What happened to the safari?

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
So, what happened to the amazing yet subtle plot in the safari with the poachers and big/little red and the guy from the base talking to us over the radio. I still love the safari, but it feels kinda empty now. I also miss the little bit of excitement and thrill from the chase at the end.

Again, still love the Safari. These changes just have seemed to lessen the experience. Why did they make these changes?

Also, why stop the "broken" bridge that shakes?

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The bridge still shakes on occasion.

The poaching theme stopped a couple of years ago. Can't say I mind- it always seemed too contrived to me. YMMV. They now have new REAL animals, instead.

I get that. I like seeing more real animals. I just liked the extra excitement at the end. And I like that it used to have a story. It just felt like more of a complete experience before. Now it just feels like a better version of what I can get from Busch Gardens or a nice zoo (Lowry Park in Tampa has a safari ride)

Minnie Mum

I get that. I like seeing more real animals. I just liked the extra excitement at the end. And I like that it used to have a story. It just felt like more of a complete experience before. Now it just feels like a better version of what I can get from Busch Gardens or a nice zoo (Lowry Park in Tampa has a safari ride)

So you're saying that making it MORE like a real safari, because they got rid of the obviously fake story line, is a bad thing? Keeping in mind that none of the attractions you mention are actually REAL safaris.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
So you're saying that making it MORE like a real safari, because they got rid of the obviously fake story line, is a bad thing? Keeping in mind that none of the attractions you mention are actually REAL safaris.
I get what you mean. I guess I just liked it being a bit of a ride too. It used to balance the "real" safari and the fake Disney ride aspects really well. And I liked the balance. Made it feel more full to me. I like more animals, but I don't think getting rid of the "ride" section, the story, and the thrill aspect are worth two or three more animal exhibits.

It's not like they added anything in the scale of the breathtaking Serengeti or the Hippo Lagoon. All they added was the type of exhibits I can see at Lowry zoo or Busch Gardens. That section (along with the radio calls throughout the ride) were very Disney to me. Unlike what I could get elsewhere.

But that just comes down to opinions of which is better.

Is that the reason they got rid of it? Did most people want more real animals and to drop the plot?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Over time the safari moved away from real with drama to "just" real.

The dead elephant was removed during testing / early softs.

The jeep chase went very early on too (with some help from nature)

Little Red and the plane were removed

Wilson slowly faded in to the past

The geysers were calmed, and then removed a few years ago.

Personal taste dictates which you prefer. The bridge still shakes, sensors permitting, so long as ride vehicles are spaced enough.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

Personal taste dictates which you prefer. The bridge still shakes, sensors permitting, so long as ride vehicles are spaced enough.
Ok, I guess it had been about 7-8 years since I've been for more than a day trip before this summer. Its a shame in my opinion, but still a fantastic ride

Cmdr_Crimson

Ok, I guess it had been about 7-8 years since I've been for more than a day trip before this summer. Its a shame in my opinion, but still a fantastic ride

Yeah....Exciting to see a Dead Elephant Corpse Prop on the Safari screams Disney Magic...
They removed this prop Due to big complaints from guests as it was too intense for families to see on the Safari...Source-http://themickeywiki.com/index.php?title=Kilimanjaro_Safaris
BigRed2.jpg

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Yeah....Exciting to see a Dead Elephant Corpse Prop on the Safari screams Disney Magic...
They removed this prop Due to big complaints from guests as it was too intense for families to see on the Safari...Source-http://themickeywiki.com/index.php?title=Kilimanjaro_Safaris
BigRed2.jpg
That I've never seen. Martin said it was removed during early testing immeadietly. I meant the story where your peaceful tour gets a call from base that poacher broke into the reserve and you chase them through the jungle to rescue a baby elephant.

I have absolutely no idea how a dead elephant was ever considered a good idea.

Cmdr_Crimson

That I've never seen. Martin said it was removed during early testing immeadietly. I meant the story where your peaceful tour gets a call from base that poacher broke into the reserve and you chase them through the jungle to rescue a baby elephant.

I have absolutely no idea how a dead elephant was ever considered a good idea.

Back in the day, this was Big Red. Little Reds mother.

Yep and I do believe this poster is still in the queue...
Harambe%2B-%2BBig%2Band%2BLittle%2BRed%2BPoster%2B%252809-10%2529.jpg

And Little Red sits backstage...
mZCFWAA.jpg

yeti

BigRed2.jpg

I can understand the apprehension of families who don't want to drag their screaming kids out of the ride...but I would love a PG13-18 theme park where they could get away with more provocative themes like this (there's Universal except they're more about whizz-bang action than original storytelling). It's a shame, sometimes, that theme parks have a reputation for being family friendly...maybe they'd be taken more seriously if they didn't?

thomas998

So, what happened to the amazing yet subtle plot in the safari with the poachers and big/little red and the guy from the base talking to us over the radio. I still love the safari, but it feels kinda empty now. I also miss the little bit of excitement and thrill from the chase at the end.

Again, still love the Safari. These changes just have seemed to lessen the experience. Why did they make these changes?

Also, why stop the "broken" bridge that shakes?
I assumed it was from people complaining. The whole thing seemed overly preachy. Maybe if you were a PETA or greenpiece supporter you wouldn't mind it, but recall the first time I heard it I was offended by the over the top drivel.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I assumed it was from people complaining. The whole thing seemed overly preachy. Maybe if you were a PETA or greenpiece supporter you wouldn't mind it, but recall the first time I heard it I was offended by the over the top drivel.
I wasn't aware you had to be a PETA member to see poachers sneaking onto a wildlife preserve to kill a baby elephant as bad

MickeyMomV

IMO we love the new safari. Its seems like they slowed it down to actually see the animals. Maybe its that we aren't flying around to catch poachers. Maybe its that we got sneezed on by a giraffe that last time we were on the ride, gross and cool at the same time!! No matter the reason we like the new format.

raven

Did you make a video showcasing all of these effects? In particular the chasing jeep effect toward the end? I went to DAK shortly after it opened and remember all of these but when I tell people that they used to exist they never believe me. :banghead:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Did you make a video showcasing all of these effects? In particular the chasing jeep effect toward the end? I went to DAK shortly after it opened and remember all of these but when I tell people that they used to exist they never believe me. :banghead:
I'm not sure I included the jeep in the edit I did a long time ago. I'll have to check

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom