What happened to the safari?

thomas998

I wasn't aware you had to be a PETA member to see poachers sneaking onto a wildlife preserve to kill a baby elephant as bad
Oh it sounds horrible... but it is completely devoid of reality. Poachers aren't going to go try and kill a baby elephant because it has no value to them. The poachers are looking for ivory which isn't going to be found on a baby elephant. The whole story was contrived to make you feel all sad because they were going to kill a baby elephant which ranks right up there with the typical PETA type story that either bends the truth or just flat out lies to try and get you to feel a certain way for a hidden agenda.

If the story had been realistic I wouldn't have been annoyed by it, but when they went over the top like some PETA commercial it just turned me off completely.

Cmdr_Crimson

Oh it sounds horrible... but it is completely devoid of reality. Poachers aren't going to go try and kill a baby elephant because it has no value to them. The poachers are looking for ivory which isn't going to be found on a baby elephant. The whole story was contrived to make you feel all sad because they were going to kill a baby elephant which ranks right up there with the typical PETA type story that either bends the truth or just flat out lies to try and get you to feel a certain way for a hidden agenda.

If the story had been realistic I wouldn't have been annoyed by it, but when they went over the top like some PETA commercial it just turned me off completely.

Pehaps they were trying to follow the Bambi's Mom Rule....If it's too dark....Don't Show it....Because if they did it would be upsetting.....
bambi-the-real-reason-walt-disney-killed-off-bambi-s-mom-will-break-your-heart-jpeg-134495.jpg

Which then would go to bringing up Mufasa's as it was Animal vs Animal...instead of Human vs Animal...
hqdefault.jpg

Princess Leia

I definitely remember the poaching theme of the ride, but I can't remember if Big Red was there or not. Actually, I think she was, but I was super confused because for years I thought it was a dead rhino, not an elephant. o_O

Da Bird is Da Word

I agree with the OP. I remember riding the Safari ride for the first time when I was 5 years old. The ride was thrilling! I really thought the bridge was going to collapse, I thought we were really being chased. The dialog between the driver and the person on the other side of the radio was entertaining to listen to. That whole aspect of the ride was really fun and well done and I have memories from that ride that will last me a life time. It's a shame they've gotten rid of all that. It makes the ride less fun in my opinion.

BuddyThomas

I assumed it was from people complaining. The whole thing seemed overly preachy. Maybe if you were a PETA or greenpiece supporter you wouldn't mind it, but recall the first time I heard it I was offended by the over the top drivel.
PETA?? Over the top drivel? Exaggerate much? Or perhaps you are saying that poaching elephants is a good thing? Otherwise, I don't know what your problem with it was.

Nastory4

I get what you mean. I guess I just liked it being a bit of a ride too. It used to balance the "real" safari and the fake Disney ride aspects really well. And I liked the balance. Made it feel more full to me. I like more animals, but I don't think getting rid of the "ride" section, the story, and the thrill aspect are worth two or three more animal exhibits.

It's not like they added anything in the scale of the breathtaking Serengeti or the Hippo Lagoon. All they added was the type of exhibits I can see at Lowry zoo or Busch Gardens. That section (along with the radio calls throughout the ride) were very Disney to me. Unlike what I could get elsewhere.

But that just comes down to opinions of which is better.

Is that the reason they got rid of it? Did most people want more real animals and to drop the plot?
As an adult, I could care less about the radio call, however, the kids seemed to think it was real ( and cool).

thomas998

PETA?? Over the top drivel? Exaggerate much? Or perhaps you are saying that poaching elephants is a good thing? Otherwise, I don't know what your problem with it was.
You must not have read what I wrote, I was pretty clear on the reason. Poacher don't hunt baby elephants anymore than deer hunter hunt fawns, the whole story line was nonsensical and just an attempt to generate some PETA like sympathy for a supposed baby elephant that would have face more danger from a hippo than it would from any poacher in the area.

BuddyThomas

You must not have read what I wrote, I was pretty clear on the reason. Poacher don't hunt baby elephants anymore than deer hunter hunt fawns, the whole story line was nonsensical and just an attempt to generate some PETA like sympathy for a supposed baby elephant that would have face more danger from a hippo than it would from any poacher in the area.
Yeah I read what you wrote. The storyline was that they killed Big Red (with the tusks). Obviously not the baby (without tusks). But that we (in our tram - LOL) were chasing down the poachers. I never found anything life changing about any of this, and there was certainly no PETA anything involved. But if it introduced one single child (or adult) to the concept of what a poacher is, it added something positive to the world.

thomas998

If peta was involved or a large amount of peta members had any say they would want animal kingdom closed down.
You missed my point, I said, "PETA like sympathy".... Didn't mean this was a ride PETA would ever want, but the over the top hyperbole of the ride's original narration was very much like the type of PETA generated prose you would find in any of their material - ignore reality for the sake of sensationalism which is what the ride's narration did in spades.

Retroman40

The Little Red ending was a bit contrived but I do miss the "banter" between Wilson, the other gal (who call Tommy's Thompson Gazelles) and the driver. I also miss the attempt to tune into a radio station out in the wild. The shaker bridge is a great effect especially for first time riders who may not be aware of its presence. Of course, just like in the old Catastrophe Canyon a lot depends on how well the driver sells it.

Phonedave

You missed my point, I said, "PETA like sympathy".... Didn't mean this was a ride PETA would ever want, but the over the top hyperbole of the ride's original narration was very much like the type of PETA generated prose you would find in any of their material - ignore reality for the sake of sensationalism which is what the ride's narration did in spades.

I don't think that Little Red was put in there to "enhance" the poaching aspect, I think it was an attempt to soften the blow at the end.

The "real" way it would have gone down is " Look, Big Red is dead, we did not get here in time, and her calf wandered off somewhere and will most likely die as well"

At least when they stick Little Red in the truck it comes across as even though Big Red is dead, Little Red is in that truck and we can take him back to wherever it is we take elephant calves and make sure he lives.

When people complained about the elephant carcass on the ground, and they took it out, then yes it did make it a bit of a reach that poachers would try and steal a live baby elephant. As an aside, how the hell did they get it in that truck - backwards.

The original story was not too over the top (just a bit over the top) but the removal of Big Red just left the OTT parts.

-dave

blueboxdoctor

I actually prefer the new one. I know EPCOT has gotten away from actually trying to teach people things, so I like how they now do that for the Safari. Maybe it depends on the person giving the tour, but the person we had was really informative. It was particularly interesting/profound to see an animal that is extinct in the wild.

BASS

I went recently and completely forget about that element, so you can infer what I thought about it. I think it's better without it. It was unbelievable the last time I went. The animals were very active late in the evening. Now that I reflect, I think that storyline would have detracted from the experience.

Also-and we adults don't appreciate this-kids may have a hard time distinguishing between what's reality vs. what's play. My 6 y/o daughter asked me if the animals were real. I presume her confusion may have been compounded further with that storyline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom