Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Communicora

Premium Member
But for people that want to arrive later in the day it's a gem. Remember on those busy days all fastpasses would be distributed by early afternoon in the old system. There's certain things I miss about the old system (building up fastpasses and returning at whatever time) but overall this is much better for later arrivals. During busy season with the old system you'd show up at MK at noon and Space Mountain would have a return time of 8:00-9:00 or something stupid. Under that scenario the new FP+ system is infinitely better.

That is very true. That is exactly what happened to my sister and I with BTMRR at Disneyland Paris close to Easter. All of the coasters were down for a couple hours and by the time they opened and we got over to BTMRR around 11:00, our return time was 7 PM.

Scuttle

There is also an issue of fairness. Will Soarin at 9, RnRC at 11, Flight of Passage at 2 be allowed?
It really should be. Just drop the passholder days per month available down if we choose.
Imo it's stupid for a guest to travel from Tampa for the day once every 3 months as a passholder and not be able to do this. It could potentially even free up more fastpasses if passholders sacrificed 2 or 3 days worth of fastpasses to park hop on the same day. There has to be a way this could work. Because as of now park hopping during busy season is a thing of the past. For the sane anyway.

Castle Cake Apologist

I don't think they have. I can get the idea it's overwhelming but it doesn't have to be.

They haven't made it harder. Some people just don't take the time to do it properly and then they slam Disney for it.

I mean, you literally used to just show up and that's pretty much all the planning you had to do if it's all you wanted to do. Such an approach is nearly impossible now.

A friend of mine took a spur of the moment trip a few months back and said it was an absolute nightmare because he spent so much time in lines and could really only get quick service food.

RSoxNo1

We still need to be able to split FP+ for park hopping. I thought that would have been rolled out by now.
I don't think that's necessary. You can switch parks after using your first 3 of the day, and I believe if you only use two, you can book the third one same day in the next park.

I like that quick service ordering is imminent but the changes I want to see aren't with the tech but the actual operations:
  • Reduce advanced bookings to 1 or 2. If it's 1, allow for 1 advanced booking and one additional same day booking once you're in the park, then both become floating Fastpasses for the rest of the day. This could also eliminate tiers.
  • Eliminate Fastpass+ on shows. During the day Fastpass+ rarely saves you time on a show, and at night at limits your ability to get floating Fastpasses.
  • Reduce advanced dining reservations to 60-90 days instead of 180. 180 is outright ridiculous.

JoeCamel

All right! Just what I wanted, another endless planning/FP+ debate in place of Tiki Birds leaving. Those birds are so boring we all know they are dead to the world. They don't stand a chance of getting a FP+ from me. I plan on doing CBJ as I am allergic to birds. :depressed:

seascape

Just so we're clear: FP worked for some but not others. FP+ works for some but not others. Great use of a couple of billion, then.
FP+ works for everyone. It is a better system that treats everyone the same. Stay on property and pay the extra price for staying select at 60 days. Stay off site and pick at 30 days. Everyone can select and is equal. With the old method you had to get to the park at rope drop to get the best fast passes. Not everyone was treated the same.

For the record, we like to spend the morning at the pool and then go to the park. We can now and get treated the same as those who go early.

Kman101

I mean, you literally used to just show up and that's pretty much all the planning you had to do if it's all you wanted to do. Such an approach is nearly impossible now.

A friend of mine took a spur of the moment trip a few months back and said it was an absolute nightmare because he spent so much time in lines and could really only get quick service food.

Would you fly to New York with planning? Paris? Anywhere without actually knowing what you want to do? People might have just "shown up" but there were less crowds, less parks ... but this isn't the thread for this kind of talk. And I'm sorry but I've looked at MDE and you can get reservations at a lot of restaurants day of. And Fastpass days of. Was he not aware of this?

Did you not show up before and wait in 30-60 minute lines for the attractions? Not everything was snap of the fingers walk right on. Sure there were slower times but still ... yes you have to plan to a certain degree but not the amount stressed around here.

Scuttle

All right! Just what I wanted, another endless planning/FP+ debate in place of Tiki Birds leaving. Those birds are so boring we all know they are dead to the world. They don't stand a chance of getting a FP+ from me. I plan on doing CBJ as I am allergic to birds. :depressed:
I take the blame. I'm still big time pro birds though!

cheezbat

A few years ago, someone on this forum told the story about his neighbors who took a WDW trip and came home disappointed. In spite of all of the pre-vacation info he had given his neighbor, they only visited the MK and not the three other parks (or anything else on property). They walked right past most of the attractions and since they were mostly indoors, they thought that they were all gift shops and didn't bother to go in. They thought that the only attractions in the park consisted of the carousel, the tea cups and the speedway which they considered to be "Kiddie Rides" and not worth their time. The rest of the week, they hung out at the hotel pool wondering why they took their neighbor's advice to take a Disney vacation. I hope he was pulling our legs.
Some people are that dumb. I had a friend who visited (and they had been in the past) and he told me that it sucked how Magic Kingdom got rid of the Pirates of the Carribean and 'that Jungle Ride'(he didn't remember the Jungle Cruise's name). The guy literally walked right through Adventureland and missed both of them, and insisted to me that the rides must have been removed. I argued with him for the longest time, and having been there literally the week before him, I knew they were there and open...so I pulled out a park map from a previous visit and showed him where both rides were located. He just walked away. (He knew I was right and he was just dumb! Lol)

Kman101

The system isn't the problem. The problem is the uber-planners who've caused them to react accordingly forcing it to be a cattle call of sorts at 180 days out that you HAVE to rush to reserve your restaurants and fastpasses before everyone else. It doesn't have to be that way. I'd love nothing more than for that type of planning to go away. Blame the uber-planners who have to make sure Skylar and Timmy get what the want so it's the most magical vacation ever. If everyone stopped uber-planning 6 months ahead of time you COULD show up. It could very easily go back to a lot of the ways it used to be.

People also forget how crowded the parks are now compared to even 10 years ago. There's a lack of a slow period unlike before. They've sucked at adding ride capacity, instead they've tried spreading out the crowds. Let's not blame just one thing for where we are. Look at ALL of it.

This would be a great topic in General Discussion ...

Now can we get back to the Tiki birds? What's the status of them @MansionButler84 @marni1971 @Magic Feather

sporadic

The "Under New Management" update was just horrid. Too bad they didn't do the full original show when the converted it back. Anyone know why they skimped and left the center piece dead?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Some people are that dumb. I had a friend who visited (and they had been in the past) and he told me that it sucked how Magic Kingdom got rid of the Pirates of the Carribean and 'that Jungle Ride'(he didn't remember the Jungle Cruise's name). The guy literally walked right through Adventureland and missed both of them, and insisted to me that the rides must have been removed. I argued with him for the longest time, and having been there literally the week before him, I knew they were there and open...so I pulled out a park map from a previous visit and showed him where both rides were located. He just walked away. (He knew I was right and he was just dumb! Lol)

Well... I can relate... a bit. It's the problem of really good theming in that you can walk by certain attractions and restaurants without knowing they're there. In my younger days when I just followed my family from ride to ride, I never knew half the restaurants in MK actually existed. They'd march around Showcase Lagoon and I never knew about all the restaurants and stores that were in each pavilion. And, as much as I know now, there were a few trips I entirely forgot Country Bear Jamboree existed because of how subtle and fully themed their signage was. They didn't have an exposed queue like IaSW or Peter Pan that screamed "there's a ride here!"

Otterhead

They didn't have an exposed queue like IaSW or Peter Pan that screamed "there's a ride here!"
I've heard this from other people too -- first-time visitors to WDW who are used to amusement parks like Six Flags or Cedar Point and are 'trained' to look for big queues and large overhead signage to find the most popular rides. The theming throws them off and they aren't used to a more subtle, integrated approach. Once they get the hang of it, they're fine :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom