Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

yensidtlaw1969

A rising tide lifts all ships. (A substantial investment in DHS or any WDW park or resort will bring more visitors overall to WDW and at least some to all of the parks, as people visit more than the park with the investment.)

But I do think that investment in the other parks helps disburse the crowd from MK at least a little. The other thing that would help is to go back to advertising the other parks in the commercials or printed materials. Blame the "Disney Parks" campaigns that want to make everything about a fairytale castle, instead of, say, an animal adventure or world of discovery, or even golf and swimming (you know, things people associate with a full resort?).
Right now it's a catch 22 - The non Magic Kingdom parks at WDW don't have enough to do to draw enough people away from the Magic Kingdom. So every time they add something to another park, people will choose also to visit the Magic Kingdom. But, if they don't add to the other parks, the traffic of people will still skew heavily in favor of the Magic Kingdom, which is sufficiently built out for guest satisfaction.

This is why news of aggressive expansion at Hollywood Studios is great -- plodding along adding new attractions every couple years will not counteract this problem, because each new one will also send people to the Magic Kingdom. They need to make a big push where one day we look and all the sudden DHS is comparable to MK in terms of how much there is to do. Then Animal Kingdom and Epcot need that same attention. MK may be hell in the meantime, but they're never going to get over this hurdle unless they build out the other parks, so they might as well do it quickly.

Magic Kingdom has, what, 40+ attractions? Epcot has somewhere in the 20's, Animal Kingdom is close behind, and currently Hollywood Studios has, like, what, 4? And that doesn't even begin to address the quality level of these attractions vs. those at the Magic Kingdom. Not everything at MK is worth doing to every person, but almost anyone can still find a good dozen or so things they want to do. Can the same be said about all the other parks? Hollywood Studios right now doesn't even have a dozen things to do, but I understand it's in a period of transition into something greater.

Even after DHS' big overhaul comes along, the other two parks need a lot of help getting to a level where they're competitive with the amount and variety of attractions being offered at MK. It's not some "Castle Park Pardox" -- the Castle Park just has so much for everyone to enjoy, and the other parks don't match it in the amount of their offerings. Get the other parks to a similar point and I bet you'll see some sort of alleviation in Magic Kingdom's population. People will still want to go, but they'll want to go other places too, and be comfortable staying there all day.

ToTBellHop

A question I cannot reconcile is: If MK is so over capacity in comparison to the other parks, why would WDW add an attraction that will draw in more? I actually like TSI because you can actually get away from the mob.
Hopefully the new attraction will be high capacity. That's what the park needs. More people-eater rides.

Magenta Panther

Well 3-D racist characterizations will win Disney plenty of new fans. They are a product of their time and I think they should still be in circulation, but many parents won't go near some of those movies. So Disney is wise to claim modern interpretations before the competition does.

You know, right after I made that post I thought: "Uh oh, the Red Indians...yeah." And then I remembered that when I bought my DVD of Peter Pan and watched it, I cringed at that part. I had forgotten it. Yeah, you're right, I suppose that if Disney DID re-release the movie in 3D, it'd get a ton of flak about the Indians. And I suppose that if Disney did a 3D re-release of Dumbo (more potentially awesome 3D flying scenes!), it'd get some flak about the crows. All of it undeserved, of course, because no harm or offense was meant in either case. And I think that most people understand that, but there would be groups or individuals that would set up a howl nevertheless. Sigh...

Rodan75

You know, right after I made that post I thought: "Uh oh, the Red Indians...yeah." And then I remembered that when I bought my DVD of Peter Pan and watched it, I cringed at that part. I had forgotten it. Yeah, you're right, I suppose that if Disney DID re-release the movie in 3D, it'd get a ton of flak about the Indians. And I suppose that if Disney did a 3D re-release of Dumbo (more potentially awesome 3D flying scenes!), it'd get some flak about the crows. All of it undeserved, of course, because no harm or offense was meant in either case. And I think that most people understand that, but there would be groups or individuals that would set up a howl nevertheless. Sigh...

I 100% agree. These are works of art that represent their time and should be appreciated as such. I get why Disney is reclaiming and remaking these movies for modern audiences, but no remake is going to re-capture the exact same lightning in a bottle that Walt had in those early days.

bakntime

You know, I'm Italian. And movies and television are full of slang and stereotypes and vulgar names for us pasta lovers. But it doesn't get me upset. Sometimes I think we are just too oversensitive and politically correct for our own good!
I'm Italian, too. I crack up at most Italian stereotypes. What bugs me is when people believe the stereotypes are true. It's like ... are you kidding me? You just assume I have mafia ties? I mean, I do, but you shouldn't assume!

bakntime

Hollywood Studios has, like, what, 4?
Well, it's bad, but you're selling it a bit short. Here's the list of all FP+ "attractions"

Star Tours - The Adventures Continue
The Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Muppet*Vision 3D
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
Voyage of The Little Mermaid
For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage
Fantasmic!

So yeah, it's not too pretty (there's a distinct lack of "rides"), but still, there are six solid rides if you include Muppetvision, which you have to include because it's flippin great.

Star Wars is desperately needed. Two Star Wars e-tickets. Seriously, Disney. Two. Maybe five.

Cesar R M

People need to learn to laugh at themselves.
well, there is a difference in having fun and mocking.. or remarking someone and an insult.

I'm Italian, too. I crack up at most Italian stereotypes. What bugs me is when people believe the stereotypes are true. It's like ... are you kidding me? You just assume I have mafia ties? I mean, I do, but you shouldn't assume!

second.
They expect me to have a flowered moustache, giant hat and sleep in a cactus.

yensidtlaw1969

Well, it's bad, but you're selling it a bit short. Here's the list of all FP+ "attractions"

Star Tours - The Adventures Continue
The Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Muppet*Vision 3D
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
Voyage of The Little Mermaid
For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Beauty and the Beast-Live on Stage
Fantasmic!

So yeah, it's not too pretty (there's a distinct lack of "rides"), but still, there are six solid rides if you include Muppetvision, which you have to include because it's flippin great.

Star Wars is desperately needed. Two Star Wars e-tickets. Seriously, Disney. Two. Maybe five.
Oh yeah, I was kidding when I said "like, 4". I especially love Muppet Vision, and have quite a soft spot for The Great Movie Ride. The handful of rides DHS has are solid, they just need another handful to get the park in fighting shape. Magic Kingdom has more solid attractions than it can hold with two hands.

It sounds like DHS is about to be blessed with another whole handful of attractions - lets hope they live up to what's there already.

Matt_Black

I've noticed they don't cut the crows from the TV broadcasts, of which there have been quite a few this year on ABC Family and Disney Junior, nor do they run any sort of disclaimer.

Wikkler

There's one more racist song in a Disney movie.
Lady-tramp-disneyscreencaps.com-3726.jpg

I don't see anything too bad about the crows, but I feel bad watching "What Makes the Red Man Red?" and "We are Siamese (If You Please)" when watching these films.

jt04

You know, I'm Italian. And movies and television are full of slang and stereotypes and vulgar names for us pasta lovers. But it doesn't get me upset. Sometimes I think we are just too oversensitive and politically correct for our own good!

There is a fine line out there that goes from good natured to cruel very quickly. And some of the stuff done in the past was cruel. Nothing wrong with fixing those mistakes. And a lot right about it.

wdw71fan

You know not all the old films have racist elements, right? Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi...

No, but people can find offense in anything..

Snow White = Mocks Dwarves, laughs at them
Pinocchio = Makes fun of adoptive children, shows that they are potentially outcasts that join a 'bad crowd'
Sleeping Beauty = Witchcraft, Devil worship, etc
Bambi = Anti hunting messages, etc..

To be clear, I don't view ANY of these as legit.. I'm just saying, people will complain about anything.

Cesar R M

No, but people can find offense in anything..

Snow White = Mocks Dwarves, laughs at them
Pinocchio = Makes fun of adoptive children, shows that they are potentially outcasts that join a 'bad crowd'
Sleeping Beauty = Witchcraft, Devil worship, etc
Bambi = Anti hunting messages, etc..

To be clear, I don't view ANY of these as legit.. I'm just saying, people will complain about anything.
since when anti hunting is a bad message?
we're not savages anymore. the current hunting is nothing more than a game to get "high" on adrenaline at the cost of a living creature. (see Cecil)

also, I am offended! :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom