The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Oh I totally think the women back then were able to handle it. But you think about all the literature from the 1800s, when women were fainting all over and needed "the vapors", and women who were pregnant were thought to be "in a delicate condition", etc. I personally think it's a crock of hooey...they had numerous children, a lot of whom died young...they HAD to be tough, because as you said, life was tough. But you wouldn't swear around a lady, or use rough talk or tell bawdy jokes...those were only for the men, and I was just surprised by how candid the letter was, being written to a lady.

Yea, it could be a number of reasons, or any combination thereof, why he chose to share all that with her.
Maybe the troops didn't talk about that stuff and this was the only way he could "get it out of his system". Maybe that was just the kind of relationship they had, where they talked about most everything, etc., etc, etc.
It would be interesting to know.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yea, I was thinking about that the other day. My daughter was complaining about having to buy shoes for every occasion. There's baseball, basketball, slumming shoes and, of course, the ever popular, status identifying, school shoes. Unlike when I was a kid my mother took me to the shoe store and bought one pair of multi purpose Keds high tops for about $5.00 a pair, the minimum my daughter can pay, and not be racked with guilt because she is an unloving parent, is $90.00 per pair and they last a maximum of 6 months usually less.
I'm cheap!!!! My kids get sneakers at the outlets or Target:D

Cesar R M

More like lazy day by the pool. Our first FP isn't until 4:45.
lazy morning... then fastpass at 4+pm
3SGPfVX.gif

Songbird76

Yea, it could be a number of reasons, or any combination thereof, why he chose to share all that with her.
Maybe the troops didn't talk about that stuff and this was the only way he could "get it out of his system". Maybe that was just the kind of relationship they had, where they talked about most everything, etc., etc, etc.
It would be interesting to know.
Everything I've read about them indicates that that's just how they were. They were both very well-known in the community and she was known for looking in on the sick, etc. They were prominent members of the church community, he having been a minister in 3 different churches and apparently walking long distances to do services in other towns, and of course he was also a government official for a while. It sounds like they were just really involved in everything TOGETHER, so they would probably also have talked about everything. It sounds like they were a very strong couple...it's kind of sad, actually, because it seems to have stopped with them. Their son, (my grandfather's father) was basically abandoned by his mother, and never knew his father. BUT, I did hear from our cousins that his father didn't know he existed until he was an adult...I guess he and my g-grandmother were never married, or divorced before my grandpa was born. Just makes you wonder, since my g-g-grandparents were so TOGETHER, what led to the situation where my grandfather never knew his dad? I'd love to hear the whole story. My grandpa was very resentful toward his mother because he had lived with her parents until he was 5 or 6 and he LOVED them. Then one day his mom showed up with her new husband and took him and his half sister away and they left for...Nebraska maybe? I know my grandmother was from Nebraska, but I don't remember how they met. But my grandpa was very close with his half-sister and she got sick, but their parents belonged to some religious group that didn't believe in medicine and refused to do anything but pray. She died and my grandpa never forgave them for taking them from her parents and for letting his sister die. He ran away as soon as he could take care of himself. He had a very hard life...and I can only imagine how different it would have been if he had known his other half of the family who didn't even know he existed, and/or been allowed to stay with his mom's parents. I find that whole branch of the family tree fascinating and I wish I knew more about them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom