Using my mothers band and FP

Ken Geiser

Original Poster
I realize that they have cracked down on using tickets to get fast passes if the person did not enter the park. Here is my question. My mother is elderly but we still reserve fast passes in her name. We are able to use her band to enter fast pass rides because she has entered the park through the normal entrance gate.
If my mother decides to leave the park early are we still able to use an older band that is linked to her? In other words my mother would keep her current band, and we would have a previous trips band that belongs to my mother. I hope that this makes sense.

Ken Geiser

Original Poster
I have read in many posts that people swapped bands in order to use the fast passes. I do not consider it abusing the system. Everyone is entering the park. I am not using a fast pass from someone who is fictitious or does not exist. If this is frowned upon then we will not do it.
I have lurked on these boards for many years. We are original DVC members since 1993, and I enjoy coming on here and getting advice for our trips.
I joined two years ago because I was not able to view pictures. I never thought that I would write into the board.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

JohnD

I realize that they have cracked down on using tickets to get fast passes if the person did not enter the park. Here is my question. My mother is elderly but we still reserve fast passes in her name. We are able to use her band to enter fast pass rides because she has entered the park through the normal entrance gate.
If my mother decides to leave the park early are we still able to use an older band that is linked to her? In other words my mother would keep her current band, and we would have a previous trips band that belongs to my mother. I hope that this makes sense.

You're not abusing the system. Your mother leaving early and giving you her paper FPs would be no different under the old system. The difference, in the interests of fairness, is that you could use your app to cancel her FPs (assuming they're linked). If not, they're still reserved and not freed up for others. Sure, keep her MB and use them.

JohnD

As printed on the back of the Magic Band:
"If this band includes admission rights, it is a nontransferable ticket and it is NONTRANSFERABLE; MUST BE USED BY THE SAME PERSON ON ALL DAYS."

Yes, it is used by the same person to enter the park each day. What if the mother decided she didn't want to ride Space Mountain? Her daughter rides using her MB while the mother waits. Then the mother hands her daughter her MB after she finishes the ride and the daughter rides again using her mother' s MB in the same hour. So what? The FP reservation is already made.

Kingoglow

Yes, it is against the terms and conditions that you agreed to.
Yes, you will still be able to do this.
Yes, given the current crack down, it seems shady to a lot of people.
Yes, lots of other people still do this.

But let's be honest here. You would not be setting the most upstanding example for your children. And it is not difficult to change the Fastpass experience for individual members of your party. If you goto mine train then book your mom for Peter Pan.

Have a good trip.

Legendary

Yes, it is against the terms and conditions that you agreed to.
Yes, you will still be able to do this.
Yes, given the current crack down, it seems shady to a lot of people.
Yes, lots of other people still do this.

But let's be honest here. You would not be setting the most upstanding example for your children. And it is not difficult to change the Fastpass experience for individual members of your party. If you goto mine train then book your mom for Peter Pan.

Have a good trip.
Get your point but in reality switching a FP day of and getting an attraction like PP early in the day is very difficult. She would have to settle for something like IASW. Which in my opinion is a waste of a FP. It's mom's FP let her use it the way she wants to.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's mom's FP let her use it the way she wants to.
Well, since it's "nontransferable," her official options are to enjoy the ride or let it expire unused.
Unofficially, WDW may let her get away with giving her band to her DGD, but like so many other things WDW allows that don't track with their policies, all it takes is one stickler for the rules to turn a happy moment into a trip to Guest Relations.

CaptainAmerica

Well, since it's "nontransferable," her official options are to enjoy the ride or let it expire unused.
Unofficially, WDW may let her get away with giving her band to her DGD, but like so many other things WDW allows that don't track with their policies, all it takes is one stickler for the rules to turn a happy moment into a trip to Guest Relations.
No, that's absolutely incorrect. The thing that's "nontransferable" is the admission. OP, there's nothing that constitutes "abuse" in what you're describing and it has nothing to do with the thing they're actually cracking down on.

Think about it this way. When they had paper Fastpasses, Disney actually encouraged you to give them to other guests if you didn't plan on using them as a sort of guest-to-guest magical moment. This is no different than handing someone a paper fastpass.

As printed on the back of the Magic Band:
"If this band includes admission rights, it is a nontransferable ticket and it is NONTRANSFERABLE; MUST BE USED BY THE SAME PERSON ON ALL DAYS."
You're contradicting yourself. That clause specifically says that the ADMISSION RIGHTS are the thing that's nontransferable. It doesn't say anything about Fastpasses.

JohnD

No, that's absolutely incorrect. The thing that's "nontransferable" is the admission. OP, there's nothing that constitutes "abuse" in what you're describing and it has nothing to do with the thing they're actually cracking down on.

Think about it this way. When they had paper Fastpasses, Disney actually encouraged you to give them to other guests if you didn't plan on using them as a sort of guest-to-guest magical moment. This is no different than handing someone a paper fastpass.

You're contradicting yourself. That clause specifically says that the ADMISSION RIGHTS are the thing that's nontransferable. It doesn't say anything about Fastpasses.

Exactly. It's about admission. Either the FPs get used or you could use your app and delete them. If a member of your party doesn't want to use them, handing off the MB is no different than using an old paper ticket. Of course, unlike the paper pass, you can't hand off your MB to a stranger. Out of courtesy, I would encourage a party to delete remaining FPs if all are leaving the park, though.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Let's parse this out in English, shall we...

If this band includes admission rights, (band being the operative word)
it is a nontransferable ticket (meaning it has become an actual ticket, not just a band to access features like the FP+)
and it is NONTRANSFERABLE; (means nobody else can use it)
MUST BE USED BY THE SAME PERSON ON ALL DAYS (also means nobody else can use it).

You can argue that WDW isn't enforcing this when it comes to FP+s, and you'd be right. But WDW would be perfectly within their rights to deactivate the band and its account if someone other than the person whose admission media was on the band was caught using it.

CaptainAmerica

it is a nontransferable ticket (meaning it has become an actual ticket, not just a band to access features like the FP+)
MUST BE USED BY THE SAME PERSON ON ALL DAYS (also means nobody else can use it).

You can argue that WDW isn't enforcing this when it comes to FP+s, and you'd be right. But WDW would be perfectly within their rights to deactivate the band and its account if someone other than the person whose admission media was on the band was caught using it.
K. Well you're wrong. So.

The issue is with how you're defining "used." It's not an all-encompassing "used," it's "used" within the context of "a ticket with admission rights." You USE a ticket with admission rights when you enter the park in the morning. That's it.

Based on your ridiculous definition, Disney could revoke your MagicBand if you go to the pool with your wife and then USE her band to open your hotel room door when you get back. It's nonsense.

Also under your definition, the clause no longer applies if you put the icon of a MagicBand 2.0 into a MagicKeeper since it's not a BAND anymore and, as you point out, BAND is the operative word. See what happens when you're pedantic? BAND is not the operative word. "Admission rights" are the operative words.

Don't like it? Call Disney and ask.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
K. Well you're wrong. So.

The issue is with how you're defining "used." It's not an all-encompassing "used," it's "used" within the context of "a ticket with admission rights." You USE a ticket with admission rights when you enter the park in the morning. That's it.

Based on your ridiculous definition, Disney could revoke your MagicBand if you go to the pool with your wife and then USE her band to open your hotel room door when you get back. It's nonsense.

Also under your definition, the clause no longer applies if you put the icon of a MagicBand 2.0 into a MagicKeeper since it's not a BAND anymore and, as you point out, BAND is the operative word. See what happens when you're pedantic? BAND is not the operative word. "Admission rights" are the operative words.

Don't like it? Call Disney and ask.
You can argue with me all you want. You can't argue with the language they printed on the band.

sjhym333

I believe the intent by Disney is to keep people from making more than 3 FP reservations using ticket media that is not being used in the park during the day. I don't believe Disney is looking to stop someone from using a FP reservation made by someone in their party who has entered the park but decides not to ride. The enforcement of the rules is aimed toward reducing fraud not for families who by situation may find someone in the park not wanting to ride.

JohnD

The ticket hasn't been transferred if already inside the park. It has already been used for admission by the person designated. Completely a different matter if you decide to hand off your MB to someone else outside the park BEFORE admission.

mousehockey37

There's something being overlooked here...

Can't you only have 1 band linked to your current trip at a time?

So in this instance, if granny enters the park, then leaves with her band on her wrist, then that's her active band. She can't have another one correct? I mean, if she leaves the band, she's out a key to get back in the room as well.. .unless she stops at the desk. Which could create a different hassle. Right?

CaptainAmerica

There's something being overlooked here...

Can't you only have 1 band linked to your current trip at a time?

So in this instance, if granny enters the park, then leaves with her band on her wrist, then that's her active band. She can't have another one correct? I mean, if she leaves the band, she's out a key to get back in the room as well.. .unless she stops at the desk. Which could create a different hassle. Right?
No, that's 100% incorrect. You could enter with one band on your wrist and five in your pocket and use each of them throughout the day. There's no data actually ON the band. It's all on your profile. So it's not like tickets and Fastpasses are stored on Blue MagicBand #729, they're stored on your MDX profile. All Blue MagicBand #729 does is "point" the reader to your profile where those entitlements live. It's like having 50 duplicate keys to one car. You can use whichever one you want because all of your data is in the car, not on any one key.

contrariwise

I take it mom needs her band to get back in the hotel room? If not, I would say just keep mom's band that was used for admission. It may technically be a no-no, but to me, it's a small no-no and I think it's unlikely to get flagged.

If mom does need the band for the hotel room, would there be another way for her to get into the room? Not sure how, but that might be something to brainstorm. Can you still get an old-fashioned key card?

FWIW, I read all the info about Disney cracking down, but I haven't seen too much evidence of it. But as others have said, you would hate to be that person that got flagged. Talk about un-magical ....

CaptainAmerica

I take it mom needs her band to get back in the hotel room? If not, I would say just keep mom's band that was used for admission. It may technically be a no-no, but to me, it's a small no-no and I think it's unlikely to get flagged.

If mom does need the band for the hotel room, would there be another way for her to get into the room? Not sure how, but that might be something to brainstorm. Can you still get an old-fashioned key card?

FWIW, I read all the info about Disney cracking down, but I haven't seen too much evidence of it. But as others have said, you would hate to be that person that got flagged. Talk about un-magical ....
Again this has nothing to do with it. It's not a no-no and it's not what they're "cracking down" on. That refers to a completely different and much more elaborate scheme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom