Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Over here we have a lot of artificial grass because of the weather. It really isn't slippy at all and the best artificial grass looks very realistic. Of course I cannot comment on heat as us Scot's deem 60 degrees Celsius shorts and t-shirt weather! . Looking forward to seeing the new hub in June/July.

Being a Scot 60 Farenheit is indeed shorts and T-shirt weather, 60 C OTOH requires a water cooled protective suit as that's 140F

DisneyCane

Well we can tell you have never walked on this stuff for any reason, It's slicker than a greased pig when wet, and it gets hot just like any other plastic left in the sun.

As a matter of fact, I have sample pieces of it that I got because I was considering using it on a shady part of my yard. I just went outside and put it on my lawn and sprayed the grass and artificial piece with a hose and walked on it. There was no discernible difference wearing sneakers.

The people that think it is slippery must be referring to either the indoor/outdoor carpet you can get at Home Depot and Lowes or maybe the old "short pile" astroturf from the 70's and 80's.

As far as the heat. It gets hotter than regular grass for sure but it doesn't get hotter than asphalt. Therefore, it isn't a liability or safety issue. People aren't going to be scalded by it. I've walked on it in Las Vegas in July and there wasn't any different feeling between the sidewalk and the artificial grass through my shoes.

erstwo

Thank you for the 'side by side' old park map vs new park map on the home page WDWmagic! It really helped me grasp the changes!

They use tons of the artificial grass for the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot. Around the playgrounds, etc. The stuff is amazing.

Philharmagically

Over here we have a lot of artificial grass because of the weather. It really isn't slippy at all and the best artificial grass looks very realistic. Of course I cannot comment on heat as us Scot's deem 60 degrees Celsius shorts and t-shirt weather! . Looking forward to seeing the new hub in June/July.
Ummm.... Do you mean Fahrenheit? Because I've been to Alice Springs in Central Australia when it was over 50 degrees Celcius, and I think I could have melted from the heat..... :/

Bolt

D--- That's Butt Ugly, Nice job Disney I guess we KNOW show no longer counts for anything at WDW
Haha you're hate makes me smile.
Has it been said whats going on, if anything, with the Partners statue? Or when it will be unboxed?
It's boxed because they are rebuilding the planeter it is in right now. Saw a lot of progress on it this week.

Craigl

Haha you're hate makes me smile.

It's boxed because they are rebuilding the planeter it is in right now. Saw a lot of progress on it this week.
Central ring new concrete, planters, and landscaping to coincide with crane removal around the 15 of march to prepare for massive spring break crowds. As well as scrim on Main Street

Craigl

Scrim is unrelated.
Main Street is absolutely related. After several years of massive construction objective is for a fairly finished product as soon as you set foot in MK looking down main towards castle for the 2015 season wich starts in 2 weeks

BernardandBianca

Today is a good day to test the traction if anyone is in the MK. Showers forecast off and on all day at WDW. I don't like the chances for the FoF parade being dry.

We were there this afternoon, based on our (mistaken) thought that the rain would keep the crowds and lines down -- wrong. Only difference was that the crowds were wet and smelly, as opposed to sweaty and smelly.

Stopped by the new hub areas (both East and West), and thought they looked pretty good. We were able to walk all through them without any CMs even looking at us. The "grass" was great to look at (much better than in the photos), and was not slippery at all. It was a significant improvement over concrete. (In fact, we'd like to know what the actual turf is, to consider replacing our natural grass with.)

The lack of "benches" was apparent. The walls come in three varieties: short wall that you can sit on (in two short places); walls supporting fences but with wide tops which allow seating (on both sides running to the exits); and walls whose sole purpose is to support fences and which you cannot sit on (most of it). While there is now some seating, it is nowhere as extensive as it would seem from the photos. As a couple who enjoys watching people, we were disappointed, but not morose, since there is some seating.

As for the FoF parade, have no clue, since we left before that -- after all, it was raining.

Bolt

Main Street is absolutely related. After several years of massive construction objective is for a fairly finished product as soon as you set foot in MK looking down main towards castle for the 2015 season wich starts in 2 weeks
Let me know in 2 weeks when the scrim is down. I was told April.

DisneyCane

The "grass" was great to look at (much better than in the photos), and was not slippery at all. It was a significant improvement over concrete. (In fact, we'd like to know what the actual turf is, to consider replacing our natural grass with.)

Unless you have a very small lawn or a very large budget, your consideration won't last long. I priced it out for a troublesome part of my yard and if I did the labor myself, it was going to cost $10 per square foot. The turf itself is expensive and then you have to make a proper base for it out of road rock.

DisneyWorld30th

This may have been mentioned but is the viewing area sit down only. Or could you stand?

I have trouble sitting on the ground and remember getting yelled at when watching Tapestry of Nations because I wasn't sitting on the ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom