Test Track - Broken Effect(s)

jayinthe813

Original Poster
So I just got done riding test track and my favorite part of the ride is broken - the double doors that open just before you shoot off for the last test. Right now you just stare into the backlot.

I wonder how long it will be before that is fixed?

Anyone else notice anything off with the ride?

MerlinTheGoat

I think I heard there was supposed to be fog effects in one of the rooms or something, is this correct and has that ever even worked? If so it certainly didn't when I rode it last year, WDW maintenance has a pretty bad reputation with fog effects.

I don't like either version of Test Track. Tried the new version and I don't see it as any sort of substantial or acceptable improvement over the old one. It still feels like an empty warehouse, just with some painted neon walls now. All it does for me is bring back sad memories of the long gone brilliance of World of Motion. It was indeed fun to be free...

invader

I think I heard there was supposed to be fog effects in one of the rooms or something, is this correct and has that ever even worked? If so it certainly didn't when I rode it last year, WDW maintenance has a pretty bad reputation with fog effects.

I don't like either version of Test Track. Tried the new version and I don't see it as any sort of substantial or acceptable improvement over the old one. It still feels like an empty warehouse, just with some painted neon walls now. And it still brings back sad memories of the long gone brilliance of World of Motion. It was indeed fun to be free...
The only fog-like effect I can think of would be from the aerodynamic testing portion of the ride. Takes place in one of the old environmental chambers and isn't actually fog, more of a simulated virtual reality on the screen next to your sim-car. It takes some pointing out if you don't know what you're looking for. And you're right, it doesn't work A LOT of the time. I've ridden TT 2.0 a good dozen or so times since its opening and it probably hasn't work for at least a handful of them. Cool effect when it does work though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only fog-like effect I can think of would be from the aerodynamic testing portion of the ride. .
There is a mister in the room prior to that (the old heat chamber)

It's meant to give a burst of smoke just before each car enters to make the "scanner" light beam appear more of a beam and less of a line on the car. The effect is rather variable.

image.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I don't like either version of Test Track. Tried the new version and I don't see it as any sort of substantial or acceptable improvement over the old one. It still feels like an empty warehouse, just with some painted neon walls now. All it does for me is bring back sad memories of the long gone brilliance of World of Motion. It was indeed fun to be free...

World of Motion was great, and I miss it as well. (As for Test Track, I actually preferred the first version.) Just some wishful thinking here, but I think it would be fun to have both of them situated next to each other--a transition from the origins of transportation (WOM), up to some vehicular advancements of the modern day (TT). (There probably wouldn't be enough space to to build them together, anyway, but I can dream . . . ;) )

MerlinTheGoat

World of Motion was great, and I miss it as well. (As for Test Track, I actually preferred the first version.) Just some wishful thinking here, but I think it would be fun to have both of them situated next to each other--a transition from the origins of transportation (WOM), up to some vehicular advancements of the modern day (TT). (There probably wouldn't be enough space to to build them together, anyway, but I can dream . . . ;) )
I dislike both version of Test Track. Nothing wrong with thrill rides at EPCOT (World Showcase was originally intended to have mountain coasters) or TT's ride system, but its execution just doesn't cut it. They tried to shoehorn it into a building that it just doesn't work with and skimped on the scenes as well. It feels like an empty warehouse. The neon paintjob doesn't help IMO. Replacing an awesome elaborate ride like WoM was bad enough, but TT isn't even good enough on its own merits.

The sad thing is that there was enough space to keep World of Motion AND a get a new thrill ride. A far bigger and better thrill ride than what we got. There's a huge area behind WoM, a cast parking lot that a very small part of TT currently loops around. The space is somewhere around 6-7 times the size of the original WoM building. If they use the area outside the canal, as much as 9 times the size. Though some of the cast parking in that area would be lost, not sure if that's an issue. It could have been a huge ride (inside outside or both).

Sorry to contaminate this thread with long lost hopes and dreams (and regrets).

Last edited:

jayinthe813

Original Poster
They've been like that since mid-July, then.
Also, more than half of the screens that are supposed to show how the guests' create-a-car did at each step of the attraction were displaying nothing.

In this way, Test Track 2 is much better representation of Epcot than Test Track 1 was: full of neglected ideas and empty spaces.

Yup, some of the results screens were showing nothing. IIRC only the green/purple worked.

Maelstrom Troll

For me the massive size and relative emptiness of the ride made it feel like a real testing facility in the first generation of the ride. Now that it Is a dark ride, it doesn't seem to work as well. To me there is too much ambient light and when you see the walls in the distance, it doesn't feel like the vastness of space, the future, or anything meaningful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom