Wow poly is ruined...

squidward

Funny just weekend I purchased the new unofficial guide, showed my DS a drawing of the Poly with the new cabanas and he said "Boy they ruined it."

That's exactly what I said when I bought the new book and saw it. I knew it was going to be different, but I honestly thought the draw-up in the book had to be wrong. Beyond comprehension.

Spike-in-Berlin

Now guys, remember, WDW is a business. They'll sacrifice quality to make money anyday.

And exactly that's the difference to Walt's policy. If he would come back, he would fire not only entire TDO but also most of the other bean counters. I didn't like Eisner for several reasons and I still blame him for a lot of mistakes but he was the last one who at least understood the original spirit the parks were founded and grounded in, although he did not a lot to keep it.
The Poly is gone, gone forever and it is not the old Polynesian Village either without the famous lobby, it's the TAFKAPR (The accomodation formerly known as the Polynesian Resort).

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Bummer your viewing spot is gone....I am always looking for a nice uncrowded spot but usually end up wherever we are at just prior....guess I always prefer to watch them IN the MK....sometimes we have watched them through a window at the WL when spending day elsewhere and too tired to head back to the MK....I just read OP and never thought of watching fireworks from beach area at WL....I know some spots play the music outside park and as for the electrical parade we have seen it both from hotel balcony and from in front of MK....sometimes during boat ride back to WL. Have had to change favorite things over the years, but I always think more optimistic, that there are NEW memories and favorites to be made....oh and one time? I watched the fireworks from airplane leaving....that was cool. But I suppose my other favorite watch spot was whilst riding BTM at night and they let us do it twice in a row....THAT was priceless.;)

psukardi

Don't understand why people are so upset about this. Disney has a responsibility to its shareholders & if they felt using empty real-estate was the way to go about it, good for them.

You can still watch the Fireworks from the park and a lot of other places. It's not the end of the world. People were not entitled to that free viewing spot.

DisneyDebNJ

Its no secret, the Poly is my hands down fav... Am I upset about renovations? Kinda.. It really did need a face lift, but maybe not so much at one time. I'll miss the beach (got engaged on the Poly beach) but I really am looking forward to the New and Improved Poly of 2015. We are headed to the Poly in a little more than 50 days, and even though I intend to try to immerse myself into Disney vacation mode, I know there will be things I will miss.

Haymarket2008

Saw the Poly a few days ago and it is in ROUGH shape. But I'm sure the building renovations and Trader Sam's will be more than fantastic. However optimistic I am about the hotel itself, the beach really is upsetting. They need to get rid of half of these bungalows for there to be any substantial beach space. It's almost entirely taken over. It's really bothering me. The energy in that hotel is not a good one. Once the walls are down everyone will be happy.
As long as they stay away from the beach...

squidward

Don't understand why people are so upset about this. Disney has a responsibility to its shareholders & if they felt using empty real-estate was the way to go about it, good for them.

You can still watch the Fireworks from the park and a lot of other places. It's not the end of the world. People were not entitled to that free viewing spot.

Does Disney not have a responsibility to it's guests, especially those that stay at the Poly?

rob0519

And exactly that's the difference to Walt's policy. If he would come back, he would fire not only entire TDO but also most of the other bean counters. I didn't like Eisner for several reasons and I still blame him for a lot of mistakes but he was the last one who at least understood the original spirit the parks were founded and grounded in, although he did not a lot to keep it.
The Poly is gone, gone forever and it is not the old Polynesian Village either without the famous lobby, it's the TAFKAPR (The accomodation formerly known as the Polynesian Resort).

It's time to give up the old "if Walt could come back, he would......" routine. We have no idea what Walt would do. He was conducting business in a very different time. Under today's pressure his decision making process might only not be completely different, he might have lost control of his own company decades ago.

I do agree that Eisner understood the original spirit of the parks. There was a least some effort to keep it, but Wall St. pressure was already starting to get to the company. I also agree the Poly is dead. There is no reason for our family to stay there again. Visitors who never knew what it was like may still enjoy it, but other than stopping by for something to eat we done with that resort.

CdnDznyLuvr

The Poly is our favorite resort on property hands down, however, we are reserving judgement of the "new Poly" until the renovations are completed. Will we miss some things, like the fountain in the GCH? Yes, but we also understand that changes are needed to keep the resort fresh. People will complain no matter what. If no changes were ever made people would complain that the resort looked dated or run down, yet when changes are made people also complain because they feel things should stay the way they are.

squidward

The Poly is our favorite resort on property hands down, however, we are reserving judgement of the "new Poly" until the renovations are completed. Will we miss some things, like the fountain in the GCH? Yes, but we also understand that changes are needed to keep the resort fresh. People will complain no matter what. If no changes were ever made people would complain that the resort looked dated or run down, yet when changes are made people also complain because they feel things should stay the way they are.

I don't agree that people will complain no matter what. People complain because the decision makers at Disney make head-scratching decisions. We all knew DVC was going into the Poly at some point, so no one can complain about that. But the way they did it was -poor in my opinion. A HUGE part of the appeal to the Poly was the beach. And now, it's been rendered useless. Same goes for the GCH. We've seen the drawings. There is nothing more appealing about the way it will be versus the way that it was.

The pool needed changes. It needed more chairs. It needed a hot tub. It needed tighter security to keep non-resort guests out. The GCH did not need any changes, other than internally if there was mold or whatever in the walls. The entire waterfall didn't need to be taken out. As far as I'm concerned, they literally, ripped the heart right out from the Polynesian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom