The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Yeah, I like the ones where they believe he flips in his grave over liquor at BOG or when CMs were allowed to have facial hair, Lordie.

Still there are things about The Man that are not such a reach to nail the things that were important to him. He was rather OCD. IMO he would not be amused with parks being out of order, in need of paint, emptying garbage cans quicker as he was a knitpicker. I'd go with the odds he would not endorse the breaking of themes in the lands of the parks. It seemed too important to him with the Magic Kingdom to not ever let CMs cross into different lands let alone letting one land physically bleed into another. He appeared to have standards for certain areas of his business that he didn't waffle and didn't seem to indecisive about.

While the Invasion of Animation into the world showcase is a toss up. That one I could argue either way. He introduced animation to the world in so many different forms and was certainly an opportunist. Then I recall how he really wanted an EPCOT type park and Frozen didn't exactly meet those standards. And finally the rational side of me plops me in the middle, our EPCOT isn't Walt's vision of EPCOT so who the heck could say if he would approve or not.

Me, I would like to think Walt smiles when he looks down at AK Safari. What he really wanted for the Jungle cruise.

^^^^^That up there. I've read 7 Disney biographies, read many other articles, and watched many a piece on the man. There are many aspects of the way he wanted his company to be run that just aren't up for interpretation.

Just 2 examples that still ring for me...

From John Hench's book "Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show".
John Hench said that Walt wanted to use real leather straps, like the original coaches from back in the day, to suspend the stage coaches from their frames on that original ride at DL. John suggested using metal leaf springs because the people woudn't know the difference. Hench was immediately admonished by Walt for being a "bad communicator" and was reassured by Walt that the Guests would indeed notice and appreciate the attention to detail. Hench went on to become one of the most legendary Imagineers ever, known for his great attention to detail, especially when it came to story and color dynamics.

The other I remember reading about was, when Walt was incognito (with an Imagineer) in Disneyland one day, he witnessed a CM bussing an outdoor table at an eatery. This was being dumped onto that, that into this, much noise.
Walt quietly pulled the shocked CM aside and explained to him how all that needs to be done out of the view of Guests. Pretty sure that talk only occurred once. Although, who knows.

Yep, based on his having to let go of the real, live, wild animal thing for JC, I'm pretty sure Walt would like most of AK, especially the theming and, of course, the live animals. ;)

Also, I've been to DL 5 times between '68 and '10, during my childhood and adulthood, and WDW 8 times between '88 and just this past Feb. only as an adult. Let's just say, I notice things...

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
You'd think I lived in animal kingdom. He sat in puddle in driveway in pouring flooding rain. Huge happy frog. Didn't care I walked past him, didn't care I backed truck out past him. Just continued to sit in the puddle in the down pouring rain. A frog's life.

CjWr75hUgAEGhML.jpg

Gabe1

^^^^^That up there. I've read 7 Disney biographies, read many other articles, and watched many a piece on the man. There are many aspects of the way he wanted his company to be run that just aren't up for interpretation.

Also, I've been to DL 5 times between '68 and '10, during my childhood and adulthood, and WDW 8 times between '88 and just this past Feb. only as an adult. Let's just say, I notice things...

I'm pretty darn objective most of the time anyhow. I call out the things that are just wrong and praise the things I love. But I look at things like the WoL and Imagination Pavilion or worse the tombstones that greet ya at the entrance of Epcot and can't sing the praises. There are some awesome things at the Parks and some that don't make me happy. I can't imagine some of these things would please Walt either and I don't think that is a reach given his temperament.

donaldtoo

I'm pretty darn objective most of the time anyhow. I call out the things that are just wrong and praise the things I love. But I look at things like the WoL and Imagination Pavilion or worse the tombstones that greet ya at the entrance of Epcot and can't sing the praises. There are some awesome things at the Parks and some that don't make me happy. I can't imagine some of these things would please Walt either and I don't think that is a reach given his temperament.

Yep, the man could be one of the most gracious people you've ever met, and then, in a different setting, be one of the biggest SOBs you've ever met. Basically, he was human. ;)
Although, arguably, much more motivated and creative than most.

Gabe1

What??? Epcot now has hoverbenches...?!?!?! :jawdrop:

:D ;)

Isn't it funny the things ya notice. Me it is park benches. Those things just keep moving and then disappearing. At least I can say something nice about the Studios, there are still some at Echo and Sunset still has the lovely Urban City Benches to watch the street shows from.

But considering the amount of trees that have met the chainsaw as of late, sitting in the shade on a park bench eating a Mickey Bar takes some planning these days. Yesteryear so many built in benches under pretty Cherry Trees. We often took a break in the hub when my kids were tiny. They could walk about a bit without getting trampled, enjoy an ice cream bar.

126.jpg

I really liked as you made your way through the hub the castle then came into full view. Miss that.

Gabe1

Woof! :confused: That's gettin' up there!
DWifey tells me we paid about $160 a night for our family suite at ASMusic this past February. And, I'm no longer a CM, so that was without the 60% discount.
Although, due to cutbacks, I don't think they even extend those kinds of discounts to CMs anymore.
Pretty much the same family suite at AoA definitely is NOT worth more than twice the price of a family suite at ASMusic for us.
Plus, we basically only use the resort to crash and clean up, so it really doesn't make sense for us.

In 40% because he wasn't staying with us so it was friends and family discount. Still the DP food discount and tickets made up for it. But considering the rack rate was 30% off oy. I think we were only paying $25 for DDP with 1 table, 1 QS, snack and refill cup a day. In 2012 I got 60%, still $25 a day for DDP and tickets so the rooms have gone up and the choices are really limited. We couldn't get POR lucky we got FQ. The time before I had to go to Coronado or Caribbean. I really don't care for Caribbean, its set up is just too creepity for me at night. FQ is likely the best when I'm on my own or with my DD. Even the back buses for POR are not in my comfort level late at night. I get off at the lobby and walk the main paths verses through the bushes and cars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom