Clear indication attendance projections are down

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That's exactly backwards. Increasing attendance has a negative effect on spending-per-guest. Cast members spend money when they visit, but less than "normal" guests, which brings the average down.
This is true. If I were not hauling my kids along I most certainly be buying more expensive adult beverages and trinkets.

SorcererMC

I've spoken with a friend and he tells me its a 40% discount valid through the same period as the comp tickets

Based on this info, I'm thinking that this is a goodwill gesture for the CMs. Haven't a lot of perks been taken away in the past couple of years? Maybe morale is low?

hopemax

I've spoken with a friend and he tells me its a 40% discount valid through the same period as the comp tickets

Awesome. Thanks. I wondered if this is just the Cast Holiday discount staring early, since it normally starts mid-October.

Goofyernmost

I am going to say something that would go over like a pay toilet in a diarrhea ward, but, maybe they are taking advantage of a slower time to reward those CM's that had to work additional to keep the parks running. Of course, that would indicate that perhaps Disney isn't the evil empire, so... probably not.

raven

I find this news interesting because Disney actually just made a huge CUT to their Hospitality Pass program.

If you aren't familiar with Hospitality Passes, this program provides a 1-day pass to all WDW parks and water parks to nearby companies who have employees that work specifically in hospitality departments with high guest interaction. It's designed to give Disney knowledge to that employee and help them talk up the parks to guests. (Sea World/Busch Gardens often offers a full annual pass for the same program. Universal rarely gives out anything.)

Disney tightened the radius circle of businesses who receive these perks and resorts and hospitality businesses that are only within a mile of WDW are now receiving these perks. Some of these resorts and businesses even provide free WDW transportation and have a Disney ticket counter in their lobby. But some of those places are now pulling out Disney related things due to some of this. It's always been a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship. Some argue that Disney doesn't need to give out these passes anymore but then seeing this thread come up throws a wrench in that whole theory.

StarshipDisney

Hope I don't get flamed for saying this, but I would actually love if attendance is down during my visit next month. I remember going the first week of December 2007 and on that particular trip the ONLY ride that we had any significant wait for was SOARIN at EPCOT. But we were still able to ride that 3 times. I took a picture of the Spaceship Earth ride at EPCOT saying "0 minute" standby wait. AK, MK, and HS also were a cake walk to ride anything. I can only hope for another such trip!

I do always try to go during the value season and when kids are in school.

rudyjr13

I still don't understand then why December pre Christmas week would see a bump in attendance which is being predicted.

GymLeaderPhil

WDW doesn't just decided at the last minute to provide a gesture like this for no reason.

Attendance is down and revenue is suffering. It's the reason Iger didn't mention domestic Parks and Resorts in his last quarterly update. It's the reason there's a Passholder $79 ticket until September 30 as well. There's a reason Cast Member block out dates were lifted for the first weekends for Food and Wine. All the Florida Resident block out dates that were lifted in the Spring and Summer. Hell, even Night of Joy and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Parties haven't had a sell out yet.

Fiscal year ends the same time the tickets and discounts end. Do the math, there's no other correlation or causation.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Surprising. Certainly this indicates that management wants to drive attendance through the end of the fiscal year. It may indicate that projections show attendance below budget, but it could simply be that the company is trying to attack one of the few slow seasons remaining in a way they haven't tried before.

In any event, letting people in free means that they've decided that the incremental parking, food, and merch revenue is worth making this offer. That surprises me very much, as I assume that those that come in free wind up spending less on food and merch than others do. The company seems to believe that there's excess capacity at the parks during this period, and it's better to get some revenue than none.

djkidkaz

Don't forget they opened up the water parks to Cast Members this summer for free. Normally during summer months Cast Members have to buy a ticket at discounted prices to enter.

Also, it's an election year and with the amount of concern and worry that goes along with that, and more so this time around with the candidates, revenue is expected to dip. People just don't spend on election years due to all the uncertainty.

21stamps

Don't forget they opened up the water parks to Cast Members this summer for free. Normally during summer months Cast Members have to buy a ticket at discounted prices to enter.

Also, it's an election year and with the amount of concern and worry that goes along with that, and more so this time around with the candidates, revenue is expected to dip. People just don't spend on election years due to all the uncertainty.
This is probably the most accurate comment on this thread. Election years are always down in profit for most businesses.
I still don't understand then why December pre Christmas week would see a bump in attendance which is being predicted.
My week in early December jumped from 2s and 3s to 7-9s. I don't understand it either!

SorcererMC

WDW doesn't just decided at the last minute to provide a gesture like this for no reason.

Attendance is down and revenue is suffering. It's the reason Iger didn't mention domestic Parks and Resorts in his last quarterly update. It's the reason there's a Passholder $79 ticket until September 30 as well. There's a reason Cast Member block out dates were lifted for the first weekends for Food and Wine. All the Florida Resident block out dates that were lifted in the Spring and Summer. Hell, even Night of Joy and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Parties haven't had a sell out yet.

Fiscal year ends the same time the tickets and discounts end. Do the math, there's no other correlation or causation.

I make one attempt to not be cynical and hope that it's not just about :greedy:....and there you go putting logic into it.

Edit: and @MichWolv , too.

Mat Cauthon

My week in early December jumped from 2s and 3s to 7-9s. I don't understand it either!
Our upcoming trip isn't in December but it also jumped 2-3 points per day as well.

Edit to add to the actually OP discussion: I'm happy to see the CM's get some perks back regardless of the reason.

Last edited:

Karenb64

As a TA I've never had a problem getting discounts for my clients, but this fall, it's been hard. I have to believe the number of people they are letting take advantage of the discount offer has been reduced, plus with the small % off of rooms for the late fall makes me think, they are not hurting for guests this fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom