February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

Cesar R M

Oh for sure! I know quite a few people who would probably sell their souls to Satan just to be able to afford a trip every year (sometimes more than once a year). The truth is, Disney will never be 'too expensive' for the rabidly addicted.
Agree. I know of people who 've eaten ramen for months just to have enough money to get to comicon.
And as soon its done.. they reserve for next year..
and so on..

raven

I've said over and over again the problem with the "over crowding" of the parks was created by Disney themselves. SO many rooms have been added to the property to raise the number of visiting guests yet they have NOT added a significant amount of room for these guests to spread out (aka a new park). So this isn't really a "problem" since they are the ones that created it in the first place. It's just the story they put out to the press to run with but in reality it was their plan to make money all along.

zooey

If you're a first timer and only going for one day I would say the price is still worth it. I feel like that customer is less and less common, so if you gotta encourage people to commit to a longer stay that's in Disneys best interest. Most people are all multis anyway and you definitely get your money's worth on a multi. When you consider other entertainment cost per hour it's still reasonable.

No Name

Wait, I'm confused... So the tiered ticket is only happening, at the moment, to single day tickets? If so, what the hell is all the fuss about. Also, thinking along that line, how would it be possible to charge multi-day tickets to include altered price. You buy it this year and perhaps use it next year. They can't come back and charge you more at that point. My guess is that it is just a way for Disney to make more money on the single day guests. They others they have captive for multiple days and will extract money, above ticket price, merely by the fact that multi-day holders will be there longer, eating more and buying more, plus probably using the resort hotels more.

Or perhaps we just panic for the sake of panicing! If they knew how to charge that way for multi-day tickets you can bet that they would have done that now, not later. Not that it think it's good that they have gone up on single day stuff, but, I can guarantee you that it will not affect me at all. I'm not driving 600 miles for one day. Neither are most of you, so it is about Florida residents that don't have AP's or people passing through with just one day to spare that will be hit with the higher "tier" charges. Big damn deal!

No, it will reach multi-day tickets next year if not some time this year. They're likely just doing this for single-day tickets now because they don't want to change too much at one time in case there is a problem. It's kind of like a test.

Look at my post above (post #24) if you'd like to know the multi-day tickets will likely work. Or as AshaNeOhma suggested, they could sell you points at a solid price, but each type of day costs a different number of points to enter on. My point is that there are plenty of ways that it could work.

Much like Magic Your Way, this is really the next evolution in ticket pricing, but without a name (yet). What could it be called? Aha, I got it. Magic Your Way +. Or MyMagicYourWay+. Cmon I know they can't resist it. But no matter what unneccesary name it's given, this is the future. It's like they have a ball of clay sitting on top of a mold, and they're pressing that clay down to fill in every corner. This pricing is here to stay.

Last edited:

Nubs70

Wait, I'm confused... So the tiered ticket is only happening, at the moment, to single day tickets? If so, what the hell is all the fuss about. Also, thinking along that line, how would it be possible to charge multi-day tickets to include altered price. You buy it this year and perhaps use it next year. They can't come back and charge you more at that point. My guess is that it is just a way for Disney to make more money on the single day guests. They others they have captive for multiple days and will extract money, above ticket price, merely by the fact that multi-day holders will be there longer, eating more and buying more, plus probably using the resort hotels more.

Or perhaps we just panic for the sake of panicing! If they knew how to charge that way for multi-day tickets you can bet that they would have done that now, not later. Not that it think it's good that they have gone up on single day stuff, but, I can guarantee you that it will not affect me at all. I'm not driving 600 miles for one day. Neither are most of you, so it is about Florida residents that don't have AP's or people passing through with just one day to spare that will be hit with the higher "tier" charges. Big damn deal!
Single Day tickets are the easiest not to screw up. Once Single Day is mastered and implications understood, other ticket forms will follow.

PrincessNelly_NJ

My guess is that buying tickets in advance will not be so simple. You will have to select what days you'll be in what park at the time of your ticket purchase.

And if you change your days, then you may be subject to paying the increase.

ParentsOf4

Your thoughts on this graph from the NYT article. I think both you and @WDW1974 would disagree.

"Disney tends to increase ticket prices once a year — recently, at well above the rate of inflation — and it always prompts a degree of consumer outrage. But in pure economic terms, Disney’s price increases have been modest considering the soaring demand, analysts say."
The article is generally correct, even if the chart showing one-day ticket prices is somewhat misleading.

TWP.jpg

First, this chart uses $3.50 as the starting point which, in 1971, only covered admission. This does not include most attractions. Throw those in and the price in 1971 was $9.35, more than 2 1/2 times higher. Second, it focuses exclusively on one-day tickets, failing to take into consideration changes to more commonly purchased multiday tickets, where the long-term price trend is less severe. For example, since 2005, the price of a Magic Kingdom one-day ticket has increased by 76% while the price of a 5-day MYW base ticket has increased by 63%.

With the exception of a few years, most notably Michael Eisner's first 4, price increases for any one year have been only modestly higher than income. "This year's prices are only a few percent higher than last year's; what's the big deal?"

The big deal is the cumulative effect of ticket price increases since 1984. Excluding a few robust years in the 1990s, increases have outpaced income.

It's somewhat like what has happened to the cost of college education.

Decades ago, my freshman year at a private university cost $10,340 including tuition, room, board, and fees. (It's funny how certain numbers stick with you.) At the time, it was (and still is) among the most expensive colleges in the World. Adjusted for inflation, that comes out to $26,950 today. Instead, this year's cost is $61,640. :jawdrop:

Most undergraduates attending my alma mater today receive significant needs-based scholarships; only top earners actually pay today's total amount. (When I attended, less than half qualified for needs-based scholarships.) As a result, even today, my alma mater costs less than many state universities, especially for out-of-state tuition.

WDW is not like that. It is a for-profit business providing entertainment for the masses. WDW needs to attract tens-of-millions every year in order to survive. To do so, it needs to adjust to recognize trends in its customer base.

In 2005, Disney did exactly that with the creation of the Magic Your Way (MYW) ticket. If you wanted to continue to have gold-plated WDW vacations (park hoppers, water parks, no expiration), Disney would sell you that (at a much higher price ;)). However, if you were content to visit one theme park per day, MYW represented a return to the prices of the early 1990s. Disney effectively rebaselined the price of a WDW vacation.

For more than a decade since, Disney has done nothing to rebaseline its tickets. To the contrary, as noted in my earlier post, prices have outpaced earning across the entire spectrum of household income.

Currently, Orlando is experiencing an economic boom. Florida recently reported its best tourism year ever, breaking through 100 million visitors. When times are good, it's easy to forget the cyclical nature of markets.

Companies don't survive by ignoring market cycles. They certainly don't survive by pricing themselves out of their markets. Disney's executive leadership needs to devise schemes to drive value back into the theme parks instead of relying so heavily on extracting value from their "Guests".

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Personally, i think it's a good thing that they raised the prices...there are too many people at WDW and they need to keep some of the peasants at home.

Going to WDW is not a right. It is an earned privilege. If you can't afford it then go someplace more akin to your pocketbook.

bhg469

Personally, i think it's a good thing that they raised the prices...there are too many people at WDW and they need to keep some of the peasants at home.

Going to WDW is not a right. It is an earned privilege. If you can't afford it then go someplace more akin to your pocketbook.
Or just max out your credit card, which is more likely to happen. Raising prices will not cause people to skip the parks.

asianway

Jacking the one day won't dissuade anyone. They need to up the multi day and AP even more before you see some of the riff raff cry uncle

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom