Using my mothers band and FP

JohnD

So they're all clones of eachother and there's no way to know which band entered the park for admission?

Wrong. Each profile has band(s) registered to it. (Each band as an ID#). Mom could be wearing a fashionable pink band and have her blue band in her pocket. Both bands are registered to her profile. She could give her blue band to her daughter thus enabling her to use her FPs while she leaves the park, returns to her resort and enters her room with her pink band.

I've personally switched bands while in MK. I might enter with a blue band during the day. Then at 7pm, at the start of MNSSHP, put it in my pocket and put on my Halloween Party MB I bought a year ago.

contrariwise

Wrong. Each profile has band(s) registered to it. (Each band as an ID#). Mom could be wearing a fashionable pink band and have her blue band in her pocket. Both bands are registered to her profile. She could give her blue band to her daughter thus enabling her to use her FPs while she leaves the park, returns to her resort and enters her room with her pink band.

I've personally switched bands while in MK. I might enter with a blue band during the day. Then at 7pm, at the start of MNSSHP, put it in my pocket and put on my Halloween Party MB I bought a year ago.
That is what I meant. All of MY bands would be clones of each other. All of my daughter's bands would be clones of each other. Correct?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
K. Well you're wrong. So.

The issue is with how you're defining "used." It's not an all-encompassing "used," it's "used" within the context of "a ticket with admission rights." You USE a ticket with admission rights when you enter the park in the morning. That's it.

Based on your ridiculous definition, Disney could revoke your MagicBand if you go to the pool with your wife and then USE her band to open your hotel room door when you get back. It's nonsense.

Also under your definition, the clause no longer applies if you put the icon of a MagicBand 2.0 into a MagicKeeper since it's not a BAND anymore and, as you point out, BAND is the operative word. See what happens when you're pedantic? BAND is not the operative word. "Admission rights" are the operative words.
Don't like it? Call Disney and ask.
So instead of calling, I sent an email.

The question I asked:

I'm wondering if it's ok to let another member of my party take and use my MagicBand to access a FastPass+ if I decide I don't want to ride a particular attraction. I'd hate to have that FP+ go to waste.

The response I got:

Dear Larry,

We are pleased to learn that you are planning to visit Walt Disney World® Resort and appreciate your desire to make your visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible! While we sincerely appreciate your request, this electronic mail department does not have the ability to access your My Disney Experience® account on your behalf.

MagicBands are non transferable however FastPasses can be transferred between guests that each have valid park admission. For assistance with your MyDisneyExperience account, please call our Internet Help Desk at 407-939-7765, option 3. Cast Members are available from 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM, EST, seven days a week.

For security purposes, we will ask for verification on all accounts we will need to assist you with. Please have the following information available for each account: First and last name registered to the account, e-mail address of the account and the address listed on the profile.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.
Sincerely,
//Name Redacted//
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

So there you have it -- according to an official Disney email, FP+s can be transferred between party members, but MagicBands can't.

Again, are CMs confiscating MBs or blocking accounts? Not that I know of.
Will they let DGD use DGM's MB for a FP+?
What does the policy say?

contrariwise

So instead of calling, I sent an email.

The question I asked:

I'm wondering if it's ok to let another member of my party take and use my MagicBand to access a FastPass+ if I decide I don't want to ride a particular attraction. I'd hate to have that FP+ go to waste.

The response I got:

Dear Larry,

We are pleased to learn that you are planning to visit Walt Disney World® Resort and appreciate your desire to make your visit as comfortable and enjoyable as possible! While we sincerely appreciate your request, this electronic mail department does not have the ability to access your My Disney Experience® account on your behalf.

MagicBands are non transferable however FastPasses can be transferred between guests that each have valid park admission. For assistance with your MyDisneyExperience account, please call our Internet Help Desk at 407-939-7765, option 3. Cast Members are available from 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM, EST, seven days a week.

For security purposes, we will ask for verification on all accounts we will need to assist you with. Please have the following information available for each account: First and last name registered to the account, e-mail address of the account and the address listed on the profile.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.
Sincerely,
//Name Redacted//
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

So there you have it -- according to an official Disney email, FP+s can be transferred between party members, but MagicBands can't.

Again, are CMs confiscating MBs or blocking accounts? Not that I know of.
Will they let DGD use DGM's MB for a FP+?
What does the policy say?

Color me still confused. So are they saying feel free to swap magicbands amongst your party provided everyone has used said bands for admission? Or that you need to call the help desk ahead of time to officially make a switch?

Cosmic Commando

Color me still confused. So are they saying feel free to swap magicbands amongst your party provided everyone has used said bands for admission? Or that you need to call the help desk ahead of time to officially make a switch?
I believe it's possible to switch fastpasses on the app, but technically it's against the rules to use someone else's band.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I have read in many posts that people swapped bands in order to use the fast passes. I do not consider it abusing the system. Everyone is entering the park. I am not using a fast pass from someone who is fictitious or does not exist. If this is frowned upon then we will not do it.
I have lurked on these boards for many years. We are original DVC members since 1993, and I enjoy coming on here and getting advice for our trips.
I joined two years ago because I was not able to view pictures. I never thought that I would write into the board.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

It doesn't matter how you consider it, you're on their property and you have to play by their rules which state that you are not allowed to let anyone else use your band for FP+ entry.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
No, that's absolutely incorrect. The thing that's "nontransferable" is the admission. OP, there's nothing that constitutes "abuse" in what you're describing and it has nothing to do with the thing they're actually cracking down on.

**WRONG**

Q. Can other people use my MagicBand or card?

A. No. Your MagicBand or card is unique to you and only you are authorized to access the benefits associated with it—including linked tickets, FastPass+ experiences, touch-to-pay purchases and other entitlements. Once a MagicBand or card is linked to your Disney account, it cannot be transferred to another person.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/transferring-to-friend/

disneygeek90

I was there yesterday, a boy in front of me at EE it seemed tried to scan his magicband twice. I didn't hear the entire conversation, but it ended with the castmember saying something to the tune of "go get their magicband and you can scan that one." So not only do they know about people using other people's FP, but they don't seem to care or discourage it.

As long as the individual is in the park, idk why it matters. Paper FP's were tossed around all the time between strangers and families. This is no different.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was there yesterday, a boy in front of me at EE it seemed tried to scan his magicband twice. I didn't hear the entire conversation, but it ended with the castmember saying something to the tune of "go get their magicband and you can scan that one." So not only do they know about people using other people's FP, but they don't seem to care or discourage it.

As long as the individual is in the park, idk why it matters. Paper FP's were tossed around all the time between strangers and families. This is no different.
I seem to recall wording on the paper FastPasses saying they, too, were nontransferable. With those, however, they had no way of auditing to see which ticket those paper FPs came from, so there was no way to enforce the rule. Today, however, they can in some cases tell when MagicBands are being shared or misused by guests.

disneygeek90

I seem to recall wording on the paper FastPasses saying they, too, were nontransferable. With those, however, they had no way of auditing to see which ticket those paper FPs came from, so there was no way to enforce the rule. Today, however, they can in some cases tell when MagicBands are being shared or misused by guests.
They can, sure. But really, what's the point? If a 10 year old boy wants to ride EE twice and use his moms fastpass who doesn't do coasters, what's the difference? The allotted amount of people receiving fastpasses does not change in the eyes of the attraction.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
They can, sure. But really, what's the point? If a 10 year old boy wants to ride EE twice and use his moms fastpass who doesn't do coasters, what's the difference? The allotted amount of people receiving fastpasses does not change in the eyes of the attraction.

It's really no different than using a pool at a resort that you're not entitled to use. The only difference here is that the rules are not posted on a sign next to the ride entrance.

contrariwise

I agree with this, but with the rumor that Disney is cracking down, the OP asked a legitimate question. It's not really whether it should be ok, but whether Disney is going to (a) know about this particular scenario and (b) do anything about it. We've shared magicbands amongst our party with no trouble (and seemingly with CM's blessings), but that was before this PR campaign preaching doom and gloom.

disneygeek90

I agree with this, but with the rumor that Disney cracking down, the OP asked a legitimate question. It's not really whether it should be ok, but whether Disney is going to (a) know about this particular scenario and (b) do anything about it. We've shared magicbands amongst our party with no trouble (and seemingly with CM's blessings), but that was before this PR campaign preaching doom and gloom.
Like I said, yesterday the CM basically told the person in front of me to get someone else's band for a FP. As far as the CM's go, it doesn't seem as if they care at all. I'm not sure if that's standard protocol but... I don't see many making a scene of it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Like I said, yesterday the CM basically told the person in front of me to get someone else's band for a FP. As far as the CM's go, it doesn't seem as if they care at all. I'm not sure if that's standard protocol but... I don't see many making a scene of it.

CMs (and guests) not caring and it not being against the rules are two different things though. I don't have a problem with doing it, but it's still technically against the rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom