Big changes coming to Annual Passes

AEfx

Fair point, actually. But in that vein, you'd also have to count the other aspects of WDW's 4 Parks: way more dining options (and better, IMO), and way more entertainment. The extent to which someone values those as part of the admission they pay is, obviously, relative.

So much entertainment has been cut at WDW, I am not so sure they rule the roost there by very far. Ten years ago? Maybe. What's left is mostly fluff, filler - the days of big temporary stage shows with a cast of a dozens are long gone.

The point is, when you compare attraction to attraction (including permanent shows) the amount of attractions between the two coasts are very close. WDW does not have twice as much to do in 4 parks vs. the 2 parks in California.

As to dining, I have to respectfully disagree. Way more dining options? I see it the exact opposite. I was stunned on my first trip to Disneyland a few years ago how many food options they have there compared to WDW. No, they don't have as many ridiculously-overpriced sit-down meals, but they have far more counter/cafeteria service which has such a variety of food and the quality of their counter service is on par for what folks pay $40+/head for at WDW just to sit in a rushed sit-down restaurant you have to book six months in advance. And most of them are as well-themed in their location as the sit-downs at WDW.

So it's up to opinion what you prefer - a wide variety of high quality counter service at decent prices across all three meals (try finding more than a $5 muffin at WDW for breakfast without booking six months in advance and spending $30 on luke-warm bacon and eggs), or ultra-high priced (especially for what they are, particularly at the "family style meals) increasingly mediocre food you have to book half a year ahead of time for the privilege of over-paying for.

However, that said, it should really have no bearing whatsoever on the admission ticket cost. If anything, you've made the case for a lower price at WDW, as so much of it is subsidized but how much more you have to spend to get a decent meal there, and unlike Disneyland, you can't just walk three minutes across the street and eat at a variety of off-property locations, either.

JohnD

So if I don't renew this year and then buy one again next year....no photopass?

New AP purchases don't get photopass?

Obviously not. The story is in reference to "perks" this fall. You're reading too much into it. Of course, you get PP if you purchase new for the tiers that provide it.

nelsonj3

This is really upsetting. Our passes expire at the end of the month, and I wish I had known that there would be a huge price increase to stay with the no-blackout "platinum" (used to be regular) annual pass. I don't want or need free photopass service. I wish I could opt out of the photopass and save money on the price of the annual pass.

Tony the Tigger

You missed the point completely. Disney and Vegas are amongst the biggest tourist destinations in the U.S. The point is that even with Disney's pricing increase they are still on par or below Vegas. And yes, although Disney tends to cater more to families...there are plenty of families that visit Vegas regularly.

Yeah, since you don't need a pass to go to Vegas...

Cmdr_Crimson

Checked AAA's Website again to see if AP's Were still available....The were recently removed..Hopefully it won't be for long. But, right now the only passes available are Regular Park & Water Park tickets..

It's a shame that US Guests can't purchase the 7,14,or 21 Ultimate ticket like International guests can..http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/wal...ouseSavers.com&utm_campaign=Editorial+Content

I would do that instead rather than risk getting the AP..Universal has a similar 14 day Multi-pass that I was able to use and It worked perfectly for me...

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I know everyone is angry about this, but I'm not so sure that these changes won't convince me to buy a pass for the first time since 2010.

See, when I have an AP, I go fairly often, so the pass needs to include parking. In 2010 the cheapest option was about $500. And WDW isn't worth that to me. But now the cheaper seasonal pass includes parking, I'm considering one.

DisneyFans4Life

Here's something to think about:

Prices of passes have increased for what we think is to possibly get the crowds under control. The thought is that higher prices will turn some people away, thus resulting in less crowds at the parks. What if everyone who has a pass now renews when their current pass expires and then other people who aren't sure (like Disneyhead'71) buy a pass. Everyone feels that because they've paid more for the pass, they have to go more often to make each trip cheaper, to justify the higher cost of the pass. Everyone is going more often and instead of crowds thinning out...they actually get worse...

Hmm...

JohnD

I know everyone is angry about this, but I'm not so sure that these changes won't convince me to buy a pass for the first time since 2010.

See, when I have an AP, I go fairly often, so the pass needs to include parking. In 2010 the cheapest option was about $500. And WDW isn't worth that to me. But now the cheaper seasonal pass includes parking, I'm considering one.

Are you a Florida Resident? If so, you have that option. If not, then you can only purchase one of the Platinums with no blockouts.

erasure fan1

not good, They are taking a huge PR hit from what I am reading. I think if they would have waited until the new areas are all open they would have no push back at all.
This has been my issue with all the price increases over the years. I have no problem paying more when the increase is justified with new experiences and great new attractions. And then when you see something like new fantasyland it makes it harder to justify. Disney doesn't care about PR unless it results in people staying away but even with the increases more people than ever are going to the parks. As of now, Disney is going to continue to push the limit because there is no end in sight to the breaking point of "OK, this is just way too much money". I see all the parks WELL over the $100 mark, especially after avatar, star wars and toy story.

tribbleorlfl

I think a lot of us older fans jumped off the AP train years ago; if this is your breaking point, I have to wonder, "Why now?"
For my family, the answer to your question is simply despite the annual price increases, closing attractions and dwindling benefits, we still enjoyed the product and found it to be a good value for our entertainment dollars.

Now...the changes will likely mean the non-renewal of our passes as they have finally passed the threshold of a reasonable value and what our budget can handle.
Yea, we are a dying breed.
We were original PH's, as well, until my dad started working for the Mouse in '91.

Mammymouse

I just got my letter in the mail today from WDW about the AP changes. The back briefly details the different passes and what they include. BUT - not anywhere is the COST for the passes. Thought that was interesting! Also included in each is a "complimentary magicband". GRRRRRR - I have 14 of them. And the photo pass - I have a cell phone that I HAVE to take to the Parks now for the stupid (sorry) magic band program! Any picture I want I will be taking with my cell phone.

As I've read on this board the Platinum Pass seems to be equivalent to what I've had in the past, and it is going to be too much for me to justify paying for, even on the monthly plan. I guess we will get the "as we go" Park tickets here and there when we use our DVC points, and we'll be spending more non-park days and going off property, especially to eat now. Never thought it would come to this. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom