Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Mawg

I have a solution, build a Fantasmic like auditorium out in the back of Frontierland and move the fireworks and shows over there. They can just project the castle on a mist/water wall. The Hub is not a stadium, return it to what it should be.

Sage of Time

I wouldn't get your hopes up. There have been similar lighting towers in most of these locations for decades. You just didn't notice them as much because they blended into the trees. These are the replacements. They are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
I kinda disagree, seeing that the old ones were kinda themed, like Disneyland's. They were at least green and wrought iron.

Goofyernmost

There are a number of reasons why they redid the hub and you can bet that they didn't spend millions of dollars just because they didn't want higher bonuses. Large trees do indeed block some of the fireworks, but, if you really want the reason think Castle projections. They cannot be seen when a big ole tree is between you and it. Not everyone can fit into the hub for those shows. Some further back had to miss it all.

Also to straighten out a misconception. This isn't the first time in WDW history when the larger trees were removed and replaced with smaller ones. If I had to guess, I would say it has happened, at least, twice to three times before. The purpose of WDW is to entertain, not become a forest that blocks everyone's entertainment. I have trees all around me at home. What I am lacking is a castle and projections on said castle.

It's a tree, there are many more where they came from and I'm sure if public outrage is significant enough, they can easily replace them from their own tree nursery. I wouldn't count on that happening. Every response I have heard is about 4 out of 5 like what they are doing in that area. And really why have a beautiful castle at all if you can't see it as you approach.

Sonconato

There are a number of reasons why they redid the hub and you can bet that they didn't spend millions of dollars just because they didn't want higher bonuses. Large trees do indeed block some of the fireworks, but, if you really want the reason think Castle projections. They cannot be seen when a big ole tree is between you and it. Not everyone can fit into the hub for those shows. Some further back had to miss it all.

Also to straighten out a misconception. This isn't the first time in WDW history when the larger trees were removed and replaced with smaller ones. If I had to guess, I would say it has happened, at least, twice to three times before. The purpose of WDW is to entertain, not become a forest that blocks everyone's entertainment. I have trees all around me at home. What I am lacking is a castle and projections on said castle.

It's a tree, there are many more where they came from and I'm sure if public outrage is significant enough, they can easily replace them from their own tree nursery. I wouldn't count on that happening. Every response I have heard is about 4 out of 5 like what they are doing in that area. And really why have a beautiful castle at all if you can't see it as you approach.
The inspiration for Cinderella's Castle was Neuschwanstein Castle which doesn't need or have a show projected on it for people to like it. There seems to be something that is in this photo that is now missing at the Magic Kingdom hub. Hmmmm, what could that be?
Neuschwanstein.jpg

Goofyernmost

The inspiration for Cinderella's Castle was Neuschwanstein Castle which doesn't need or have a show projected on it for people to like it. There seems to be something that is in this photo that is now missing at the Magic Kingdom hub. Hmmmm, what could that be?View attachment 108269
Two things... First if that is what inspired them, they fell a long way away from their inspiration with the exception of the spires. Second, Neuschwanstein Castle is not in a theme park with fireworks and projections on the building (although it does have a better surface for it or projection movies) nor does it have thousands of people per day that want to see it. Castles of that era were actually a fortress designed to keep enemies away and be as hidden as possible, plus when it was built, I truly doubt that those trees were that big. Since it was a residence there was no real need to make it visible.

I'm sure people would like it, either way, but, it wouldn't fill the need of the show, which WDW is completely meant to do.

Otamin

No one is wanting the castle to be obscured, it's just the castle was designed to have trees act as a curtain into the realm of fantasy.

Even if it would be nice, I'm not even proposing trees as big as they were before. Just something (like I posted here) to help ease the horrible sightline from Main Street.

Sonconato

Two things... First if that is what inspired them, they fell a long way away from their inspiration with the exception of the spires. Second, Neuschwanstein Castle is not in a theme park with fireworks and projections on the building (although it does have a better surface for it or projection movies) nor does it have thousands of people per day that want to see it. Castles of that era were actually a fortress designed to keep enemies away and be as hidden as possible, plus when it was built, I truly doubt that those trees were that big. Since it was a residence there was no real need to make it visible.

I'm sure people would like it, either way, but, it wouldn't fill the need of the show, which WDW is completely meant to do.
First, we will agree to disagree because I will never be convinced of your arguments nor you mine. Second, Neuschwanstein Castle WAS the primary inspiration for Cinderella's Castle...so based on your comment, they didn't do so good

First, we will agree to disagree because I will never be convinced of your arguments, nor you mine. Second, Neuschwanstein Castle WAS the primary inspiration for Cinderella's Castle…so based on your comment, they didn't do so good with the design.

JoeCamel

First, we will agree to disagree because I will never be convinced of your arguments nor you mine. Second, Neuschwanstein Castle WAS the primary inspiration for Cinderella's Castle...so based on your comment, they didn't do so good

First, we will agree to disagree because I will never be convinced of your arguments, nor you mine. Second, Neuschwanstein Castle WAS the primary inspiration for Cinderella's Castle…so based on your comment, they didn't do so good with the design.

Not exactly true, you might want to take the castle tour from an expert on the source

http://thefairytaletraveler.com/2015/01/09/cinderellas-castle/

http://www.itats.org/how-did-european-castles-made-their-way-to-walt-disney-world/

8 castles so "primary" only in the minds of the imagineers....

peter11435

Neuschwanstein Castle WAS NOT the primary inspiration for Cinderella Castle. It was one of many real locations used as inspiration but certainly not the primary. Elements were taken from many sites. The chateaux of Chenonceau, Pierrefonds and Moszna Castle among others far more heavily inspired Cinderella Castle than Neuschwantein ever did.

Now Sleeping Beauty castle in Disneyland was primarily inspired by Neuschwantien. A quick glance at the Fantasyland side of the castle shows this well.

sedati

To those who favor a more lush hub I would like to know if I'm the only one then who encountered guests in the past who missed out on whole lands of the park because they didn't see them from the hub (which I would call hub failure, as the true point of the hub is to lay out all the lands to explore.) More than once we ran into guests back in the olden times who thought all of the Magic Kingdom was pretty much just Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. And one time I did meet someone at the now retired Walt Disney Story on Main St who was wondering if Main St was all there was. He'd gone to the end, saw the Castle and turned around.
Certainly maps are always helpful, and some people are beyond help, but I do wonder if a lot of what people see as a "dumbing down," is really just course correcting a park that is really meant to be read and understood by all the travelers of the world and needs to accomplish as much visually as possible.
Just some thoughts, please no tree rage.

lazyboy97o

Entertainment was provided for years without projects and bad shows while there were still trees.

You expect us to believe European armies were using opulent castles for defense in the 1880s? Neuschwanstein very much is a work of fantasy. It has never had anything close to a military purpose.

Last edited:

Sonconato

Neuschwanstein Castle WAS NOT the primary inspiration for Cinderella Castle. It was one of many real locations used as inspiration but certainly not the primary. Elements were taken from many sites. The chateaux of Chenonceau, Pierrefonds and Moszna Castle among others far more heavily inspired Cinderella Castle than Neuschwantein ever did.

Now Sleeping Beauty castle in Disneyland was primarily inspired by Neuschwantien. A quick glance at the Fantasyland side of the castle shows this well.
I agree with you and JoeCamel and certainly don't claim to be an expert on the subject. The point was that the imagineers drew inspiration from Neuschwanstein and as you pointed out...others. The point I was trying to make is that "inspiration" does not mean "duplication". For instance, my husband who is an Architect was explaining to me how Gustave Eiffel drew his inspiration of the Eiffel Tower from the trabeculae in the human femur (thigh bone), but the Eiffel Tower does not look like a bone. He says that this type of inspiration happens often in the built environment but it is not literal. My original issue was the trees...this has gone off topic.

Goofyernmost

Entertainment was provided for years without projects and bad shows while there were still trees.
I'm not going to continue a conversation if you aren't going to even try to see the difference between today's audience and those of years ago that you are so fond of. They didn't have projection shows back in those years either. The reason is simple, people wanted to be able to see the shows clearly and Disney has responded at that same time they expanded the area to have it be more safe and easier to navigate. What is so difficult to believe about that. WDW is a show from beginning to end. It is not a private kingdom that has to be accurate to the last detail. It is a stage and that is the current show scene setting. Enjoy the show!
You expect us to believe European armies were using opulent castles for defense in the 1880s? Neuschwanstein very much is a work of fantasy. It has never had anything close to a military purpose.
I honestly don't expect you to believe anything that goes against your preconceived notions of what you like as opposed to the reality of a Castle like designed for a Disney park. What is the moat for? A pleasant place to paddle a canoe around the building in. Castles originally were designed as defensive buildings to protect the occupants and royalty that lived in them. That is history. What the motivation for building Neuschwanstein was is totally irrelevant and had nothing to do with trees or any other thing other then the purpose of a castle. Army's were not using them as defense, they were a defense against enemy army's to protect the people living in them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom