ROA RETURNS SUMMER 2017

GiveMeTheMusic

On another point:

"This Disneyland original has been taking guests on a journey along four iconic American rivers since it opened on July 17, 1955."

Was the "four iconic American rivers" theme original to ROA and MT in 1955? I'm embarrassed to say I thought this was an innovation of the most recent Tony Baxter enhancement. Did I get this wrong?

No, you're right.

Stevek

"Sailing Ship Columbia is an exact replica of the 18th century merchant vessel, Columbia Rediviva, the first American ship to circumnavigate the globe, and the namesake of Oregon’s Columbia River."

"Exact Replica"? Seriously? There are almost zero records of Columbia Rediviva. IIRC, the historical record is limited to a couple of renderings/engravings by contemporary artists. Disney has previously said that the details were taken from other equivalent ships of the day. And in any event, it's a SCALE REPLICA, not an exact replica. I really hate incompetent PR hacks.

To be fair to the PR hacks, the "Exact Replica" comment has been part of the narration for decades.

Here's an article with a couple of artists renderings and while not exact, it's pretty darn close (colors are a bit off)
http://www.lewis-clark.org/article/578

SpaceMountain75

Looks like Tom Sawyer's Island is getting a paint job. Photos and reporting from @MouseInfo on Twitter:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Old Mouseketeer

To be fair to the PR hacks, the "Exact Replica" comment has been part of the narration for decades.

Here's an article with a couple of artists renderings and while not exact, it's pretty darn close (colors are a bit off)
http://www.lewis-clark.org/article/578

I really hate to quibble, but in no way does DL's Columbia have a draft of 11'. Columbia is about as exact a replica of Columbia Rediviva as the dinos in Jurassic Park/World are of real dinosaurs.

Look, I love Columbia. I know CMs who love her, even as they call her "the frying pan" because working on deck is blistering hot in the summer. I love the sea chanties, including an extended version of "Blow ye winds westerly" that was featured in the 1967 Circlevision America, the Beautiful.

But I hate the PR overreach. I love the tribute to a great, historic American sailing vessel. As a theme park attraction, it's way above average.

Phroobar

I was looking at that too as I walked by on the way to Mansion to catch some Pokemon. It does seem a little strange but I kind of like it.

D

Deleted member 107043

Just for fun here's the Old Mill in 1966.

4-66OldMill.jpg

What's the word on the treehouse? Will it be returning? At the risk of having my DL Fan Card revoked I'll admit that I haven't been to TSI since they added the Pirates overlay, so I'm not even sure if the treehouse was still open before the river closed. :angelic:

TP2000

What's the word on the treehouse? Will it be returning? At the risk of having my DL Fan Card revoked I'll admit that I haven't been to TSI since they added the Pirates overlay, so I'm not even sure if the treehouse was still open before the river closed. :angelic:

It's been closed for several years, after it failed to meet modern safety codes for fall protection. No clue what its future is, but in this current refurbishment it's behind scaffolding getting a full repaint and heavy work done. It may come back as just a decorative thing?

George Lucas on a Bench

4-66OldMill.jpg

It looks better in the past. Granted, it doesn't have a huge ugly area in the front of it for staging a ridiculous nighttime show. But the plants all along the shore seem to have been carefully chosen to capture the look of wetlands in Missouri or something. It looks kinda crappy these days by comparison.

SpaceMountain75

4-66OldMill.jpg

That's an amazing picture! Is there anything in the park that looks better today than it did in 1966?

George Lucas on a Bench

Adventureland possibly looks better in terms of foliage since everything has grown in. I know in some old photos, it looks sparse by comparison and I think the buildings look mostly better these days, a major exception being the Tahitian Terrace.

Frontierland also looked better in recent years since the back portion of the park was developed, but now it's back to looking basically shoddy beyond the main entrance since they turned it into the Star Wars land construction zone. It's like de-evolved.

Fantasyland definitely looks better these days, even though some amazing things were lost such as Skull Rock and the pirate ship.

I know at various points in the past, Main Street has been redone and now looks less authentic, with comparatively gaudy colors on the buildings, for instance. However, it's not the kind of thing you notice when you're there, only when you compare.

See, I do know my Disneyland history to a certain extent.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom