The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

I have a copy of a letter my G-G-G-G- grandfather wrote to his wife during the civil war and he talks about standing next to his friend, talking and a canon ball took the friend's head off right in front of him, and how there's no food, etc...it's pretty gruesome. I was actually surprised he wrote such a thing to a woman in that time period, when women were considered weak and squeamish, but I suppose he knew his wife and she was probably a tough cookie.

Funny, other than the Scarlet O'hara, etc., types ;) from back then, I've actually never pictured women from then (actually, more women and men - to me, anyway - appear more "weak and squeamish" in recent times) being that way at all (and, even "poor" Scarlet
ended up being pretty tough towards the end ;)). They were tough as nails from most accounts. If you think about the times and conditions for the vast majority of people in the world over all of time, until comparatively recently, life was pretty tough.
I can only relate my firsthand experience with both of my grandmothers on their farms. They liked frilly things and dressing up nice for church and stuff, but, make no mistake, when it came right down to it (and, they would both ask God to forgive me for posting this :angelic:) they were both bada$$es and had no problem keeping up with my grandfathers. Same with my mom and pop, for the most part.

Bottom line, most soldiers probably didn't get that "descriptive" in their letters back home, but, I have no problem imagining a woman from back in that time being able to more than handle it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Please stop doing things to annoy poor Jack. Maybe his behavior would improve if he wasn't always on edge:cautious:

Poor Jack's behavior is a lost cause. Even the slightest change in the routine throws him off (the sight of me deep cleaning yesterday was traumatic for him, as I usually only do the minimum). :p Plus, he kept smelling the floor cleaning liquid, and his face looked like this -- :confused: . Ha! I like getting a reaction out of him--it's cheap entertainment for me! :D

Figgy1

Premium Member
Poor Jack's behavior is a lost cause. Even the slightest change in the routine throws him off (the sight of me deep cleaning yesterday was traumatic for him, as I usually only do the minimum). :p Plus, he kept smelling the floor cleaning liquid, and his face looked like this -- :confused: . Ha! I like getting a reaction out of him--it's cheap entertainment for me! :D
No wonder he doesn't behave:cautious:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Good morning all! Another cool and rainy morning here. I'm trying to enjoy the calm morning because the next few days will not be calm, but in a good way. My niece is coming to visit until Sunday, she is 12 and easy going but still keeping her entertained is fun but tiring. Our town festival is this weekend so that includes some stuff to do. I think we will take her to the Arborteum, she will like all the plants and flowers. She also likes eating at the bar in our town, they have really good food, and tonight is $2 taco night (huge tacos). My niece's favorite food is tacos so she will be beyond thrilled!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom