News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

fngoofy

Its transportation, not an attraction.
No other transport is restricted to resort guests, so why would this be? But based on the routes, the number of non-resort guests that would want to take it would be small, so its a non-issue.
While they are not restricted today, there is a history of that. Back in the 70s and early 80s at least one person in a party had to show Resort ID to board the resort monorail, whether you were leaving a park or boarding at a Resort or the TTC. So I think the determining factors would be where the stations fall in the security loop, and if they have more than one line even. If they are putting up towers they could conceivably have two loops going. An express Epcot to DHS line and another that ties in Resort links.

lazyboy97o

While they are not restricted today, there is a history of that. Back in the 70s and early 80s at least one person in a party had to show Resort ID to board the resort monorail, whether you were leaving a park or boarding at a Resort or the TTC. So I think the determining factors would be where the stations fall in the security loop, and if they have more than one line even. If they are putting up towers they could conceivably have two loops going. An express Epcot to DHS line and another that ties in Resort links.
There is no express. It's three lines radiating out of the south Caribbean Beach Resort station. The word is that security will be changes so that it is within the perimeter.

alphac2005

You're very right. I remember as a kid getting a thrill out of being the one in our family that got to show our resort ID in order to board the monorail.

MCast

My reservation with this potential transportation system is the influx of guests at the International Gateway. I almost stay exclusively at the Crescent Lake resorts, and have enjoyed the benefit of a quiet, leisurely stroll to Epcot. Now, I feel as if that ambiance is in jeopardy. Plus, from an operational standpoint, they would certainly need to add more park entry/fingerprint kiosks; otherwise, it would certainly bottleneck.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My reservation with this potential transportation system is the influx of guests at the International Gateway. I almost stay exclusively at the Crescent Lake resorts, and have enjoyed the benefit of a quiet, leisurely stroll to Epcot. Now, I feel as if that ambiance is in jeopardy. Plus, from an operational standpoint, they would certainly need to add more park entry/fingerprint kiosks; otherwise, it would certainly bottleneck.
That's a valid concern. I am assuming they will redo the gate to accommodate the larger crowds.

One positive of additional crowds is this may revitalize the nightlife at the Boardwalk. There will be a lot more guests with more direct transport there now.

MCast

Fair point. The BW is my home resort, and lord knows, Atlantic Dance needs all the help it can get. That said, increased traffic at the BW could result in rowdy, late night crowds. Hopefully, not too bad, but I hope it doesn't become Pleasure Island 2.0. It's a resort first and foremost.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fair point. The BW is my home resort, and lord knows, Atlantic Dance needs all the help it can get. That said, increased traffic at the BW could result in rowdy, late night crowds. Hopefully, not too bad, but I hope it doesn't become Pleasure Island 2.0. It's a resort first and foremost.
The gondolas will probably only run until about 10 after EPCOT empties out so it shouldn't be a problem for late night crowds.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And I, for one, would love to see them go back to that system.

Magic Feather

Gateway will be redone, and subsequently expanded as a part of this. Expect closer to the amount of Tapstiles typhoon has. A giant security redo would also be in the works here. While I do not have specifics for Gondala run times (I dont know the exact plan), I would assume that they will be serviceable formore than an hour after park close, especially after SWL. While transport is main key, there is hope this will breath a few more people into Boardwalk. While this is step A in the transport overhaul, dont expect B for quite a bit later.

MCast

Gateway will be redone, and subsequently expanded as a part of this. Expect closer to the amount of Tapstiles typhoon has. A giant security redo would also be in the works here. While I do not have specifics for Gondala run times (I dont know the exact plan), I would assume that they will be serviceable formore than an hour after park close, especially after SWL. While transport is main key, there is hope this will breath a few more people into Boardwalk. While this is step A in the transport overhaul, dont expect B for quite a bit later.

Thanks for the information. Not sure if you can share, but can you confirm if Transportation Overhaul B is through the gondolas or through another, undisclosed method?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nice. I was only expecting them to run long enough to clear the park out but if they keep them open longer that's even better.

MCast

This should be the start and end of the WDW gondolas. Expect something different.

Interesting - thank you! My interest is piqued knowing there's an alternative form of transportation down the road. Not sure whether a monorail expansion is feasible, but unless they plan on constructing canals between resorts and parks, I can't think of another mode of transportation.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interesting - thank you! My interest is piqued knowing there's an alternative form of transportation down the road. Not sure whether a monorail expansion is feasible, but unless they plan on constructing canals between resorts and parks, I can't think of another mode of transportation.
I'd be very very very surprised if it was monorail. But there is a large distance proposed to be served in the future with multiple stops that a gondola won't civer.

MCast

I'd be very very very surprised if it was monorail. But there is a large distance proposed to be served in the future with multiple stops that a gondola won't civer.

The question is: Would this future form of transport be for park to resort, park to park, or both? That distinction makes a difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom