Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Umm, no. Where do you get that?

From you. You said "supposedly influenced" as if there is doubt that there is any influence at all. But there is empirical proof that there is Norwegian influence... unless you think Disney is simply making that part up about how they went to Norway so that there would be strong Norwegian influence.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
no because of the new fastpass plus system they will keep you walking from one side of the park to the other to fill your day in... Then maybe you will not notice that total ride time for the day was 12 minutes.

So, what's the claim here: That FP purposely offers you choices that are the furthest away from your already existing FP? Or that crossing the park twice (3 FPs: Side A to Side B back to Side A) consumes a major part of a whole day at the park? Or that FPing at least three rides doesn't save you a significant time standing in a queue?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The location of the story is of little concequence to the story itself. Imagine if you were going to completely re-render Frozen with a Russian inspired design, how would those changes impact the story? What no longer makes sense to have happen because it is occurring in a Russian styled environment? How would Anna's desire to build a snowman with her sister be changed because she is no longer wearing a Norwegian dress?

Yeah, wasn't the topic of the conversation. Nice tangent though.

Grimley1968

For those who would miss the point of a spear, I removed the word "supposedly" from my previous post. SMH. The point I made before, however, has not changed with the removal of that word.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yup. Frozen could take place in any cold climate. Dsney just wanted to justify it's placement in the Norway pavilion, so they emphasize the "backstory" research that went into creating the movie.

But... reality. They did do actual research in Norway for Frozen the movie. Disney always shows off the background research for their movies... they did so with Moana in spades. You can watch the YouTube videos where the movie creators visit Polynesian locations... several times.

So ya think they weren't going to show off all the work they did in Norway and connect it to the Norway pavilion?

Grimley1968

But... reality. They did do actual research in Norway for Frozen the movie. Disney always shows off the background research for their movies... they did so with Moana in spades. You can watch the YouTube videos where the movie creators visit Polynesian locations... several times.

So ya think they weren't going to show off all the work they did in Norway and connect it to the Norway pavilion?
And now you've circled back to my point. What did they remove to show off the research for the movie? The Stave Church mini-museum! They removed something that showed some actual history and culture and put in an exhibit about one of their movies.

Some like me feel that that is a mistake.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
And now you've circled back to my point. What did they remove to show off the research for the movie? The Stave Church mini-museum! They removed something that showed some actual history and culture and put in an exhibit about one of their movies.

Some like me feel that that is a mistake.

And to make the point that Frozen incorporates Norwegian culture... they tell you things about Norwegian culture, so, no, I don't get your point.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
How is it not? You keep insisting that the research means that Norwegian culture is of some importance.

I was focused in on someone, who in their exuberance to hate on FEA made it sound like that any claim of a Norway connection was possibly fabricated by his use of 'supposedly.' I pointed out that there was real Norwegian research.

You want to argue that the story is divorced from Norwegian culture, and that is a different topic. To which I mostly agree. The Norwegian connection is mostly artistic, architectural, and related to fashion (e.g., Sami winter garb).

Grimley1968

I was focused in on someone, who in their exuberance to hate on FEA made it sound like that any claim of a Norway connection was possibly fabricated by his use of 'supposedly.' I pointed out that there was real Norwegian research.

Disliking what Disney did to my favorite pavilion and one of my favorite rides in EPCOT, in the service of promoting a movie that means nothing to me, does not equal an "exuberance to hate on FEA."

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So they don't love the pavilion now that Frozen is tucked back in a corner? Frozen has ruined their love for a country and culture, prevented them from learning about Norway? Really? You haven't pointed out the research behind it and maybe watched footage or incorporated it to further the learning? Or at least compliment it?

Food- it was an example, as stated. And yes, food is part of a culture. Learning and trying new things are part of experiencing a culture. Dancing and listening to music is part of culture. All of which the pavilions have.

Once again though, this goes back to the disagreement of is someone views Epcot as a place to educate their children.. or if they view it as somewhere inspirational where real and whimsy can mix.

I think the only thing that's been determined here is that people have opinions, and none of them are going to change any time soon. The reality though is this- Frozen is there. So somehow make peace with it, incorporate it, and then maybe then you will enjoy a Norway pavilion again.

I'll add that when we did Holidays around the World..caught as many "storytellers" as we could, including Norway, Frozen had 0 impact on us.
Didn't you say you were leaving this thread? Shocker, you are back and still using universal truths to validate your middle of the road viewpoint. I award you no points.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

But.....reality. They did research in the USA and Canada as well. Please stop using the "they did research there" logic. And as far as Moana, Disney knew everything they needed to know about Island culture when they "researched" for Aulani. The fact that they have footage of researching for Moana is to be able to sell dvd's with bonus footage and probly refurb a fewrooms at the Poly and justify charging g $200 per night extra to stay in a Moana themed room.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
But.....reality. They did research in the USA and Canada as well. Please stop using the "they did research there" logic. And as far as Moana, Disney knew everything they needed to know about Island culture when they "researched" for Aulani. The fact that they have footage of researching for Moana is to be able to sell dvd's with bonus footage and probly refurb a fewrooms at the Poly and justify charging g $200 per night extra to stay in a Moana themed room.

Ah, the "Disney lied" proposition. Got it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What's with the negativity about research trips? Disney has been doing research like this for decades.

No, researching Norwegian culture for Frozen doesn't mean the plot/story of the movie is distinctly Norwegian. Nor does it mean this attraction fits in Norway. But it's clear to see it influenced the look of the film.

mickeyfan5534

The location of the story is of little concequence to the story itself. Imagine if you were going to completely re-render Frozen with a Russian inspired design, how would those changes impact the story? What no longer makes sense to have happen because it is occurring in a Russian styled environment? How would Anna's desire to build a snowman with her sister be changed because she is no longer wearing a Norwegian dress?
Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't the fjords freezing a major plot point for why Anna went after Elsa?

lazyboy97o

Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't the fjords freezing a major plot point for why Anna went after Elsa?
The fjord freezing over is a problem because Arendelle is a port town and the primary route to the town is via the sea. Fjords are not unique to Norway or even Scandinavia, but there is definitely a popular association. So while a fjord in a non-Scandinavian setting may sound odd to some, there are other geographic features that would similarly isolate a harbor town.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom