Pre-Trip The "we're big fat liars who couldn't stay away for even six months" pre-trip report

Greetings from New Jersey! It's me, Bee, your favorite opera singing vegetarian lesbian on WDW Magic!

For an idea of my Disney style, you can check some of my previous TRs. You can also read a bit about my wife, M (my traveling companion and favorite person in the whole world) and me:

Flowers, Family, and ??Fireworks?? (and lots of FOOD): A Memorial Week Trip Report
Yes, we're a little crazy! Our trip to the 20th Annual Beer and Heat Festival
Ex-Floridians take on Walt Disney World during summer
A February Drinking Around the World, Resort-Hopping Disneymoon!

At the end of my last report I reported on our plans not to renew our APs and not to go back to WDW for awhile. As we looked at the calendar for the rest of the year and considered holiday travel plans, it became apparent that it is going to be difficult-to-impossible to travel to see family for Christmas due to the timing of things this year. On a whim I checked the Southwest fares for around Thanksgiving, and there was a really good deal on direct flights to Florida. ORLANDO, Florida.

You do the math. Two Disney Freak Ex-Floridians plus cheap Southwest flights to Orlando plus a few days off from work equals…

We’re going back!

The best deal was for Wednesday-Monday (and that gives us a little buffer in case of delays, severe weather, etc.). I’m off Wednesday anyway and can take off Monday, and M can take off both days. Since we’re flying to/from Orlando, it’s only logical that we spend time at Disney at the beginning and end of our trip!

Before any of you get your hopes up on our behalf and imagine us drinking around the world and riding Frozen and New Soarin’, know that we do not intend to purchase park tickets. We went through various options including one day Epcot tickets, one day Hoppers, and multi-day Hoppers. But the cost of a one day peak ticket is JUST SO MUCH. And once we start talking multi-day tickets, I start talking AP upgrades, and it’s like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Or If You Give These Disney Obsessed Lesbians Park Tickets. We’ll be tempted to go on multiple weekend trips for every little occasion like we did last year. We’ll want to get a TiW card. We’ll start booking dessert parties. WHO KNOWS where this could lead???

So in the end, we have decided this will be a no-parks trip. But it will be a resort-hopping, trying new things, relaxing together trip!! After all, there is SO MUCH to do outside of the parks, and as many times as we’ve been we haven’t done it all! Stay tuned for some specific plans.

Tag time, in no particular order, for both those who requested a tag and those who have followed along in the past and might be interested. If I left you out I apologize, and if you don't want to follow I take no offense. @ScarletBegonias @MinnieM123 @Tuvalu @figmentfan423 @dclfan @betty rose @Ciara @FlaggNL @C.FERNIE @sheriffwoody @LisaBelle @21stamps @Tiggerish @samantha788 @Tony the Tigger @fractal @lostpro9het @Doc Disney @WDW74 @jrogue @BuddyThomas @TheMouseFan @DisneyShe @ajrwdwgirl @docdebbi @Mickey2422 @WDWDarling @Mindy16 @minnie2000 @littleroo @disneypearl @Tom @maelstrom98 @Beastly74 @wdisney9000

bee

Original Poster
yay! can't wait to read along!
Thanks!

Cool idea! Looking forward to the report :)
Thanks!

Loved all your other trip reports and can't wait to read this one! Every time my husband and I go I we say to each other this is the last trip for a while....and then three days after we get home I'm forwarding him flight prices to go back! I blame my post Disney trip depression!
Glad you enjoyed my past reports! The Disney Depression is so real.

You girls are going to LOVE FQ!!! :D Following along
We are so excited to stay at a new resort! :D

bee

Original Poster
curlers.jpg

I'm off to a dress rehearsal for an opera I'm doing in NJ this weekend. I am about to go out in public like this.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Love the report title! :joyfull:

We did a no-parks trip a few years ago and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. In fact, because my AP expires this weekend, and I'll be staying at AKL for 2 nights the following weekend (pre-cruise), I'll be having a resort-hopping trip shortly (and will warm up a seat at Victoria Falls bar for you)! ;)

I don't think your schedule is too packed, you can pace yourself in between your ADRs. :p

bee

Original Poster
Oh my Bee, I don't think that I could do a resort only Trip.
May the force be with you!
And also with you! :p

That's what I thought initially, but honestly the one-day ticket prices were the nail in the coffin. Plus we have so little time there and when I actually made a schedule of what we want to do I realized it's pretty packed! I think we will barely miss the parks.

I absolutely adored POFQ! Such a quaint, beautiful resort. You will have a wonderful trip! And greetings from a fellow NJ-ian. I recently relocated to the Philly area, but refuse to give up my Jersey girl status.
Thanks! We are so excited! We've only been in NJ for a little over two years but NJ feels more like home than the states where I lived previously (Florida and Texas :eek:). Unless work dictates otherwise we plan on staying here in North Jersey.

bee

Original Poster
The opera is over and it went incredibly well! The company has already re-hired me for another gig in December :D

Now that life is somewhat back to normal (my church and school jobs have started again) I can get excited for this trip!!

I'm a little concerned about the construction at POFQ. The Disney site says the refurbishment will go from Summer 2016-Fall 2016. Has anyone visited recently who can assure me that my stay won't be too affected?

ETA: We finally got a reservation at Trattoria al forno for Sunday late morning. We'll cancel Whispering Canyon Cafe and skip lunch since we're having a late breakfast and then Boma for dinner.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
The opera is over and it went incredibly well! The company has already re-hired me for another gig in December :D

Now that life is somewhat back to normal (my church and school jobs have started again) I can get excited for this trip!!

I'm a little concerned about the construction at POFQ. The Disney site says the refurbishment will go from Summer 2016-Fall 2016. Has anyone visited recently who can assure me that my stay won't be too affected?
We did some walking around the a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any noise. and of course CONGRATS on such a successful opera!

bee

Original Poster
We did some walking around the a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any noise. and of course CONGRATS on such a successful opera!
Thanks, @figmentfan423! I am FINALLY catching up on your TR.

For a competition next week I am singing some art songs including Schubert's "Ständchen."

You may recognize it as part of the Germany Pavilion theme music at Epcot (starts about 8:18 below).

Which is hilarious to me because Schubert was Austrian, not German. :rolleyes:

Makes me want to eat at the Biergarten!

LisaBelle

Thanks for the tag!
School started and I have been so busy I've barely had time to read trip reports. As others have said, I admire you will power. I am always complaining that there isn't enough time to slow down and enjoy resorts so this sounds like an awesome plan.
Excited to hear your opera went so well and you have a signed contract for another! Bravo!
Can't wait to read more about your plans and to follow along on your TR.

bee

Original Poster
I'll be thinking of you Thursday night! ;)
Mmm I'm totes jelly! Have a beer for me!

Thanks for the tag!
School started and I have been so busy I've barely had time to read trip reports. As others have said, I admire you will power. I am always complaining that there isn't enough time to slow down and enjoy resorts so this sounds like an awesome plan.
Excited to hear your opera went so well and you have a signed contract for another! Bravo!
Can't wait to read more about your plans and to follow along on your TR.
Thanks for reading and following! I hope you have a wonderful year with the kiddos!

bee

Original Poster
Yesterday was September 23, which means yesterday was exactly two months before our arrival in Orlando and our one-night stay offsite!

Online checkin for POFQ will be soon. What are the checkin options? Will it let me select a specific building or will it be more general? Will there be view options?

I'm so ready for Disney after the last few weeks of crazy!

bee

Original Poster
Updates!!

We found a better deal for a hotel for our first night so we have switched from Embassy Suites to Springhill Suites by Marriott. We know the breakfast won't be amazing like at ES but the Springhill nightly rate was about half as much and they don't charge for parking.

I did online checkin today for POFQ. The checkin page has changed since the last time we used it. I requested a king bed and an upper floor.

We also moved around a few dining reservations. We now have Il Mulino dinner, Frontera Cocina dinner, Boma dinner, Trattoria al forno breakfast, and Kona Cafe breakfast. The two breakfasts are repeated favorites, Boma for dinner is new (we've eaten breakfast there twice), and Il Mulino and Frontera are completely new to us.

And in non-Disney travel news, one month today we fly to Chicago to celebrate our two-year wedding anniversary!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
EXCELLENT choice!!! IM is one of our favorite spots. They have great variety, huge portions and really treat the patrons well! Enjoy the limoncello!

Seconded!!

@bee, I'm sure you'll love Il Mulino! That and Kona breakfast are the only two on your list that I've tried before. Like you, have enjoyed breakfast at Boma, but never dinner. Will be looking forward to your reviews! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom