Wow poly is ruined...

jklakeview

Original Poster
Just went to poly last night to eat at OHana and watch the fireworks. OHana went well, service was slow as usual, but when we went out to the beach I realized how much they destroyed the Poly Beach. No viewing area for the fireworks at all anymore. Those bungalows have taken over the entire beach. It's so depressing to see really. You would have thought they could have saved some of the beach. Usually when we go there, there are 70-100 people out there. Last noght there were maybe 15. No one seems to use such a beautiful location anymore. Such a shame really.

TheRabbit

To them the beach area was just unused real estate. I guess not anymore.
Exactly! The beach doesn't generate revenue. More than ever it is all about the MONEY! They play it off like it enhances the guest experience, yada yada...BS! If it ultimately doesn't put money on the table, Disney isn't going to do it. Thats why you see all the premium packages at hard ticketed events now.

Nubs70

Just went to poly last night to eat at OHana and watch the fireworks. OHana went well, service was slow as usual, but when we went out to the beach I realized how much they destroyed the Poly Beach. No viewing area for the fireworks at all anymore. Those bungalows have taken over the entire beach. It's so depressing to see really. You would have thought they could have saved some of the beach. Usually when we go there, there are 70-100 people out there. Last noght there were maybe 15. No one seems to use such a beautiful location anymore. Such a shame really.
I had the same experience last week. Viewing is available from the marina area or behind the portable movie screen if you cram up against the construction barrier.

The view from directly in front of the Hawaii building is forever gone never to be experienced again.

DougK

I have many happy memories of watching the fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant from the Poly beach. Whenever we went to the Polynesian to do that we we always staying a WDW resort, sometimes the Poly or other times at another deluxe resort or POR, so we were not "freeloading" as Disney may be thinking. I know Disney is a business but some of these changes are beginning to hurt...

tl77

The new Sunset Point is supposed to be elevated above the bungalows with a view of MK... but it's not real big
poly-plans_2014half.jpg

CDavid

I have many happy memories of watching the fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant from the Poly beach. Whenever we went to the Polynesian to do that we we always staying a WDW resort, sometimes the Poly or other times at another deluxe resort or POR, so we were not "freeloading" as Disney may be thinking. I know Disney is a business but some of these changes are beginning to hurt...

What do you mean "beginning" to hurt...

All the little cuts and compromises to the guest experience have been adding up for years. :banghead:

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
What do you mean "beginning" to hurt...

All the little cuts and compromises to the guest experience have been adding up for years. :banghead:

How very true. The sad thing is that all the newer Disney vacationers don't know what they missed out on and therefore can't grasp why all of the Disney lifers keep pointing out and complaining about the changes. I suppose after 10 or 15 years, they'll be the ones on the bandwagon...

Nemo14

How very true. The sad thing is that all the newer Disney vacationers don't know what they missed out on and therefore can't grasp why all of the Disney lifers keep pointing out and complaining about the changes. I suppose after 10 or 15 years, they'll be the ones on the bandwagon...
I shudder to think of how bad things will be then if they get nostalgic about how things are now!

Dog Ate Mouse

That Beach area was relaxing to watch the fire works and to also see the 7 seas light pagent afterwards. Many good peaceful nights spent there doing just that. That is one part of the poly I will miss if it is truly gone. Oh well, now I will just have to go over and watch the fireworks from Ft. Wilderness.

epcotisbest

Yeah, 15 years from now people who have never been before will be saying something like "Can you imagine how dull this spot must have been before they built the cabanas?" Never knowing the beautiful spot that used to be there.

zurgandfriend

Funny just this weekend I purchased the new unofficial guide. I showed my DS a drawing of the Poly with the new cabanas and he said "Boy they ruined it."

Last edited:

bgraham34

In all honesty I am actually surprised Disney never tried a Desert party on the beach at the Poly. I think that would have been more fun than at the MK. That might have saved the Poly. But I am actually looking forward to the final product and then I will finalize my opinion.

squidward

Not that Disney cares, since they cut the standard rooms down to less than 500 when DVC is done, but they are going to lose a lot of return guests. I loved the Poly, but will never stay there again. Part of that love came from being down on the beach watching the fireworks, electrical water pageant, lying on a hammock staring over at the castle. All gone.

I swear, Iger won't be happy until he has destroyed everything that made WDW the wonderful place it once was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom