Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

contrariwise

I agree with this so much. Most of it anyway. I think this is where the heart of the main two differing opinions lies.
What people see as inspiring can be different, I don't personally think Anna and Elsa or a Frozen ride takes away from or prevents someone to be inspired in Norway, because it's Disney World, so there's kind of a pass there to mesh the two. You walk through a pavilion enjoying the food, talking about the culture, tasting the food. Then you see two of "your" favorite characters in a ride. The overall atmosphere of Norway is still there, the ride is seperate, fictional, but still generally related. A little girl or boy could be tempted to try or learn something new as a result of their favorite character there.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I think you have said more than once that the Frozen ride could induce a child to try a new food. Maybe this is true in some instances, but I have never seen this as the point of Epcot, or a reason for Disney to build (or re-do) an attraction. Is this what you see as the purpose of Epcot?

21stamps

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I think you have said more than once that the Frozen ride could induce a child to try a new food. Maybe this is true in some instances, but I have never seen this as the point of Epcot, or a reason for Disney to build (or re-do) an attraction. Is this what you see as the purpose of Epcot?
No. Not at all. A few days ago there were people on this thread saying that the presence of Frozen in the Norway pavilion is "dumbing down" our children and insulting to their intelligence.
I think the entire point of Disney World is fantasy and reality combined. Sorry to repeat myself again, but Anna and Elsa won't stop a child from soaking up the atmosphere of the Norway pavilion. Let's use a picky eater for example, maybe their parents want them to try a new food while visiting that pavilion, kid refuses, parent says "it's Elsa's favorite", maybe now kid tries said food. I don't think that's a reason for Anna and Elsa in Norway, but I think it's not insulting to them, and if anything it could make a child more interested...and as a byproduct learn or experience something new along the way.

I used my nephew as an example a few days ago. The kid just suddenly refused to eat green vegetables at age 3. The kid idolizes Hulk. His parents told him that Hulk is big, strong,-and green, because he eats green vegetables. Much to my amusement the kid always eats green vegetables now, while exclaiming that he's going to be as strong as Hulk.lol. Fantasy isn't always a detriment to children..even when it has to do with reality.

RoysCabin

Well said.

I just think if Ratatouille - The Ride were a fresh new idea and no movie existed, folks would eat it up and think it would be a great addition. I mean, they are keeping Impressions. I don't think the ride would take away from the pavilion at all, just based on the the ride itself and the movie. I get what you're saying about Gran Fiesta Tour. It doesn't really do that much harm. Nemo wasn't the worst idea but the whole "where's Nemo??" is lame. It could have been more. But the pavilion itself is still basically in-tact. Same for Mexico.

I hear you, I just think the issue is that it's hard to separate the IP from the ride experience, if that makes sense. If it was an original ride using original characters, then the experience changes; those characters have to be introduced in some way, the "narrative" or experience has to flow differently, etc. @Gomer put it pretty well up above, as we as a riding audience bring a different set of expectations, emotional connections, and familiarity with us on a ride based on a pre-existing concept vs. a ride that's original.

Again, it's not calling all this the end of the world, and I'm very happy to hear that Impressions likely isn't going anywhere, and yeah, we do need to brace ourselves for such changes in this Iger-led Disney era, but it's why things like the Nemo overlay just don't do much for me. I guess I feel more actively involved when I'm shown stuff that at least reflects the real world cultures, whereas seeing movie characters makes me feel more passive, the way I do when I'm watching said movies.

Grimley1968

No. Not at all. A few days ago there were people on this thread saying that the presence of Frozen in the Norway pavilion is "dumbing down" our children and insulting to their intelligence.
I think the entire point of Disney World is fantasy and reality combined. Sorry to repeat myself again, but Anna and Elsa won't stop a child from soaking up the atmosphere of the Norway pavilion. Let's use a picky eater for example, maybe their parents want them to try a new food while visiting that pavilion, kid refuses, parent says "it's Elsa's favorite", maybe now kid tries said food. I don't think that's a reason for Anna and Elsa in Norway, but I think it's not insulting to them, and if anything it could make a child more interested...and as a byproduct learn or experience something new along the way.

I used my nephew as an example a few days ago. The kid just suddenly refused to eat green vegetables at age 3. The kid idolizes Hulk. His parents told him that Hulk is big, strong,-and green, because he eats green vegetables. Much to my amusement the kid always eats green vegetables now, while exclaiming that he's going to be as strong as Hulk.lol. Fantasy isn't always a detriment to children..even when it has to do with reality.
Those who would like to have their children learn about actual Norwegian history and culture, which used to be possible with the Maelstrom ride and with the Stave Church mini-museum, might disagree. My daughters love Viking and Norwegian history, hate Frozen with a passion, and used to love that pavilion. Now, even the Stave Church has had its actual history and culture removed and it focuses on how the movie was influenced by Norwegian culture. So while the focus on Frozen might not prevent a child from "soaking up the atmosphere of the Norway pavilion", that pavilion has lot much of its connection to the country it is supposed to represent.

Disney has never been a place for us to address picky eating.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
But, synergy and profits....
Unfortunately the real world is getting dumber. Kids attention span is so short now, the days of 20 - 45 minute journeys are no more hence the 3 to 4 minute rides taking over. Energy will be gone and replaced with something less than 4 minutes (total assumption on my part), GMR will be replaced with something less than 4 minutes. That's just the way the youth in U.S. is now.

Bocabear

no because of the new fastpass plus system they will keep you walking from one side of the park to the other to fill your day in... Then maybe you will not notice that total ride time for the day was 12 minutes.

lazyboy97o

Supposedly? You think Disney is lying about the movie makers and then the imagineers making finding-trips to Norway?
The location of the story is of little concequence to the story itself. Imagine if you were going to completely re-render Frozen with a Russian inspired design, how would those changes impact the story? What no longer makes sense to have happen because it is occurring in a Russian styled environment? How would Anna's desire to build a snowman with her sister be changed because she is no longer wearing a Norwegian dress?

Bandini

The location of the story is of little concequence to the story itself. Imagine if you were going to completely re-render Frozen with a Russian inspired design, how would those changes impact the story? What no longer makes sense to have happen because it is occurring in a Russian styled environment? How would Anna's desire to build a snowman with her sister be changed because she is no longer wearing a Norwegian dress?
Yup. Frozen could take place in any cold climate. Dsney just wanted to justify it's placement in the Norway pavilion, so they emphasize the "backstory" research that went into creating the movie.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yup. Frozen could take place in any cold climate. Dsney just wanted to justify it's placement in the Norway pavilion, so they emphasize the "backstory" research that went into creating the movie.

I am not a fan of the attraction placement...but it has been made pretty clear that the look of the movie itself as well as some specific details were inspired by Norway/Norwegian culture...this was emphasized well before the ride, and even the movie, was complete.

Now, this does not mean I believe the story is specifically Norwegian...because it is not..which is why I am not a fan of the placement.

Bandini

I am not a fan of the attraction placement...but it has been made pretty clear that the look of the movie itself was inspired by Norway/Norwegian culture...this was emphasized well before the ride, and even the movie, was complete.
Ok, but think about it. Was it's location in Norway critical to the plot? Disney could have researched any country with a cold climate.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ok, but think about it. Was it's location in Norway critical to the plot? Disney could have researched any country with a cold climate.

no...hence the edit to my post...but the fact remains that this is where they went and the film has details that show this. And they let this known from the very beginning...it wasn't conjured up later to promote the attraction.

Bandini

no...hence the edit to my post...but the fact remains that this is where they went and the film has details that show this. And they let this known from the very beginning...it wasn't conjured up later to promote the attraction.
Agreed, but the Stave Church is now being used as a vehicle to link Frozen to the Norway pavilion. Yes? No?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom