Big changes coming to Annual Passes

asianway

Theme Park Tourist has a post about the "4 Perks coming for ALL Walt Disney World Passholders"
1. Advance access to Osborne Lights: November 1 - 5
2. Free F&W Wine glass after visiting Epcot on three separate days
3. Passholder discount on Disney Parks Shopping app
4. "Free PhotoPass Downloads (for renewals only)"

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read number 4. Did it ever occur to them one of several reasons for the increase in price is to supplement the cost of "free" parking and "free" PhotoPass downloads? There is nothing "free" about it and certainly not a "perk". You're paying for it whether you want it or not. And, yes, they do acknowledge that not all passes have this so-called "perk" (e.g. Silver).

http://www.themeparktourist.com/new...coming-year-all-walt-disney-world-passholders
In other news is Disneyland doing a Walt Wednesday for APs today?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Theme Park Tourist has a post about the "4 Perks coming for ALL Walt Disney World Passholders"

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read number 4. Did it ever occur to them one of several reasons for the increase in price is to supplement the cost of "free" parking and "free" PhotoPass downloads? There is nothing "free" about it and certainly not a "perk". You're paying for it whether you want it or not. And, yes, they do acknowledge that not all passes have this so-called "perk" (e.g. Silver).

http://www.themeparktourist.com/new...coming-year-all-walt-disney-world-passholders
The "free" photopass downloads at first glance seems worthy of the price hike, but as you said, the cost of that and the "free" parking are built into the increased price. Considering that the photopass photographers are already out there taking pictures, it really isnt costing Disney that much at all. The fact that they call these "perks" is silly to anybody with half a brain who is objective enough to realize that they are simply charging much more than any of the so called perks are worth.

For everybody else who believes Disney is doing this for guest benefit..., maybe when all the pee-pee on their pants dries, they can take a moment and realize that it has far more to do with curbing attendance due to the lack of expanding, and then they all can just switch their stance to, "Dis is a bizzness"

KeeKee

not good, They are taking a huge PR hit from what I am reading. I think if they would have waited until the new areas are all open they would have no push back at all.
That certainly would have made some difference, but overall it's still not going to be a popular move.

ratherbeinwdw

Okay. Someone explain the difference between PP and MM. It doesn't say anywhere, that I can find, that MM is included. It says PP is included. Does PP now become MM for passholders? It seems the only difference between the two is that PP requires you to pay 14.95 per picture to download, whereas, MM gives you full rights to download all photopass pictures and videos without cost. So does PP now become MM for AP's.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
not good, They are taking a huge PR hit from what I am reading. I think if they would have waited until the new areas are all open they would have no push back at all.

Oh yeah now even the average person is talking about closures at DHS and price increases and asking WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROT. Huge price increases + closures = not a good idea for Disney it's generated the worst kind of buzz. But how do they walk it back right now?, I think this increase orgy was driven by the dropoff at ESPN and the stock dive.

mousland

This pricing stinks! I just called to get a price for DVC members and was told that a Platinum pass is 691.00 (including tax) and it is 584.00 for a Gold with blocked out days. This is a slap in the face in my opinion. I will definitely need to reconsider buying an annual pass which will probably also mean only one visit do WDW in a years time. Disney really needs to reconsider this.

I haven't read all 34 pages on this topic, but here's my take:

WDW is in the business to make money and they're going to do whatever they can/want to make money...lots of it. They can do it simply because they can. They know that there are people out there (like me) who will always want to go to WDW and will renew every year. They know there are people who will travel to WDW and spend lots of money regardless of prices. When you travel, it's an expectation that you're going to spend money..that's why you save and budget.

IMO, they do a great job with entertaining kids and adults and truly have something for the entire family; when you're at Disney, it feels special. Where else can you go and get that experience? I have read many posts about WDW not having enough thrill rides, taking away hamburger locations, not expanding enough, not building fast enough, etc. In every one of those posts, you have people who are for and against the changes' we must know that they can't satisfy everyone and we will all have complaints from time to time.

I am an AP and a FL resident who lives only an hour away, so maybe I'm not the best example...but my family and I go to Disney quite often. Sometimes it's just for the day, other times we may stay a night (on or off property) and at least a couple times a year we'll go for an extended time of at least 4 days. If we were to do this without an AP, it would be astronomically expensive. We also have the Disney Visa card, so we get quite a few rewards dollars every month to use, plus discounts on food and merchandise. Depending on how often we go in a certain month, we may not have to pay for our food at all by using the Disney Rewards dollars.

It does suck that the prices went up...but let's face it...it's not the first time this has happened and I promise you it's not the last. We also can't expect WDW to make everyone happy and us agree with every choice they make.

At the end of the day, I think the future is bright for WDW and the future attractions are going to be great. I look forward to taking my family back to WDW in the years to come and at the same time expect prices to go up. Going to WDW is our thing and that's what we enjoy doing, so we'll find ways to make it work.
We visit Disney about the same and live 2 hours away. I could have renewed our weekday select passes the last week in September (as far as I know I still can at the old price as long as it's within 30 days of their expiration), yet have chosen not to. Our son, however, has one still active and from what I'm reading, that he can now get into the parks without paying the parking fee. When the pass' price only rose $20 a year and now saves $20 each time he parks there--it's a win win. I'll renew my pass again, but not until mid-Fall 2016 at the earliest in order to catch two Food & Wine Festivals and some of the new areas opening during that time frame.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This pricing stinks! I just called to get a price for DVC members and was told that a Platinum pass is 691.00 (including tax) and it is 584.00 for a Gold with blocked out days. This is a slap in the face in my opinion. I will definitely need to reconsider buying an annual pass which will probably also mean only one visit do WDW in a years time. Disney really needs to reconsider this.

If I may....

Why do they need to reconsider? You're upset because your cost per day went up. They want the cost per day to go up.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Okay for the sake of arguing let's agree that with an annual pass an average local family of 4 goes to Disney 20 nights a year. I think that's kind of the break even point for an AP (under the new pricing of about $800/yr) and it costs on average $40 a person $160 total to walk into a park for a day. Let's say they stay at a moderate resort for about $175 a night. let's say half the time they do table service and the other half quick serve. About $4000 in total or about $200 a day. For this hypothetical family your looking at an average of $535 a day. (A budget that allows them to stay at a nice place, eat well, and enjoy the parks)

Let's now say this family lives in Southern Cal and there was such thing as a Vegas annual pass. Which for our purposes we will say is free. They stay at a mid range hotel (say the Mirage) for $150 a night plus the $25 resort fee. Half the time they eat at a signature restaurant, and the other half at the food court of New York New York. their food budget is about the same at $4000. Now they want to enjoy a show for 15 of the 20 nights they spend in Vegas which runs about $60 a person for another $4100. For this hypothetical family your average cost is $580 per day.

Hmm.

Sonconato

We visit Disney about the same and live 2 hours away. I could have renewed our weekday select passes the last week in September (as far as I know I still can at the old price as long as it's within 30 days of their expiration), yet have chosen not to. Our son, however, has one still active and from what I'm reading, that he can now get into the parks without paying the parking fee. When the pass' price only rose $20 a year and now saves $20 each time he parks there--it's a win win. I'll renew my pass again, but not until mid-Fall 2016 at the earliest in order to catch two Food & Wine Festivals and some of the new areas opening during that time frame.
It is a win win...but as I mentioned before, I predict the parks are going to be enormously more crowded during "off peak" times because of this change, at least on the weekends. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Horizons1

Hmm. How about by charging more money now, they will be able to build more magic later?

BrianV

Okay for the sake of arguing let's agree that with an annual pass an average local family of 4 goes to Disney 20 nights a year. I think that's kind of the break even point for an AP (under the new pricing of about $800/yr) and it costs on average $40 a person $160 total to walk into a park for a day. Let's say they stay at a moderate resort for about $175 a night. let's say half the time they do table service and the other half quick serve. About $4000 in total or about $200 a day. For this hypothetical family your looking at an average of $535 a day. (A budget that allows them to stay at a nice place, eat well, and enjoy the parks)

Let's now say this family lives in Southern Cal and there was such thing as a Vegas annual pass. Which for our purposes we will say is free. They stay at a mid range hotel (say the Mirage) for $150 a night plus the $25 resort fee. Half the time they eat at a signature restaurant, and the other half at the food court of New York New York. their food budget is about the same at $4000. Now they want to enjoy a show for 15 of the 20 nights they spend in Vegas which runs about $60 a person for another $4100. For this hypothetical family your average cost is $580 per day.

Hmm.

Whatever the analysis shows, hard to compare a week at Vegas with a week in wdw. Might also compre the national parks while we are at it. Maybe my view of Vegas is colored by attending batchelor parties there, but I don't see it as the family destination. (Heck the taxi driver was pimping prostitites on us on the way from the airport.)

For a family that enjoys both, then the analysis might make sense.

Horizons1

Think about why this website might be posting nothing but positive buzz about this new pricing structure and its "perks". That should give a clear indication of what you're dealing with here.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Whatever the analysis shows, hard to compare a week at Vegas with a week in wdw. Might also compre the national parks while we are at it. Maybe my view of Vegas is colored by attending batchelor parties there, but I don't see it as the family destination. (Heck the taxi driver was pimping prostitites on us on the way from the airport.)

For a family that enjoys both, then the analysis might make sense.

You missed the point completely. Disney and Vegas are amongst the biggest tourist destinations in the U.S. The point is that even with Disney's pricing increase they are still on par or below Vegas. And yes, although Disney tends to cater more to families...there are plenty of families that visit Vegas regularly.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom