Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

21stamps

The fjord freezing over is a problem because Arendelle is a port town and the primary route to the town is via the sea. Fjords are not unique to Norway or even Scandinavia, but there is definitely a popular association. So while a fjord in a non-Scandinavian setting may sound odd to some, there are other geographic features that would similarly isolate a harbor town.
Except for this movie was based on Norway. A fictional town in a fictional place based on and referencing an actual location.

Regardless of someone wants FEA in Epcot or not..stop grasping at straws to prove that it may not be related to Norway at all. It's already been proven that it was. Hence the research involved in it.

CanadianGordon

Except for this movie was based on Norway. A fictional town in a fictional place based on and referencing an actual location.

Regardless of someone wants FEA in Epcot or not..stop grasping at straws to prove that it may not be related to Norway at all. It's already been proven that it was. Hence the research involved in it.

Drop it. Walk away from the computer.

lazyboy97o

Once again, setting is not subject. The research had little to do with the subject of the film.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Or, it could have been based on Scandinavia. You know, like the book....

21stamps

??
Once again, setting is not subject. The research had little to do with the subject of the film.
It doesn't have to. The subject and the setting do not have to be the same. Again, fictional based on an actual. The film is referencing the area. Now if you think that reference is not strong enough to warrant being in a Norwegian pavilion in Epcot is one thing.. and again, that's an agree to disagree scenario,but your previous statement of "well, it could really be anywhere" (paraphrased) is a little off base.

lazyboy97o

It doesn't have to. The subject and the setting do not have to be the same. Again, fictional based on an actual. The film is referencing the area. Now if you think that reference is strong enough to warrant being in a Norwegian pavilion in Epcot is one thing.. and again, that's an agree to disagree scenario,but your previous statement of "well, it could really be anywhere" (paraphrased) is a little off base.
If it is so off base it should be easy to answer.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
??

It doesn't have to. The subject and the setting do not have to be the same. Again, fictional based on an actual. The film is referencing the area. Now if you think that reference is not strong enough to warrant being in a Norwegian pavilion in Epcot is one thing.. and again, that's an agree to disagree scenario,but your previous statement of "well, it could really be anywhere" (paraphrased) is a little off base.
Norway is part of Scandinavia. But I'm sure it was both convenient and cost-effective to keep the architecture in place while converting the pavilion to Arendelle....

21stamps

Norway is part of Scandinavia. But I'm sure it was both convenient and cost-effective to keep the architecture in place while converting the pavilion to Arendelle....
Yes I know it is. Which is why this comment is confusing, and the reason for the question marks--

I'm out on this particular exchange. I'm not understanding it at all.lol

csmat99

A Mulan dark ride telling the history of China would be a dream come true in this IP-first new world. I hate it, but I am ready to accept IP's in Epcot ONLY if they help tell the story of the country that they are pushed into- unlike Frostrom.
Telling the history of China? So I guess it will cover how to build artificial islands in the ocean that doesn't belong to them and then installed military installations? I would sign up for that!;)

csmat99

I Don't believe I said it is.

One expansion - as opposed to overlay - could shock a few people if it actually happens.

But the tents aren't coming down which is what I was referencing.
Please tell me it's actually giving us a PoTC total gut job and make us a ride worthy of the rest of them around the world. And villian mountain.

Mike S

I hear you, I just think the issue is that it's hard to separate the IP from the ride experience, if that makes sense. If it was an original ride using original characters, then the experience changes; those characters have to be introduced in some way, the "narrative" or experience has to flow differently, etc. @Gomer put it pretty well up above, as we as a riding audience bring a different set of expectations, emotional connections, and familiarity with us on a ride based on a pre-existing concept vs. a ride that's original.

Again, it's not calling all this the end of the world, and I'm very happy to hear that Impressions likely isn't going anywhere, and yeah, we do need to brace ourselves for such changes in this Iger-led Disney era, but it's why things like the Nemo overlay just don't do much for me. I guess I feel more actively involved when I'm shown stuff that at least reflects the real world cultures, whereas seeing movie characters makes me feel more passive, the way I do when I'm watching said movies.
Definitely not the end of the world.

Just World Showcase ;)
Unfortunately the real world is getting dumber. Kids attention span is so short now, the days of 20 - 45 minute journeys are no more hence the 3 to 4 minute rides taking over. Energy will be gone and replaced with something less than 4 minutes (total assumption on my part), GMR will be replaced with something less than 4 minutes. That's just the way the youth in U.S. is now.
idiocracy-poster.jpg

But.....reality. They did research in the USA and Canada as well. Please stop using the "they did research there" logic. And as far as Moana, Disney knew everything they needed to know about Island culture when they "researched" for Aulani. The fact that they have footage of researching for Moana is to be able to sell dvd's with bonus footage and probly refurb a fewrooms at the Poly and justify charging g $200 per night extra to stay in a Moana themed room.
I wish I could go on "research" trips...

Tony the Tigger

I'll take a stab at that.

Its because for some, the end result isn't the only factor. If Rat was produced exactly the same, but there had never been a movie on which it was based, you are correct that the ride itself would be no better or worse than it is now. But my feeling on the ride's existence would change because the context would be different.

The general consensus is that Rat is a decent ride and a tolerable fit even among purists for the France pavilion due to the content of the movie, right? By building it as an IP tie in it represents the idea that Imagineers are still restricted in what they can dream up. They have specific merchandising and IP factors on which they can build their rides. When you are restricted, the art will more times than not be less creative. It is easy to become derivative. Just as when they make a remake of a movie. Yes the end result may be decent, but they most often reuse ideas from the original source material and therefore have a certain staleness to them. Most damage though, in either of these cases, comes in what we are not seeing more than what we are. How many great movies aren't being made and how many great attractions are not being built because of the restrictive parameters in which the artists work. Rat may be good, but what wasn't built there that could have been? Perhaps the next Imagination or the next Haunted Mansion wasn't thought up because we just reused and existing idea. Once you restrict that creativity to a small subset of ideas, it dilutes the output.

You can easily take the stance that, if the end ride is good what harm can something that doesn't exist have? And that is a fine stance for the average consumer of these things to take. The average consumer visits these attractions for entertainment, and then treats them as nothing but a fond memory. There is no vested interest in the industry or its direction. It is a purely superficial enjoyment. And there is nothing wrong with that. It is the way the vast majority of guests will experience these attractions.

But for enthusiasts who have an interest in the direction of the industry, future content, and the sustainability of high quality output, those intangible factors mean a great deal. It's easy to dismiss people with those priorities as naive "fanboys". But in reality "fanboys" are really just people whose obsession gives them a stake in the long term priorities of whatever industry over which they obsess. In the end, all of us here who criticize and complain about these things do so out of a desire for the survival of something we love. Some may call it silly or childish to care about these things so much. But as with most industries that sell something that isn't necessary to survival, without a subset of fans demanding high quality, the quality would continually drop. Every consumer product has their die hards, fanboys, or early adopters that hold their selected product to a higher standard than the average consumer. And it is always a contentious relationship between the business and those fans. But I think it is a healthy and necessary one to help a business not become stale or complacent. And that relationship in the end helps the average consumer to get a better product, even if they wouldn't have known what they were missing had it not been better.

I appreciate the time and thought you put into that.

I'm willing to accept we are just two different kinds of people.

I mean no offense by this, but based on my philosophy, I have no use for that way of thinking. When your bottom line is if the attraction were based on a movie, it's less than the same exact attraction if it were not based on a movie, this strikes me as a pointless exercise.

All that "what might have been" explanation - again, another exercise in futility IMO. It could apply to anything, anywhere. In the context of WDW, it can apply to any attraction, anywhere. What if they did something more super terrific than Snow White's Scary Adventures, and we wouldn't have wasted all those years riding it - when we could have had something amazeballs - nothing specific, just *something.* Maybe they could have thought of something better.

It could just as easily have been something worse.

The rest of this is not specifically directed towards you, @Gomer, but more broadly to the group on this thread.

What I won't grant you is what is implied in parts of some peoples' dissertations: that if people don't think like you, they are just commoners who don't get it, or can't grasp it, or just live on some lower plane or what have you.

I am a very intelligent person. I get the sense that @21stamps is, too. We can most certainly grasp it. We just disagree with you.

We emphasize or prioritize different things; that's all. Your thought process is no more correct than ours, even though some of you seem to think it is. And those of you who think no, really, we are more correct, have little to back that up. You have no Disney lineage. You have no Disney imagineering job. Presumably you've read some things and think that qualifies you in some way. I realize that sounds snarky, and if I had time, I'd reword it. I apologize, seriously.

But please correct me if any of you have real qualifications to appoint yourselves to positions of apparent authority on this subject and more than occasionally talk down to others.

It comes off sometimes as a self-congratulatory club.

I take your point, Gomer, that there are extra enthusiastic fans in various arenas. My biggest arena has been music. Yet my philosophy is consistent. While I can grasp the differences between Britney and The Beatles, I loathe hearing people disparage the former primarily to make themselves sound knowledgeable to others. I can derive enjoyment from either, perhaps for different reasons at different times. I have no use for snobbery in any arena, and I tend to stick up for the ones being disparaged. The record store I own is specifically designed to be unlike other record stores. The first thing you see when you enter is 12 feet of disco from floor to ceiling. Then you see soul/R&B. Then you see DJ 12" singles and pop albums. (Oh, and on the wall behind the counter is a beautifully displayed collection of Disney picture discs, among other things LOL.) In a separate room, you'll find the rock music. What we play in the store is mostly dance and pop music videos that we get from a local club.

That is my reaction to the indy music world after going to record stores my whole life, locally and around almost every state in the country, and finding music I like treated with no respect because people who don't even listen to it need to puff themselves up by putting it down.

So the people who think like I do are over the moon when they find us, and very loyal - and happy to be encouraged when they buy that stuff, rather than getting a look or a comment when they buy it at a more BeatlesAndPearlJamAreEverything kind of store. And the people who like that have their own area as well. We play to and show respect to both audiences, and that serves the business well, and leaves opportunities for minds to be opened on both sides.

I can play cello. I get more enjoyment from listening to Huey Lewis & The News.

In music as well as theme parks - it gets crazy when you start to take things too seriously or lose perspective or the forest for the trees. I hope those of you who are so into this have some balance in your lives. Relax and enjoy the stuff. Have realistic expectations.

But when you guys form a wall and anyone who dissents is a problem to be dealt with - it just deadens conversation. Have the conversation, it's OK. People like 21stamps and I enjoy discussing these topics, too. That's why we're here.

All JMHO. Off to finish prepping for my quickie trip to WDW tomorrow.

Cesar R M

But, synergy and profits....
you know the old saying..but..but.. DISNEY IS A BUSINESS!!! :confused:

And the less long attractions and more 3 minute attraction you have, the more you need to help fill the day.
Well, remember that the executives said that My Magic and the Magicbands using the new FP+ would "replace" the need for new attraction. Making you visit stores, purchase more stuff AND eat/drink more.

No surprise they are shoving more super short rides with super long queues and low capacity, to keep people to give up and just either accept their fate of only riding 3-5 rides a day and/or being shoved into restaurants/stores because there is hardly space to sit down and even less space to sit with shadow.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Definitely not the end of the world.

Just World Showcase ;)

idiocracy-poster.jpg

I wish I could go on "research" trips...
Welcome to Costco! I LOVE YOU!

Ps, it would be hilarious if Disney bought Carls Jr in the future and we would get "brought to you by Carls Jr and The Walt Disney Company"

Cesar R M

Or that FPing at least three rides doesn't save you a significant time standing in a queue?
It saves you time on the three guaranteed rides.. but since FP chunks like 50% to 75% of the capacity of most rides.. you will be waiting like 10X times in standby line for other rides.

Rides that never had a long line (Like Pirates of the Caribbean). Can now fill the entire queue and spill outside.

A fine example of this kind of mess is Peter Pan's ride. Where the standby line is outrageous long thanks to setting 3 FP+ people every 1 standby people.
Thus making the line at least 3X what it should be.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Telling the history of China? So I guess it will cover how to build artificial islands in the ocean that doesn't belong to them and then installed military installations? I would sign up for that!;)
Thats like updating the US pavilion with the imperialistic/controlling police state.. and the Japanese pavilion to include the atrocities of world war II, Mexico with its corruption and drug wars and so on...:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom