News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

roj2323

200'-0" is the height at which structures are required by the FAA to have obstruction lighting. The towers will not be anywhere near that tall.
I'd venture to guess they will be in the 40-50ft range. Given the slack (droop) in the cable, ground clearance requirements and the distance between the towers. It's relatively short but just tall enough to get the job done. They might play with the tower heights a bit for ascetic reasons but I can't imagine they are going to get too crazy.

Ripken10

Hey Dan - I am sure you have talked about it before, but can't remember -- how much of the land for what seems to be the Gondola route could be used for something (parking, parking garage, extensions, new resorts, etc) in the future - whether it is already capable or could be (relatively easily) re-assigned? My thoughts were that perhaps, Disney may not just go over the minimal amount for what the land is now, but what "blue sky" they could see in the future as well. Perhaps making it the same height in some of these "empty" areas as the height they make over the buildings in Caribbean beach. I think it goes without saying that they might attempt to do this, so I am just more curious what of that land seems more probable for future things and might lead to "higher" towers there. I agree that overall they will want to keep them as low as possible.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey Dan - I am sure you have talked about it before, but can't remember -- how much of the land for what seems to be the Gondola route could be used for something (parking, parking garage, extensions, new resorts, etc) in the future - whether it is already capable or could be (relatively easily) re-assigned? My thoughts were that perhaps, Disney may not just go over the minimal amount for what the land is now, but what "blue sky" they could see in the future as well. Perhaps making it the same height in some of these "empty" areas as the height they make over the buildings in Caribbean beach. I think it goes without saying that they might attempt to do this, so I am just more curious what of that land seems more probable for future things and might lead to "higher" towers there. I agree that overall they will want to keep them as low as possible.

All the land it goes over could potentially see future development.

lazyboy97o

Anything you are going to build in the future would require some sort of access. You could just run that access below the gondolas.

tl77

The size, shape and layout of these buildings along with the ones at CBR are a much better fit to a gondola system then a monorail expansion.
so no? this is all you got? you can kind of read anything in to shapes on a map though what I'm getting at

tl77

It is an aerial suspended gondola system.

And I have more than one blueprint to go off. As you say.
sorry if i don't just take you at you word anymore... really just the internet in general... but do you have blue prints for the Cinderella meet and greet and Pixie Hollow they never built in new Fantsayland... because I have some if you'd like to see them

Kamikaze

sorry if i don't just take you at you word anymore... really just the internet in general... but do you have blue prints for the Cinderella meet and greet and Pixie Hollow they never built in new Fantsayland... because I have some if you'd like to see them

Martin knows what he is talking about. If he says this is happening, then its happening. He wouldn't be so unequivocal if it wasn't 100% (or nearly 100%).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Martin knows what he is talking about. If he says this is happening, then its happening. He wouldn't be so unequivocal if it wasn't 100% (or nearly 100%).

There's about a dozen people here who have pretty solid inside information besides Martin (and Spirit). They may not have the breadth of information that Martin does, but for the area they're familiar with, what they say is just a solid. And besides Martin, about four of them have come out and solidly said, "It's Gondolas." So, this is Martin x 5 confirmed.

OvertheHorizon

This seems like less of an "attraction" and more of an alternate transportation to connect resort areas to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Disney may even decide to restrict its use to resort guests only (just speculating).

Kamikaze

This seems like less of an "attraction" and more of an alternate transportation to connect resort areas to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Disney may even decide to restrict its use to resort guests only (just speculating).

Its transportation, not an attraction.
No other transport is restricted to resort guests, so why would this be? But based on the routes, the number of non-resort guests that would want to take it would be small, so its a non-issue.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Disney may even decide to restrict its use to resort guests only (just speculating).

Possible, but doubtful... Disney doesn't restrict use of any of it's other forms of transport (boats, buses, monorails) around the property to just resort guests, regardless of who you are or where you're going on property. Besides, the capacity of these systems are generally pretty high. Even if there are non-resort guests out there riding, it shouldn't clog up the system too much (just speculating as well).

OvertheHorizon

The reason for my SPECULATION was because of the mentions being made on these boards of the prospect of Disney imposing "resort fees." IF that becomes the case, then one of the stated reasons for the fee MIGHT relate to use of gondola transport. IF so, it could be restricted to those who have paid the fee.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The reason for my SPECULATION was because of the mentions being made on these boards of the prospect of Disney imposing "resort fees." IF that becomes the case, then one of the stated reasons for the fee MIGHT relate to use of gondola transport. IF so, it could be restricted to those who have paid the fee.
I believe the cost is expected to be met partly by DVC and partly by an increase in the cost of staying at POP and CBR.

jt04

Hmmm. Do you have the ones that showed Dumbo where PH was supposed to go? Sorta of a 'plan b' before they decided on the final version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom