Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Brian

It's a 'whatever the guests feel like doing" thing.

Although, I'm sure that (during the show) the moment someone stands up, the rest will naturally do the same... not to mention Daddy holding up little Johnny on his shoulders.

PhotoDave219

Main Street is absolutely related. After several years of massive construction objective is for a fairly finished product as soon as you set foot in MK looking down main towards castle for the 2015 season wich starts in 2 weeks

They've had scims on main street many times over the past few years. Its worth dealing with to have a nice main street.

SpaceMountain75

So I've got a question for all of those with insight knowledge: does Disney plan on fixing the lighting towers problem? Or is it just gonna stay how it is right now? I'm so conflicted, because I think they've done a wonderful job, seriously beautiful, except for those towers.

note2001

So I've got a question for all of those with insight knowledge: does Disney plan on fixing the lighting towers problem? Or is it just gonna stay how it is right now? I'm so conflicted, because I think they've done a wonderful job, seriously beautiful, except for those towers.

No insider info here, but looking at the video they released, there are both the numerous street lamps (with speakers) and the taller post lighting. In the video, however, the taller posts are hidden to almost match the trees nearby and the overhead angle diminishes their size and impact. From what I see, I'd have to say that it's all planned and there to stay.

Not all views will be intruded upon with these poles. The key is, if you're taking pictures or video, get to the location a little ahead of the masses and scout out a good angle. Me: I'll just keep my hands down and enjoy the show. I'm sure in the years to come I'll remember the show and not the pole, unless I have a photo of it.

Last edited:

Father Robinson

Here's a question, why all of a sudden are there all these new lighting towers? I know there were a couple there before that were out of people's way and didn't ruin any views. But why all of a sudden are there new ones? Is it for safety, are they emergency lights? Are they show elements? Are they work lights for the hub project? I see a lot of posts where people claim the trees will help blend them in, that may help for some, but certainly not the ones that are directly in front of the castle! As a photographer, this definitely irks me. Trees can be incorporated into photos as natural elements, light poles just look terrible.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Here's a question, why all of a sudden are there all these new lighting towers? I know there were a couple there before that were out of people's way and didn't ruin any views. But why all of a sudden are there new ones? Is it for safety, are they emergency lights? Are they show elements? Are they work lights for the hub project? I see a lot of posts where people claim the trees will help blend them in, that may help for some, but certainly not the ones that are directly in front of the castle! As a photographer, this definitely irks me. Trees can be incorporated into photos as natural elements, light poles just look terrible.
Nothing at Disney is natural. The castle certainly isn't natural and the trees surrounding it certainly were not natural for this Florida pastureland/swampland.

The light poles are just as natural to their surroundings as the artificial grass planted in front of the natural Crystal Palace.

Cesar R M

Nothing at Disney is natural. The castle certainly isn't natural and the trees surrounding it certainly were not natural for this Florida pastureland/swampland.

The light poles are just as natural to their surroundings as the artificial grass planted in front of the natural Crystal Palace.
I think he means natural as in natural to the park environment.

the towers looks very foreign..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's a question, why all of a sudden are there all these new lighting towers? I know there were a couple there before that were out of people's way and didn't ruin any views. But why all of a sudden are there new ones?
The older ones supplemented / improved the lighting from the Victorian style fittings, in particular the roadway areas that the themed lights couldn't reach. It must have been decided they didn't cover enough area or the new outer ring needed supplementary lighting too.

Such a shame that starting from scratch they couldn't utilise a system to hide them when not in use.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Disneyland has lighting towers, too.... When this photo was taken (March 2014), most of DL's lights were the old style par cans, which required each color to have it's own light (they use gels), hence, many more lights per tower. While these are even more intrusive than the MK's new lights, the trees in DL's hub disguise them a bit better. Not only is the DL hub full of these towers, but so is their Town Square. While retractable lighting would be ideal, I can't even imagine what the cost (in Disney dollars) would be.

DSCN0929.JPG

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sorry, but what is "natural" in a park environment?

It seems to me that people are just looking for something to complain about.
I'd say it's a valid complaint for a brand new, purpose planned and built environment.

Especially given the seemingly high quality of the rest of the project so far.

Yes, DL has them. So does DLP. So what? This is a brand new flagship project in a flagship park. Given the thought and planning you'd gave expected them to get everything right. Especially if it involves sightlines, the very thing the project was meant to enhance and expand.

Last edited:

Father Robinson

I'm sorry, but what is "natural" in a park environment?

It seems to me that people are just looking for something to complain about.
Actually we're not looking for reasons to complain, we're wondering why they spent so much time creating a beautifully themed addition to the park but dropped totally UNthemed poles directly in the line of sight. I don't look for reasons to complain, I look for what we all come to expect after spending what for some of us can be a quarter of a year's salary on our vacation.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Lighting tower AND speaker tower in Town Square (at DL)....so my point would be that THEY have them too. Could and should they have done better? Yes, but they didn't.
DSCN1117.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom