Wow poly is ruined...

ArielLover

I wonder hoe many people staying at the Poly took advantage of the beach, from most comments it seems people travel to the beach from other hotels, doesn't seem like a loss to me for the Poly.

tecowdw

Saw the Poly a few days ago and it is in ROUGH shape. But I'm sure the building renovations and Trader Sam's will be more than fantastic. However optimistic I am about the hotel itself, the beach really is upsetting. They need to get rid of half of these bungalows for there to be any substantial beach space. It's almost entirely taken over. It's really bothering me. The energy in that hotel is not a good one. Once the walls are down everyone will be happy.
As long as they stay away from the beach...

Just booked a last minute trip to WDW for the weekend after next. When it came to pick a resort, I was torn. Now bear in mind that I am one of those people where atmosphere in a very important factor in my resort choices.
;)

The Polynesian is my first love and I have stayed there many many times. A three night stay would have been just shy of $1000 (AP discounted even). I just can't see spending that much for a resort that is so tore up for now. I can't even imagine the lobby all walled up while they tear down the water feature. :cry: I miss the macaws too.

I chose to stay in a one-bedroom villa at Old Key West for the same amount - without tons of construction with a plus of more room to boot. While it's not the same atmosphere as the Polynesian it is certainly a nice alternative.

I don't know how the atmosphere of the Polynesian will feel once the bungalows and DVC are done but it will be a changed landscape forever at my perennial favorite. I'm encouraged though that it seemed work out pretty well when DVC was added to both the Contemporary and Grand Floridian resorts. Well, now that I think about it, it worked well at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Beach Club too. I guess the Imagineers really know how to do it! :angelic:

But for my hard earned $$, I'll stay away during the conversion process!!
:cool:

CaptainShortty

Personally, I'm waiting until after the renovations to decide if it's "ruined" or not. Yes, the nostalgic Poly is "gone" but who's to say as of yet if that's really a bad thing. Just think of all the things we wouldn't have if the park was exactly the same as it was in 1971. So much of the things we love wouldn't be there to enjoy today. No, I'm not saying WDW the way it is right now it perfect...but I'm going to wait until the construction walls come down to decide if it's better or worse than the way it was. Just my two cents...

hsisthebest

I always thought most people went to Disney because they found beaches boring. We have to have something to DO on our vacations, not just lay on a beach and read for a week. The hardest people to ever "get" why we love Disney so much are beach-goers who detest crowds/buses/etc. But a hotel room over water seems like the sweetest thing ever. We have a Ohana breakfast at Poly in less than 2 weeks :) so I'll see how it looks then.

DougK

There is actually only one reason left to still visit the Poly. Tonga Toast for breakfast and that's about it. I don't see any reason to stay there any longer than for breakfast. If they would serve Tonga Toast somewhere in the MK, even that reason would be gone.

You know you can go there to eat Tonga Toast without actually staying at the Poly, right? No use paying those ridiculous room rates just so you can eat there.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I always thought most people went to Disney because they found beaches boring. We have to have something to DO on our vacations, not just lay on a beach and read for a week. The hardest people to ever "get" why we love Disney so much are beach-goers who detest crowds/buses/etc. But a hotel room over water seems like the sweetest thing ever. We have a Ohana breakfast at Poly in less than 2 weeks :) so I'll see how it looks then.
If you dislike the beach, what appeals to you about a beach bungalow?

MMDVC

I thought the whole idea for GCH renovation was to "open" the resort similar to Aulani. So why destroy the beach view with the bungalows??? They seriously need to build upper level outdoor viewing with a Bar. Rooftop preferably!

Polydweller

Couldn't disagree more. Stayed there 3 times, and I won't stay there again. Beach was a HUGE part of why we stayed there. So was the GCH.
The beach isn't going away. Access to the beach may become more restricted to only resort guests. If you stay there you get even more exclusive access. Once the pool refurb is finished resort guests will have access to the entire main beach. It will be a reason to stay there.

Sassagoula-Rvr

A couple things:
1. when people say "Walt would do this with TDO" or whatever...in reality...WDW would probably have never existed in the form that you remember from the golden days "had Walt been around". He was never much for repeating things...and by all accounts he was getting a little tired of theme parks. EPCOT was his baby...and certainly it wouldn't be a theme park had he lived.

2. I am actually pretty excited for this...it's just too bad I probably won't be able to afford to stay in them.

Spike-in-Berlin

I wonder hoe many people staying at the Poly took advantage of the beach, from most comments it seems people travel to the beach from other hotels, doesn't seem like a loss to me for the Poly.

Of course the beach lost an important function when many years ago swimming in the Seven Seas Lagoon was permanently forbidden. I don't know exactly when that happened but in my 1991 Birnbaum it still says "swimming in the lagoon is allowed in the roped-off areas when lifeguard is on duty". But the beach still is a very important part of stay at the Polynesian, especially in the evening because Wishes from the Poly's beach is a very special experience. Believe me, MANY guests at the Poly took advantage of the beach and it is a huge loss, next to the defurbishing of the lobby in the GCH and the loss of the Nanea Volcano pool.

DisneyDebNJ

The beach isn't going away. Access to the beach may become more restricted to only resort guests. If you stay there you get even more exclusive access. Once the pool refurb is finished resort guests will have access to the entire main beach. It will be a reason to stay there.
Im actually looking foward to work being completed next year, seeing the Poly with all her *bandaids* off with a new look. I just wish they didn't undertake so much at one time.

Mama4L

So…stayed at Poly for the first time with my then 7 and 4 year old in 2012. The last trip with my mom before she passed. We have the most amazing memories of the beach. We had a garden view but would watch movies on the beach and LOVED the view. WTH is up with the bungalows?! I just saw an overhead image of how much space they are actually taking up vs. the renderings. When I asked my daughter her #1 thing abut our trip, she said our hotel. We are coming back in Sept. 2015 and we were 100% going to stay there but now after looking at the bungalows…I'm just heartbroken. Those bungalows take away the vibe, the view, the coziness, the serenity, the "deluxe" that was Poly. :(((( So sad.

MaryJaneP

Can't imagine even a private access beach will have the same view of park and fireworks given visual destruction resulting from "Bungalo" construction. Coupled with losses of nearly every plus that the GCH had, we are glad we stayed at the Poly back in the good ol' days, before DVC destroyed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom