WDW will be the only version left with TZ, and the writing is on the wall that it won't be around for long. So it really does look like Disney is moving away from the TZ theme for all parks. Guess those that said it was for licensing reasons could really have been right on this one.

mickEblu

Well the word on the street, which I think was alluded to previously, is that ToT in DLP is getting the same exact GotG:MB refurb as DCA's did. WDW will be the only version left with TZ, and the writing is on the wall that it won't be around for long. So it really does look like Disney is moving away from the TZ theme for all parks. Guess those that said it was for licensing reasons could really have been right on this one.

I have a feeling the WDW one will stick around especially since a GOTG ride is going into Epcot. At this point I'm waiting for Rat / Tron/ GOTG and the Mickey ride to book my first WDW trip. However, if they were to announce TOT closing I would book a trip to see it (and the rest of the parks) before it goes away.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have a feeling the WDW one will stick around especially since a GOTG ride is going into Epcot. At this point I'm waiting for Rat / Tron/ GOTG and the Mickey ride to book my first WDW trip. However, if they were to announce TOT closing I would book a trip to see it (and the rest of the parks) before it goes away.

Well my feeling is that Disney is going away from all non-Disney IP. And after the Great Movie ride closed, ToT is the biggest non-Disney IP left in that park. So I have a feeling the TZ theme's days are numbered. So don't be surprised if its gets the Tokyo theme, closed for a small refurb and reopened with no reference to TZ.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom