Expedition Everest effects status watch

G00fyDad

AK has so much land that it would be great if they would add a moderate and a value resort to the property themed to Africa. (Yes, I know they have the All Stars there.)

Bairstow

AK has so much land that it would be great if they would add a moderate and a value resort to the property themed to Africa. (Yes, I know they have the All Stars there.)

Without the luxury and animal viewing amenities of the Lodge, I don't see an African theme being particularly attractive to prospective guests.

G00fyDad

doesn't the lion king area in the Art of Animation count ?

Not really. :) That is more of a "movie" theme anyway. I meant truer African.

Without the luxury and animal viewing amenities of the Lodge, I don't see an African theme being particularly attractive to prospective guests.

Why couldn't they come close? I'm not just talking about building the two resorts "near" the park in the way the All Stars are. I am talking about having them as close to the AK as the AKL is right now. There could be smaller offerings for each resort since they are not a deluxe.

Bairstow

Why couldn't they come close? I'm not just talking about building the two resorts "near" the park in the way the All Stars are. I am talking about having them as close to the AK as the AKL is right now. There could be smaller offerings for each resort since they are not a deluxe.

Well keep in mind that the savannahs at the Lodge use completely different animals and enclosures from those used for the park. It is its own independent animal containment and care facility.

Ralphlaw

Here's the latest, all from a reliable former cast member:

1. The yeti can be fully operational, but there are stresses from the yeti to the track that violate Disney's nth degree safety protocols.
2. These safety protocols are minute, meaning that the yeti could have been running this entire time without a realistic fear of mishap.
3. It would take 3 to 6 months to fix these utterly minute safety issues, with the ride in total shutdown during that time..
4. The disco yeti B mode could easily be upgraded, but there is fear that doing so would be seen as "good enough".
5. In short, we're stuck with disco yeti because a better B mode bandage would obliviate the need to bring back a true A mode.

Fascinating. The true Disney dreamers want to bring back the great A mode of the reaching yeti, but fear that a B mode upgrade would ruin their chances to do so. Although Joe Rhode does cry in his occasional beer (He's actually working with the Marvel properties now instead of Animal Kingdom), he sips his brews with the full knowledge that the yeti could be working and that it is only a matter of time before A mode is up and running.

"Safety first" isn't just a saying, it's close to an insane compulsion. When rides go down, it's usually because a sensor went off, which is usually because the sensor malfunctioned or a problem with a less than 1% chance of causing a true safety issue has occurred.

By definition, amusement parks can be dangerous. With such insane attention to safety, litigation against the mouse is truly an uphill battle for any lawyer. Bottom line: Blame the lawyers for disco yeti.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

1. The yeti can be fully operational, but there are stresses from the yeti to the track that violate Disney's nth degree safety protocols.
2. These safety protocols are minute, meaning that the yeti could have been running this entire time without a realistic fear of mishap.
3. It would take 3 to 6 months to fix these utterly minute safety issues, with the ride in total shutdown during that time..
4. The disco yeti B mode could easily be upgraded, but there is fear that doing so would be seen as "good enough".
5. In short, we're stuck with disco yeti because a better B mode bandage would obliviate the need to bring back a true A mode.

Fascinating. The true Disney dreamers want to bring back the great A mode of the reaching yeti, but fear that a B mode upgrade would ruin their chances to do so. Although Joe Rhode does cry in his occasional beer (He's actually working with the Marvel properties now instead of Animal Kingdom), he sips his brews with the full knowledge that the yeti could be working and that it is only a matter of time before A mode is up and running.

"Safety first" isn't just a saying, it's close to an insane compulsion. When rides go down, it's usually because a sensor went off, which is usually because the sensor malfunctioned or a problem with a less than 1% chance of causing a true safety issue has occurred.

By definition, amusement parks can be dangerous. With such insane attention to safety, litigation against the mouse is truly an uphill battle for any lawyer. Bottom line: Blame the lawyers for disco yeti.
So, what you're saying is that we can have a minimally functioningyeti?

G00fyDad

False. Every so often someone comes in here stating that the yeti is somehow attached to the mountain or track and that it will take a complete shutdown of the ride. People who know have stated multiple times that this is false.

Ralphlaw

And other people continue to say it's true. Why would Disney not fix it if doing so would be easy? The premise that this would be an easy fix makes no logical sense, and it is equally illogical to believe that a successful company would intentionally fail to undertake minimal repairs to a fundamentally cool part of its headline attraction. No steam, no bird, no waterfalls--these are minimal, and few people truly care if these aren't working. But a disco yeti is majorly disappointing. Right or wrong, the notion that a major shutdown would be required makes the most sense, and what this former CM told me adds a critical piece to the puzzle.

Choose to believe it or not.

By the way, the former CM also said that they are not attached, but a weak foundation for the yeti could nevertheless cause stresses to the track simply because they are both standing on ground that is close by. Try working in an office next a construction site. You'll find rolling chairs, falling paintings, shaking computer screens, rattling windows, etc . . . Similarly, an off kilter yeti could easily affect a nearby roller coaster track sufficiently to set off those sensitive sensors and/or disrupt the track beyond Disney's nth degree safety standards.

Again, this all makes the most sense to me. Feel free to believe it or not.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And other people continue to say it's true. Why would Disney not fix it if doing so would be easy? The premise that this would be an easy fix makes no logical sense, and it is equally illogical to believe that a successful company would intentionally fail to undertake minimal repairs to a fundamentally cool part of its headline attraction. No steam, no bird, no waterfalls--these are minimal, and few people truly care if these aren't working. But a disco yeti is majorly disappointing. Right or wrong, the notion that a major shutdown would be required makes the most sense, and what this former CM told me adds a critical piece to the puzzle.

By the way, the former CM also said that they are not attached, but a weak foundation for the yeti could nevertheless cause stresses to the track simply because they are both standing on ground that is close by. Try working in an office next a construction site. You'll find rolling chairs, falling paintings, shaking computer screens, rattling windows, etc . . . Similarly, an off kilter yeti could easily affect a nearby roller coaster track sufficiently to set off those sensitive sensors and/or disrupt the track beyond Disney's nth degree safety standards.

I don't think anyone has implied that the repairs would be easy. They have just stated that it could be done without shutting the ride down.

My personal opinion as to why it has not happened yet, first and foremost, the average guest simply does not care. The attraction is hitting its guest counts and not enough people complain about the lack of a fully functional Yeti.

Lastly, there has been a debate as to who gets the repair bill, WDI or the park. The park supposedly blames WDI for a faulty design and WDI blames the park for improper maintenance. Since the ride is still functional and making its numbers, the easiest way to solve the argument is wait until a refurb budget can cover it.

G00fyDad

I don't think anyone has implied that the repairs would be easy. They have just stated that it could be done without shutting the ride down.

My personal opinion as to why it has not happened yet, first and foremost, the average guest simply does not care. The attraction is hitting its guest counts and not enough people complain about the lack of a fully functional Yeti.

Lastly, there has been a debate as to who gets the repair bill, WDI or the park. The park supposedly blames WDI for a faulty design and WDI blames the park for improper maintenance. Since the ride is still functional and making its numbers, the easiest way to solve the argument is wait until a refurb budget can cover it.

^^^ The REAL reason. ;)

Ralphlaw

Yup, that makes sense too. Personally, I don't think they could do it without a multi-month shutdown. The yeti is major, and even until recently they were bragging it up on the History channel's shows. Someday, we'll find out the full story.

Bairstow

That shouldn't be too long now.
Once Avatar and its new attractions have been up and running for 2 years they can afford to take Dinosaur, then Everest down for extended refurbs.
Hopefully they'll have it running and fixed by 2022.

G00fyDad

Yup, that makes sense too. Personally, I don't think they could do it without a multi-month shutdown. The yeti is major, and even until recently they were bragging it up on the History channel's shows. Someday, we'll find out the full story.

But they don't need to shut down the ride to take the Yeti out. He comes out the bottom and out the back. Of course they don't want to run the ride while they're taking him out for safety reasons, but they could take him out rather quickly, put him on a truck, and take him out the back.

Cesar R M

The excuse will always inevitably fall to either one of these two:

COST
DOWNTIME.

Since there isnt much to do for your "average" park goer in AK.

Tom Morrow

I believe all of this, except the 3 to 6 months of downtime figure. I also know from first-hand CM's at Everest, and @marni1971 has mentioned numerous times that the yeti can be worked on without taking the ride down, and it's very possible that the figure itself has actually been removed, at least partially, at some point in the past.

Ralphlaw

From what I understand, it's not so much the yeti itself as it is the support structure. If a wall in your house is faulty, it's relatively easy to tear it out and bring in lumber to replace it. But if it's a problem with the foundation in your house, especially a piece of foundation that is not accessible from the outside, you have a major rehab in store with old concrete being jack hammered out and hauled away, and new concrete being brought in to fix it. This may require temporary supports and big, heavy, dirty loads of stuff quite literally coming in and out of your front door.

Similarly, if it's the yeti foundation and support structure that is too unstable, the yeti would have to be hauled out, perhaps part of the yeti's foundation would have to be torn up and hauled out, and perhaps even new pilings would have to be driven in. Weak foundations and structures are an ultimate pain to replace. In my opinion there's no way a new foundation and stronger support structure could be put in without a major shutdown. You can't tear out tons of concrete and/or drive pilings down into the ground without a bunch of major work being done. In order to make room fall of this work, the yeti and part of the track would probably have to be taken out and then put back.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From what I understand, it's not so much the yeti itself as it is the support structure. If a wall in your house is faulty, it's relatively easy to tear it out and bring in lumber to replace it. But if it's a problem with the foundation in your house, especially a piece of foundation that is not accessible from the outside, you have a major rehab in store with old concrete being jack hammered out and hauled away, and new concrete being brought in to fix it. This may require temporary supports and big, heavy, dirty loads of stuff quite literally coming in and out of your front door.

Similarly, if it's the yeti foundation and support structure that is too unstable, the yeti would have to be hauled out, perhaps part of the yeti's foundation would have to be torn up and hauled out, and perhaps even new pilings would have to be driven in. Weak foundations and structures are an ultimate pain to replace. In my opinion there's no way a new foundation and stronger support structure could be put in without a major shutdown. You can't tear out tons of concrete and/or drive pilings down into the ground without a bunch of major work being done. In order to make room fall of this work, the yeti and part of the track would probably have to be taken out and then put back.
That is the thing...we don't actually know what is wrong. I have heard everything from the foundation, the sled, the support that is essentially the Yeti's back to the shoulder.

If @marni1971 is correct about no shut down needed (I have zero reason to doubt that he is), then I tend to suspect that if the foundation is not the problem. Even if it is, they might have a way to fix it over a period of time during third shift without closing the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom