Wow poly is ruined...

daisyduckie

Can't imagine even a private access beach will have the same view of park and fireworks given visual destruction resulting from "Bungalo" construction. Coupled with losses of nearly every plus that the GCH had, we are glad we stayed at the Poly back in the good ol' days, before DVC destroyed it.

What were the pluses the GCH had and lost? The only thing I am coming up with is the fountain. And my memory of it is unfortunately one of kids climbing all over it and ripping out the flowers.

MaryJaneP

Never saw kids ripping out flowers, but we guess that is possible just like it is possible to have guests ruin any decoration. Besides fountain, which we do not as easily dismiss as some, the Tiki statue that has apparently been replaced by another DVC booth would be an example of one of the numerous losses. We haven't been there since construction began. We are unlikely to stay there post-defurb. We may visit to recall what was in the past. Seems that loss is hard to explain to some. Who knows, we may be wrong and everything is so much better. We just doubt it.

POLY LOVER

ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOBBY, replaced a waterfall with a water fountain. Come on Disney fix this mess you can do it.
I love the POLY and I'll not be happy until the lobby gets fixed.

FOR THE TIKI GOD LOVERS, I THINK THE TIKI GOD IS NOW IN THE GIFT SHOP WHEN I WAS LAST THERE.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So on our last trip there (well, every trip), we stopped at the Tambu Lounge and spoke to one of the barkeeps (prior to all of the work). We knew that the lobby was going to go through a massive change, and that the fountain was certainly going, and we talked with him about it. He stated that he couldn't wait for it, because that fountain caused all kinds of extra work for them. Because of the age and other problems with it, they actually had to clean everything multiple times at night due to the humidity and moisture from the fountain, and that because it had possible infectious spores coming from it, they had to be extra careful in how everything was cleaned. In talking with other people, the design of the fountain pretty much dictated that in order to fix the current problems, it was going to have to be completely ripped out and redone anyway. In looking at the new lobby, I agree that it is actually more inviting, but the new water feature could have been bigger. It just seems that Disney is wrong no matter what they do nowadays, if it doesn't jibe with what someone else feels they should have done.

Will I miss the old fountain? No. I think it simply took up too much space in the old lobby. Am I in the minority here? Yes. Do I agree with everything they are doing? No. I am not a big fan of the bungalows.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just went to poly last night to eat at OHana and watch the fireworks. OHana went well, service was slow as usual, but when we went out to the beach I realized how much they destroyed the Poly Beach. No viewing area for the fireworks at all anymore. Those bungalows have taken over the entire beach. It's so depressing to see really. You would have thought they could have saved some of the beach. Usually when we go there, there are 70-100 people out there. Last noght there were maybe 15. No one seems to use such a beautiful location anymore. Such a shame really.

Just pay for one of the bungalows, I don't see what the problem is. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom