A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll have to check those out. I hope that someone is taking a realistic look at it because I've had enough of the articles that basically say 'the ship is taking on water, but don't worry, it's Disney, everything is great!'. Kind of like that puff piece article linked to earlier.

ETA: I mean, how can TWDC be both the exception and the rule when it comes to the changing media/entertainment industry landscape?

Because Zenia's flying monkeys are attempting to control the narrative rather than do the hard work of adapting to a new media environment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I would take Kilimanjaro Safaris over Escape from Gringotts 10 times out of 10. Attraction type is somewhat irrelevant here.

This is not meant as an attack on Diagon Alley or Escape from Gringotts, but Gringotts isn't as strong an attraction as Kilimanjaro Safaris.

No it's not but look at the sheer SIZE of KS, The takeaway however is Disney has not built anything approaching the Wizarding World attractions in the last DECADE, Just maybe Pandora opens next year, Then what 2020-2022 for SWL. Sorry Disney too little far too late.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't have the foggiest clue what you are talking about. "Predatory"?

See the film 'The Corporation' and you will understand, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379225/

Sociopathic behavior in the executive suites is not only tolerated it's actively encouraged, Where in more prosperous times Sociopaths were given their walking papers. This is a side effect of 'Crony Capitalism' which is about as far from Capitalism as one can get.

Mike S

I disagree. It's that simple. You are over simplifying everything to justify a fan projected narrative that only has use of giving fans something to rally against. If people disagree with an possible changes to ToT, they are free to feel that way. However, when they project all these conspiracy theories it just goes too far and stretches their personal credibility. I don't understand why people can't have a feeling about something and just own it, and not have to attach such baggage to everything in order to justify their opinion to themselves.

I would prefer it not change. But I can see many possibilities as to why, and a lot of possible factors, and anyone here who says they'd KNOW the one and only reason unequivocally why is delusional.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself because frankly I don't care that much about the topic to keep spending the time. We will see in a few years what happens, I'm sure like the other projects you listed it will come out great either way.
It's not a conspiracy theory if you can look at that list and clearly see that everything they do now is based on a proven successful franchise.

mickeyfan5534

Fear is subjective and yes its okay to show a scary side of life, this film isn't the film to do it especially when the theme of the film is don't judge a book by its cover. If a kid is scared of the character design the entire film, the message is dead.
Wouldn't that actually get the theme across much more clearly? That despite their (not that scary) appearance that they are good people? Also, the themes of Beauty and the Beast are more beautiful and deeper than don't judge a book by it's cover. It's that kindness and respect are powerful enough to change someone. It's that love can come from anywhere. It's that your intelligence and personality are what make your worth, not your appearance. It's outcasts in society finding solace and love in each other and facing a world that does not want them and coming up on top. But it's only a dumb live action remake. Who cares about that? If ever I needed a sarcastic font...

AEfx

It's not a conspiracy theory if you can look at that list and clearly see that everything they do now is based on a proven successful franchise.

Of course. Duh. People complain when they don't ("missed opportunity"). These days, no company is going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a theme park attraction that isn't.

That's a separate issue as to why this project in particular is being considered.

Mike S

Of course. Duh. People complain when they don't ("missed opportunity"). These days, no company is going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a theme park attraction that isn't.

That's a separate issue as to why this project in particular is being considered.
To me it's a simple matter of them not caring and being so completely out of tune with the parks. The fact they were surprised by the backlash tells you all that you need to know.

Bairstow

To me it's a simple matter of them not caring and being so completely out of tune with the parks. The fact they were surprised by the backlash tells you all that you need to know.

Not everyone could have been surprised. Someone foresaw how the diehard fans were going to react because they were was wise enough to ban cameras at the reveal at comiccon.

lazyboy97o

Not everyone could have been surprised. Someone foresaw how the diehard fans were going to react because they were was wise enough to ban cameras at the reveal at comiccon.
Yes and no. My understanding (which is based on others internet speculation) is that there's always an "official" ban, but only a ban in practice when a reaction is anticipated to be negative. Remember the huge reaction the Tron 2 reveal got and the way Disney left that clip up on YouTube for years?
It was a Marvel Studios panel that overall was well received. The bans are nothing new and rather consistent. Part of the reason studios have pulled back from ComicCon is because projects get a huge response there but then fall flat on their face when released.

RSoxNo1

No it's not but look at the sheer SIZE of KS, The takeaway however is Disney has not built anything approaching the Wizarding World attractions in the last DECADE, Just maybe Pandora opens next year, Then what 2020-2022 for SWL. Sorry Disney too little far too late.
And the counter argument to that was that Disney clearly felt they could rest on their laurels. They were significantly ahead of Universal pre-Potter and they ultimately reacted to slowly. Beyond that, as you said they shouldn't have had to react, they should have continued the further development of the parks well before Potter opened.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And the counter argument to that was that Disney clearly felt they could rest on their laurels. They were significantly ahead of Universal pre-Potter and they ultimately reacted to slowly. Beyond that, as you said they shouldn't have had to react, they should have continued the further development of the parks well before Potter opened.

No sane person is aruguing that the Blackstone Era Universal was not FAR behind Disney in almost every meaningful comparison, That being said that was nearly a decade ago and Disney still has not responded in kind to Universal's growth, Who has the 'better' parks Right now Disney does but that's only because of AK and MK both DHS and EPCOT are trainwrecks and they don't look to be improving anytime soon.

If Uni continues on it's current trajectory and Disney continues with 'we are number one so we don't have to do anything substantial mode' it will overtake Disney within a decade. I think SWL will be a vast disappointment once the initial excitement is over 2 rides and god knows how many shops selling identical merchandise and restaurants serving identical food...

Phicinfan

No sane person is aruguing that the Blackstone Era Universal was not FAR behind Disney in almost every meaningful comparison, That being said that was nearly a decade ago and Disney still has not responded in kind to Universal's growth, Who has the 'better' parks Right now Disney does but that's only because of AK and MK both DHS and EPCOT are trainwrecks and they don't look to be improving anytime soon.

If Uni continues on it's current trajectory and Disney continues with 'we are number one so we don't have to do anything substantial mode' it will overtake Disney within a decade. I think SWL will be a vast disappointment once the initial excitement is over 2 rides and god knows how many shops selling identical merchandise and restaurants serving identical food...
How are they not improving them(DHS and Epcot)?
We know they are spending Millions on TSL, SWE and some other additions at DHS, and there are multiple reports of additions coming to EPCOT.
granted all are rumored to be worked on until 50th celebration.

I also agree that Universal has raised the bar a great deal with Potter land.

I also think you are greatly under selling Avatar and SWE. I think they will once again reset the bar.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
How are they not improving them(DHS and Epcot)?
We know they are spending Millions on TSL, SWE and some other additions at DHS, and there are multiple reports of additions coming to EPCOT.
granted all are rumored to be worked on until 50th celebration.

I also agree that Universal has raised the bar a great deal with Potter land.

I also think you are greatly under selling Avatar and SWE. I think they will once again reset the bar.
He's still convinced that SWL won't ever happen at DHS, hence his attitude.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I agree that Disney needs to step up their game, but don't forget:

The first Potter area opened with one new ride, cheap simple rethemed of two others, and like 18 shops. Dragon Alley is 1 ride, a billion shops and stuff, and a train to the other park. There's a lot to be impressed with at the Potter parks, but if we ignore the low effort rethemes, it's just two E tickets, shops, and a transport ride.

Star Wars Land is going to be 2 new E tickets. I wish there was a C ticket type ride there I addition, but oh well. It will still have as many new attractions as both Potters combined (other than the underwhelming train ride).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom