Using my mothers band and FP

disneygeek90

CMs (and guests) not caring and it not being against the rules are two different things though. I don't have a problem with doing it, but it's still technically against the rules.
I'm sure they don't want to actively encourage people tossing (legal, active) bands around. But at the same time I don't think it's something they want to strictly enforce.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm sure they don't want to actively encourage people tossing (legal, active) bands around. But at the same time I don't think it's something they want to strictly enforce.
Which was one of my original points -- they obviously don't have to enforce any rules they make, but they've labeled the bands quite clearly so they CAN enforce them should they decide to.

disneygeek90

Which was one of my original points -- they obviously don't have to enforce any rules they make, but they've labeled the bands quite clearly so they CAN enforce them should they decide to.
Absolutely. I just don't think they feel like raining on a few kid's days by doing so.

JohnD

MBs are non-transferable for admission. They must be used for the person assigned when entering. They say you can transfer FPs. Good luck getting the majority of people trying to figure that out with the app. Easier just to hand over your MB to another member of your party. Again, even if you remaIn in the park and intend to sit out a ride, why let your FP+ take up space in the system? Yes, you could cancel it. But is it really such a sin to hand over your MB to, say, your daughter and let her ride while you wait? If you have a larger party, there tends to be one person who scheduled all the FPs for the whole group anyway. Handing over the MB isn't adding any more than what was scheduled for the group already.

The difference from the old system is that you could only do this with someone you know. In the old system you could give your FP to a complete stranger. Can't do that with an MB. If you did, now THAT would be wrong.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
MBs are non-transferable for admission. They must be used for the person assigned when entering. They say you can transfer FPs. Good luck getting the majority of people trying to figure that out with the app. Easier just to hand over your MB to another member of your party. Again, even if you remaIn in the park and intend to sit out a ride, why let your FP+ take up space in the system? Yes, you could cancel it. But is it really such a sin to hand over your MB to, say, your daughter and let her ride while you wait? If you have a larger party, there tends to be one person who scheduled all the FPs for the whole group anyway. Handing over the MB isn't adding any more than what was scheduled for the group already.

The difference from the old system is that you could only do this with someone you know. In the old system you could give your FP to a complete stranger. Can't do that with an MB. If you did, now THAT would be wrong.

That's incorrect, they're non-transferable for any purpose. The FP+ assigned to the account can be transferred to another account, but the MB can not be handed to someone else to use. CMs don't always (possibly don't ever) enforce the rule.

Q. Can other people use my MagicBand or card?

A. No. Your MagicBand or card is unique to you and only you are authorized to access the benefits associated with it—including linked tickets, FastPass+ experiences, touch-to-pay purchases and other entitlements. Once a MagicBand or card is linked to your Disney account, it cannot be transferred to another person.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/transferring-to-friend/

Retroman40

Oh how I long for 1999! The non-transferable rule is great but just about impossible to enforce. Attractions like Splash and BTMRR do over 1300 FP+ per hour at peak times (not to mention re-ads from broken down attractions). That's over 20 per minute or one every couple seconds. If Mickey turns green it's all good. Don't see that changing in the near future. Could you do a finger scan at each attraction? NFW - Cost and time would kill it. A picture? You'd have huge lines. Toss in that the FP+ Return CM has to deal with people who are too early, too late or simply have no selections and it's bad enough already. Let's just face it; no matter what rule is imposed people will be up late working on a scheme to get around it.

LadyBirdV

I ended up doing this unintentionally on our last trip. My son is too short to ride Splash Mountain so my daughter rode first with her Dad and got a rider swap pass for me. Before I went to ride it with her using the RS , we discovered that we couldn't yet book additional FP+s using the app because my son's FP+ , which he can't use, was still technically "active". So I took his on with me just to activate it when used mine so we could immediately book more . When I did this, the CM ushered me and her through and told me to keep my rider swap pass for later - so they were fine with my daughter using my son's .... and happy upside - my daughter ended up getting to ride 3 times total with no wait !
So I agree with whoever said that as long as the Mickey turns Green - it seems everything's good.

AndrewsJ

No, that's absolutely incorrect. The thing that's "nontransferable" is the admission. OP, there's nothing that constitutes "abuse" in what you're describing and it has nothing to do with the thing they're actually cracking down on.

Think about it this way. When they had paper Fastpasses, Disney actually encouraged you to give them to other guests if you didn't plan on using them as a sort of guest-to-guest magical moment. This is no different than handing someone a paper fastpass.

You're contradicting yourself. That clause specifically says that the ADMISSION RIGHTS are the thing that's nontransferable. It doesn't say anything about Fastpasses.
I'm usually a stickler for rules and especially FP rules but I have to agree with the Captain here.

And to the OP welcome aboard. For the most part it's a good group of folks and I'm glad you decided to join us. We tend to speak our minds here but don't let they scare you away.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm usually a stickler for rules and especially FP rules but I have to agree with the Captain here.
Disney's own FAQs on MagicBands says you can't use other peoples' MagicBands FOR ANY REASON, specifically including FP+s, but somehow you and @CaptainAmerica say that's wrong... An email directly quoted from Customer Service says the same thing, and you and @CaptainAmerica say that's wrong...
fc47482156304b2b3006201e3ebc9631.jpg

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Isn't it somewhat hypocritical to be against some rules when others breaking them would inconvenience you, but not against other rules when it would inconvenience you if you broke them?

Kingoglow

Isn't it somewhat hypocritical to be against some rules when others breaking them would inconvenience you, but not against other rules when it would inconvenience you if you broke them?

Very much this.
Everyone was all up in arms when word went out that people were using multiple MDP accounts and making SDFP's on ticketless magic bands. They used words like cheat and hacks. All because it was assumed that people were inappropriately vacuuming up extra Fastpasses out of the available pool.

I see no difference between that activity and inappropriately using the band from someone else in your party; which also takes Fastpasses out of the available pool.

As I said before, it is against the rules but no one will give you hard time about doing it in the park.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Very much this.
Everyone was all up in arms when word went out that people were using multiple MDP accounts and making SDFP's on ticketless magic bands. They used words like cheat and hacks. All because it was assumed that people were inappropriately vacuuming up extra Fastpasses out of the available pool.

I see no difference between that activity and inappropriately using the band from someone else in your party; which also takes Fastpasses out of the available pool.

As I said before, it is against the rules but no one will give you hard time about doing it in the park.

There are a few of us who follow all of the rules even when it's inconvenient.

Grimley1968

Extra verbiage on that FAQ page (bolding mine):

"In addition to touching your MagicBand or card to a touch point, you will be required to scan a finger to enter the parks or enter a PIN code to uniquely identify yourself when making purchases. This process helps to ensure that you, and only you, have access to the entitlements linked to your MagicBand or card."

Yes, you could probably get around this if one member of the party enters the park but leaves early and you have an extra MB for that person as OP details, but the intent of the rule is crystal clear to me. I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm the first to admit it's not being enforced, and probably won't be until WDW decides there's too much band swapping going on...

It's one thing to take advantage of a loophole that isn't against the rules. But it's something else completely -- misguided at best, evil at worst -- to do so against the rules and to self-justify by deliberately misinterpreting clearly written prohibitions printed on the MagicBands, spelled out in FAQs on their website, and provided directly in answer to a specific question.

JillC LI

I ended up doing this unintentionally on our last trip. My son is too short to ride Splash Mountain so my daughter rode first with her Dad and got a rider swap pass for me. Before I went to ride it with her using the RS , we discovered that we couldn't yet book additional FP+s using the app because my son's FP+ , which he can't use, was still technically "active". So I took his on with me just to activate it when used mine so we could immediately book more . When I did this, the CM ushered me and her through and told me to keep my rider swap pass for later - so they were fine with my daughter using my son's .... and happy upside - my daughter ended up getting to ride 3 times total with no wait ! So I agree with whoever said that as long as the Mickey turns Green - it seems everything's good.

We did something similar. We were at EPCOT and DD was feeling queasy and didn't want to use her Mission Space FP (which was our third scheduled). So DH and DS went on it (while I stayed with DD) and they swiped our bands at the entrance along with theirs so it would register as if we had ridden and I could schedule a 4th FP for all of us while we waited for them. The CM had no problem with this.

On our last day we were at DHS. I had booked ToT as our 3rd FP knowing that I would not ride. When the rest of the family got off the ride, I handed DD my band since it is her favorite ride at WDW and she went on a second time. I am perfectly comfortable with having done this, regardless of any fine print which is unenforced in practice.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
We did something similar. We were at EPCOT and DD was feeling queasy and didn't want to use her Mission Space FP (which was our third scheduled). So DH and DS went on it (while I stayed with DD) and they swiped our bands at the entrance along with theirs so it would register as if we had ridden and I could schedule a 4th FP for all of us while we waited for them. The CM had no problem with this.

On our last day we were at DHS. I had booked ToT as our 3rd FP knowing that I would not ride. When the rest of the family got off the ride, I handed DD my band since it is her favorite ride at WDW and she went on a second time. I am perfectly comfortable with having done this, regardless of any fine print which is unenforced in practice.

I know it's illegal to take a candy bar, but it's only $1.00 and it's not like I'll have to serve time if I get caught.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
LoL. You're funny. (And I don't think it's the same thing at all, sorry)

You're opinion is irrelevant, when you're a guest at Disney you have to abide by their rules even when you don't like them. Just like when you're in a convenience store you have to wear a shirt, and you can't take a candy bar and put it in your pocket on the way out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom