Marvel Land Discussion and Rumors

D

Deleted member 107043

No, I'm talking about a complete overhaul ala what WDW's received. There were murmurings about a massive makeover around the time that Disney announced DLR's new luxury hotel.

zooey

No, I'm talking about a complete overhaul ala what WDW's received. There were murmurings about a massive makeover around the time that Disney announced DLR's new luxury hotel.
I don't know they would start anything they can't finish before Star Wars lands opening because they're going to need everything running at full capacity and ability even DTD for at least a year after it opens up.

D

Deleted member 107043

I don't know they would start anything they can't finish before Star Wars lands opening because they're going to need everything running at full capacity and ability even DTD for at least a year after it opens up.

I assumed it would be completed before SW Land. It doesn't open until 2019.

Californian Elitist

Good to hear, especially from a young person!

WDW has its merits, particularly in what's left of the original intent at Epcot. Magic Kingdom has a handful of unique D Tickets notable for their novelty or historical Disney significance (CoP, PeopleMover, Country Bears). The rest of the parks are shockingly light on rides, have an alarmingly creaky lineup of live entertainment and are a wash, unless you are a huge fan of the Avatar movie. The remaining WDW experience is themed hotels (of varying success and interest), typical tourist activities like water slides and mini golf, and a big mall in Disney Springs that is not quite as fancy or fun as The Grove or The Americana but could hold its own with Fashion Island or Pacific City.

Also, the weather in Orlando is horrific 9 months of the year, especially for Westerners not used to humidity and torrential rainstorms.

But it's fun to do at least once. 20 years ago it was a much bigger draw for a West Coast Disney fan. Now, not as much. When Marvel Land opens at DCA, perhaps even less so.

I really hate humidity. When I actually do go, I'm going to have to make sure I go during a time where it's the least humid. Weather plays a big part in how well my days go at theme parks, so if it's humid during my trip, I know I'm going to be irritated.

Quite honestly the only things I'm interested in at WDW are DHS and AK, though Pandora doesn't excite me. Definitely don't care about Disney Springs. My trip will happen when it happens, but I'm in no rush, especially after traveling abroad this year.

Travel Junkie

Here's an interesting article talking about how theme parks have evolved as of late and a comparison of the immersive environments of Avatar and the future Star Wars land vs what we saw with MB and a future Marvel land.

"Marvel’s world seems almost antithetical to the larger immersive strategy that’s worked so well for Harry Potter, and has Star Wars fans salivating. The MCU continuity takes place in a mirror version of our own world, and there’s really no overarching place that an immersive “Marvel World” could logically be set in. A park dedicated to The Avengers would amount to simply recreating New York City — about as alluring as a studio backlot tour. It may mean that Marvel’s presence in the company’s parks remain simpler, standalone experiences."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/3/1...-breakout-pandora-world-of-avatar-theme-parks

Kman101

Honestly Animal Kingdom and Epcot World Showcase are worth the visit ... DHS eh. I like the front half and It's worth it if you are a Tower fan. With Disneyland in your backyard and having been there the MK pales but at least see it. JMO

Sorry for the thread drift!

voodoo321

I really hate humidity. When I actually do go, I'm going to have to make sure I go during a time where it's the least humid. Weather plays a big part in how well my days go at theme parks, so if it's humid during my trip, I know I'm going to be irritated.

Quite honestly the only things I'm interested in at WDW are DHS and AK, though Pandora doesn't excite me. Definitely don't care about Disney Springs. My trip will happen when it happens, but I'm in no rush, especially after traveling abroad this year.

You should go between mid-Oct and early May then. Especially if you want to spend a lot of time at AK. It is the most hot and humid of all the parks due to all the tropical plants. I was pretty irritable last week standing in a non-moving line for Kali. I only queued up for the lame ride to get soaked and cool down but only managed to get drenched in sweat and climbed out of line. On days like that you find that you'd rather be back at the hotel by mid afternoon in the pool or resting in the room. I hope to get out to DLR this summer for the first time in a few years.

Kman101

You should go between mid-Oct and early May then. Especially if you want to spend a lot of time at AK. It is the most hot and humid of all the parks due to all the tropical plants. I was pretty irritable last week standing in a non-moving line for Kali. I only queued up for the lame ride to get soaked and cool down but only managed to get drenched in sweat and climbed out of line. On days like that you find that you'd rather be back at the hotel by mid afternoon in the pool or resting in the room. I hope to get out to DLR this summer for the first time in a few years.

Yes, AK can be slightly miserable in the heat, I noticed the crowds were quite ... something when it's hot and humid. During my trip in March, very cranky and rude, so different from my days in the other parks. I also find Epcot to be quite unbearable in the heat, it has so much less shade the other parks. I'd also suggest saving DHS for nighttime, unless you want to hit some of the 30 year old shows, they all basically stop (besides Frozen) around 4/5.

Californian Elitist

I know exactly how that is. I went to Vegas last July and, like you, I was more interested in staying in the hotel all day than being out on the Strip because it was so hot. I'm the same way when it comes to Disneyland and the rain. I can't enjoy myself at the parks when it rains.

Thank you for the tips!

Kman101

Good to hear, especially from a young person!

WDW has its merits, particularly in what's left of the original intent at Epcot. Magic Kingdom has a handful of unique D Tickets notable for their novelty or historical Disney significance (CoP, PeopleMover, Country Bears). The rest of the parks are shockingly light on rides, have an alarmingly creaky lineup of live entertainment and are a wash, unless you are a huge fan of the Avatar movie. The remaining WDW experience is themed hotels (of varying success and interest), typical tourist activities like water slides and mini golf, and a big mall in Disney Springs that is not quite as fancy or fun as The Grove or The Americana but could hold its own with Fashion Island or Pacific City.

Also, the weather in Orlando is horrific 9 months of the year, especially for Westerners not used to humidity and torrential rainstorms.

But it's fun to do at least once. 20 years ago it was a much bigger draw for a West Coast Disney fan. Now, not as much. When Marvel Land opens at DCA, perhaps even less so.

As a local to the WDW parks, I do agree mostly with this. I do think it still has a bit of a draw but not like it did, but of course it had the draw 20 years ago, it was still being built up and new things were added. They had over a decade of letting things sit and rot. It takes them forever to update shows, entertainment in the MK is severely lacking, DHS has 30 year old stage shows that desperately need to go, Epcot's Future World is a very sad shell of it's former self (but World Showcase is the same for the most part and worth a walk around). I'd argue AK is a very beautifully themed park. I understand animals aren't a big draw to some, and those who want to ride ride ride will probably be disappointed but it's top notch in my books and easily my favorite park. But yes, the humidity can make you very irritated, especially in AK and I think Epcot is quite unbearable in the heat as well, there's a lack of shade and seating.

And I'm with @raven24 ... it's been nice over the years to go to other places and see the world a bit. There's a lot out there ;) I just went to New York for the first time in April. Not exactly "the world" but it's quite fun to be a part of the hustle and bustle. Travel while you can IMO. I have so many places I want to see but it helps I'm close to WDW so it's a lot easier of a trip for me, but for those flying and booking WDW resort rooms ... it's worth it for a visit but see the world too :)

mickEblu

Eh, some on here make it out to be a lot worse than it actually is ... how many of you that stick your nose up at WDW have been to it in the last few years? Sure it has some issues but see it with your own eyes. It's worth a visit at least once.

I definitely want to see it once. That's why I said "running." It just keeps getting lowered on the priority list.

Californian Elitist

As a local to the WDW parks, I do agree mostly with this. I do think it still has a bit of a draw but not like it did, but of course it had the draw 20 years ago, it was still being built up and new things were added. They had over a decade of letting things sit and rot. It takes them forever to update shows, entertainment in the MK is severely lacking, DHS has 30 year old stage shows that desperately need to go, Epcot's Future World is a very sad shell of it's former self (but World Showcase is the same for the most part and worth a walk around). I'd argue AK is a very beautifully themed park. I understand animals aren't a big draw to some, and those who want to ride ride ride will probably be disappointed but it's top notch in my books and easily my favorite park. But yes, the humidity can make you very irritated, especially in AK and I think Epcot is quite unbearable in the heat as well, there's a lack of shade and seating.

And I'm with @raven24 ... it's been nice over the years to go to other places and see the world a bit. There's a lot out there ;) I just went to New York for the first time in April. Not exactly "the world" but it's quite fun to be a part of the hustle and bustle. Travel while you can IMO. I have so many places I want to see but it helps I'm close to WDW so it's a lot easier of a trip for me, but for those flying and booking WDW resort rooms ... it's worth it for a visit but see the world too :)

Definitely. I haven't written WDW off my list. It just moved down. After my trip to Ireland this March, I definitely caught the travel bug. Trying to get to Italy next year and want to plan a trip to Africa (I'm giving myself 10 years for that one).

New York is always great for visiting. My dad's side of the family is from New York and some of the other eastern and southern states, so I really need to get out there more often.

Kman101

Definitely. I haven't written WDW off my list. It just moved down. After my trip to Ireland this March, I definitely caught the travel bug. Trying to get to Italy next year and want to plan a trip to Africa (I'm giving myself 10 years for that one).

New York is always great for visiting. My dad's side of the family is from New York and some of the other eastern and southern states, so I really need to get out there more often.

Ireland is a dream for me jealous you went there :) but I'll get there.

Africa is also on the bucket list. Italy too.

New York was fun. Loved the subway, was great to see two broadway shows (Aladdin and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). And there's still a lot more I'd have liked to see so I'm hopeful to go again next year. Heck there's a ton of California I still need to see!

Tokyo and Japan in general is another. That's going to take a few years to get there. Paris/London, etc. was kind of on my agenda this year but I may put that off for a bit.

Californian Elitist

Ireland is a dream for me jealous you went there :) but I'll get there.

Africa is also on the bucket list. Italy too.

New York was fun. Loved the subway, was great to see two broadway shows (Aladdin and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). And there's still a lot more I'd have liked to see so I'm hopeful to go again next year. Heck there's a ton of California I still need to see!

Tokyo and Japan in general is another. That's going to take a few years to get there. Paris/London, etc. was kind of on my agenda this year but I may put that off for a bit.

Right??? So much to see out there. I have no problem telling people to put Disneyland down on their list. I'd like to encourage people to see the world. I haven't even seen the majority of California and I've lived here my entire life.

I'm trying to get to Asia as well. And just like you, I considered Paris, but I'm definitely holding off on that. London has pretty much been put off, too, for obvious reasons.

Kman101

Right??? So much to see out there. I have no problem telling people to put Disneyland down on their list. I'd like to encourage people to see the world. I haven't even seen the majority of California and I've lived here my entire life.

I'm trying to get to Asia as well. And just like you, I considered Paris, but I'm definitely holding off on that. London has pretty much been put off, too, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, London, Paris, etc. I'm not saying live in fear but there's a little bit too much going on there for me :(

Travel Junkie

If you are a theme park fan in general you can always fit one in during a trip. I've traveled pretty extensively and most of my trips usually include a day at a local park. Besides WDW all the other Disney parks are located in in or close to world class cities, same with Universal. It's a great "excuse" to a embark on a travel adventure. Japan is an amazing country. Tokyo Disney is the best resort there is, but may not even crack the top 50 of awesome things to do in Japan.

I know safety is a concern in Europe right now, but the media really over exaggerates it. European countries overall are much safer than the U.S. I will say that the number of heavily armed police officers and military around European tourist attractions now is staggering. Contrast that with ones in Japan and China where I was recently and you hardly see an officer in sight. The dollar is pretty strong right now against most currencies so it is a nice time to travel abroad and airfare has never been cheaper.

BrianLo

There is always something/somewhere going on in the world. Follow the CDC travel advisories, don't dictate your travel by the media hullabaloo.

Take it from someone who has a terrible track record of booking trips to places that then have some disaster in and around my travel dates. People are grateful to have tourists still come and are genuinely pleased to see you. I always have a great time and feel safe.

I went to Tokyo 1.5 months after Fukushima,
-Delhi during the Gang Rape Protests,
-Norway a week after European flights shut down with the Reykjavík volcano spewing ash,
-France a month before the ORY bombings and England just before their bombing last month,
-I flew multiple Malaysian flights after 370, but just before 17,
-Christchurch post earthquake,
-Calgary flooded the day after I left...

Don't live in Fear!

PS: I will start disseminating my travel plans and you can all flee the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom