Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pretty sure there is plenty.. but the executives will always say "it costs money? then forget it!"

That's one advantage of the CCP having a grip on Disney's short and curlies, CCP says I want and CCP GETS no matter what the Accountaneers in Burbank say, Unfortunately for US park fans that translates to huge cuts in US parks to make TWDC look good for 'The Street'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Remember The Magic...an Ad campaign based on looking back, not looking at what is happening now or what is to come...but come to Disney because it was fun a long time ago...you know before we closed a lot of attractions because they were expensive to run...lol

Have you seen the latest Disney Ad's The ones that say 'Magic is created by staying in a Disney Resort' Nothing about the parks etc we just want your butt in an overpriced Disney hotel.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In my opinion, I find modern Walt Disney World commercials to lack some spirit or heart that I remember seeing in the late 90's until 2005 during the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland.

Everyone mentions 2005 as the last time Disney was well Disney, Well in 2006 Iger took over as Chairman and CEO and that's when Disney as a company died sure it's still around but as I've noted I think it's on borrowed time and has been for a while.

Matt_Black

Everyone mentions 2005 as the last time Disney was well Disney, Well in 2006 Iger took over as Chairman and CEO and that's when Disney as a company died sure it's still around but as I've noted I think it's on borrowed time and has been for a while.

WDAS has been on fire for about 5 years now, the television animation department looks like it's on the cusp of being what it was in the 90s (between a new Ducktales and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, that alone has me excited as can be).

Bocabear

Have you seen the latest Disney Ad's The ones that say 'Magic is created by staying in a Disney Resort' Nothing about the parks etc we just want your butt in an overpriced Disney hotel.
It's true...I think the entire company has way too many people in marketing as well...stop marketing the product, but focus on creating a product worth marketing... Seems like there was a time when Disney didn't do all that much advertising...you would go to the parks and just discover new things...the marketing machine had not been hyping the latest churro cart or magical new pavement in Frontierland... it just happened. Can you imagine how much money they could put into the park if they just gave up billboards in South Florida? We live here...we know Disney is there... we don't need a billboard for Disney Springs...but put that money into Park Enhancement and it could actually do some good...and with social media, pictures posted online of something amazing and new would actually go farther than a billboard showing a mother and daughter trying on hats with the caption "Disney Springs...Where You Belong". and with no point of reference whatsoever...Disney Springs could be a Hat Shop in Haileah for all the info the Billboard gives you... What a huge corporate waste of money.

Bocabear

Were all of those old attractions at that point? I have to say I never actually saw that commercial run...But that doesn't mean it was not used in many markets... My point was, if you are spending more money in advertising than the actual attractions you are advertising, then there is something wrong...especially when the resort is already at capacity most of the year...

Mike S

It's true...I think the entire company has way too many people in marketing as well...stop marketing the product, but focus on creating a product worth marketing... Seems like there was a time when Disney didn't do all that much advertising...you would go to the parks and just discover new things...the marketing machine had not been hyping the latest churro cart or magical new pavement in Frontierland... it just happened. Can you imagine how much money they could put into the park if they just gave up billboards in South Florida? We live here...we know Disney is there... we don't need a billboard for Disney Springs...but put that money into Park Enhancement and it could actually do some good...and with social media, pictures posted online of something amazing and new would actually go farther than a billboard showing a mother and daughter trying on hats with the caption "Disney Springs...Where You Belong". and with no point of reference whatsoever...Disney Springs could be a Hat Shop in Haileah for all the info the Billboard gives you... What a huge corporate waste of money.
Lol, I agree on the totally random DS billboard. They used to have one right next to where I live for Everest and then TSMM but now it's not Disney's anymore. I can't tell you how hard it was waiting to ride Everest and passing that billboard all the time.

Brad Bishop

LOL it is probably sitting in a warehouse next to the Mickey's Starland signs and cutouts...

The sad thing is that while I hated the castle cake, it was pretty cool that they were trying to do something "grand" for the 25th. When you look back at the 40th and, essentially, nothing - it makes you really wonder what happened to Disney. Maybe I should say: What happened to WDW side of Disney. DL 50th was pretty grand, from what I understand, and the 60th, which I experienced, was pretty cool. They cared about making a grand spectacle out of it.

Hopefully they'll do something for WDW's 50th - even if it's concentrated on the things that were there in 1971 like MK, Contemporary, and Poly - that'd still be cool. I would totally get why they wouldn't concentrate it in all parks and resorts.

Bocabear

Lol, I agree on the totally random DS billboard. They used to have one right next to where I live for Everest and then TSMM but now it's not Disney's anymore. I can't tell you how hard it was waiting to ride Everest and passing that billboard all the time.
then that means their marketing is working...lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
WDAS has been on fire for about 5 years now, the television animation department looks like it's on the cusp of being what it was in the 90s (between a new Ducktales and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, that alone has me excited as can be).

WDAS/Pixar have been on a roll for sure, However that's John Lasseter's influence without him all we would see is 'direct to digital' sequels of previously successful properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom