Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

pajammies

This is through Cinemark theaters and yes it is current! We are so pumped and don't know what to see! The good part about this is that the one $5 price is good for you to see all 4 movies that day if you really wanted to!!! So many good movies to choose from idk where to even start! And the upcoming titles for the future dates listed on there are epic as well!!! Not sure if all locations do this? This is in Racine, WI. They do it every couple of months!

stevehousse, I'm not seeing this in Racine. Another poster above is only seeing it in a few cities also.

stevehousse

stevehousse, I'm not seeing this in Racine. Another poster above is only seeing it in a few cities also.
That stinks! They usually do it at the Racine location but it looks like this round of movies isn't going to be there!!! Bummer!!! My wife sent me that and I didn't even realize our theater wasn't included

Rodan75

They wouldn't have to worry so much about that if they got back onto doing theatrical re-releases the way they used to.

I think the CG Age has finally blunted the value of those re-releases. (not starting a which is better or more artistic discussion)

Totally new movies designed with modern global sensibilities are going to be more broadly accepted and attended than the re-releases. Plus then they can sell merchandise tied to both...

prberk

I think the CG Age has finally blunted the value of those re-releases. (not starting a which is better or more artistic discussion)

Totally new movies designed with modern global sensibilities are going to be more broadly accepted and attended than the re-releases. Plus then they can sell merchandise tied to both...

Actually I would think that it is the classic, fair-tale nature of the older Disney films that makes them already "global" in sensibility. For the most part they are all timeless tales already popular or somewhat familiar worldwide. That is what makes the stories transcendent of generations and locations. The stories themselves are timeless. I think Walt Disney knew this when he chose most of them. And the beautiful artistry and striking color that he used to film them helped them to stay relevant as technologies caught up and changed. No, it is not computer animation, and most of the earlier ones were not in widescreen, but the artistry was brilliant, and stands up today against anything a computer ever drew for warmth and beauty. So, there is still universal value to Disney's classics on the big screen.

I just watched "Mary Poppins" in HD from BluRay, with teenagers, and they liked it. We were all awestruck at the gorgeous visuals. Film is by definition "HD" in some ways, and this one was brilliantly restored.

Rodan75

Actually I would think that it is the classic, fair-tale nature of the older Disney films that makes them already "global" in sensibility. For the most part they are all timeless tales already popular or somewhat familiar worldwide. That is what makes the stories transcendent of generations and locations. The stories themselves are timeless. I think Walt Disney knew this when he chose most of them. And the beautiful artistry and striking color that he used to film them helped them to stay relevant as technologies caught up and changed. No, it is not computer animation, and most of the earlier ones were not in widescreen, but the artistry was brilliant, and stands up today against anything a computer ever drew for warmth and beauty. So, there is still universal value to Disney's classics on the big screen.

I just watched "Mary Poppins" in HD from BluRay, with teenagers, and they liked it. We were all awestruck at the gorgeous visuals. Film is by definition "HD" in some ways, and this one was brilliantly restored.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on the artistic merits of the originals. However, films like Dumbo and Peter Pan contain characterizations that are deemed inappropriate. And I think it is just a tougher sell to get international audiences to pay full price for a 20+ year old release regardless of how timeless it may be.

Magenta Panther

I don't disagree with your thoughts on the artistic merits of the originals. However, films like Dumbo and Peter Pan contain characterizations that are deemed inappropriate. And I think it is just a tougher sell to get international audiences to pay full price for a 20+ year old release regardless of how timeless it may be.

Maybe Disney ought to re-release Peter Pan in 3D. No, I'm serious. All those flying scenes in 3D could be amazing. IF Disney took the time to do it right. The Wizard of Oz 3D re-release a couple of years ago looked absolutely amazing. I bet a similar approach to Peter Pan would do gangbusters at the box office.

Cesar R M

Maybe Disney ought to re-release Peter Pan in 3D. No, I'm serious. All those flying scenes in 3D could be amazing. IF Disney took the time to do it right. The Wizard of Oz 3D re-release a couple of years ago looked absolutely amazing. I bet a similar approach to Peter Pan would do gangbusters at the box office.
the 3d gimmick doesnt work on all movies.
I remember when the 3d craze (that avatar spawned), forced many movies (that weren't 3d worthy or filmed in 3d..) to be moved into fake 3d.
They looked awful and noone had any advantage finance wise..

The Empress Lilly

I loved those 3D re-releases of a few years ago! Phantom Menace was awesome, as was Titanic. Plus I got to see them on the big screen again. :)

I finally got some 3D blu-ray copies of Lion King, BatB and LM too. These looked much better than I expected, breathed all new air in them. I regret Disney stopping the Star Wars and Disney classics 3D re-releases. Aladdin would've been great, and the Star Wars prequels!

Matt_Black

the 3d gimmick doesnt work on all movies.
I remember when the 3d craze (that avatar spawned), forced many movies (that weren't 3d worthy or filmed in 3d..) to be moved into fake 3d.
They looked awful and noone had any advantage finance wise..

That's for live-action, though. Apparently, it's easier to retro it for animation, which is why Disney had a bit of success doing it with The Lion King and other films.

doctornick

That's for live-action, though. Apparently, it's easier to retro it for animation, which is why Disney had a bit of success doing it with The Lion King and other films.

Kind of, but then it petered out (IIRC, Little Mermaid was in development when they squashed the idea, but still released it as a 3D Blu Ray). I think they realized that the revenues weren't significant enough to warrant the work to do the 3D conversion or else they'd still be doing it for more movies.

Personally, I think the problem with re-releasing the films in 3D only format is that the target audience is parents bringing their kids and the 3D upcharge is generally a barrier in the theater. Most families are looking for as affordable entertainment as possible, so opting to pay for a 3D movie is a tough sell when cheaper standard format movies are around as an alternative.

Last edited:

Rodan75

Well 3-D racist characterizations will win Disney plenty of new fans. They are a product of their time and I think they should still be in circulation, but many parents won't go near some of those movies. So Disney is wise to claim modern interpretations before the competition does.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well 3-D racist characterizations will win Disney plenty of new fans. They are a product of their time and I think they should still be in circulation, but many parents won't go near some of those movies. So Disney is wise to claim modern interpretations before the competition does.
Yet they'll happily go see Antman that has a token hispanic that acts like the most boilerplate chulo you can find and a token black guy who acts up his role as well. Or Planes, with their over the top mexican wrestler plane character. Or Minions which depicts all british people as having the same underbite and upper teeth. :rolleyes:

People need to stop being so sensitive.

Matt_Black

You know not all the old films have racist elements, right? Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi...

Rodan75

You know not all the old films have racist elements, right? Snow White, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi...

I know...in my original response on the topic, I did highlight that some films like Peter Pan and Dumbo. And in the response I was responding too specifically mentioned a 3-D Peter Pan.

While personally I feel these films are wonderful of examples of Disney at its best, we must also remember that they are very much products of their time and in some instances they contain unfortunate and outdated characterizations.

But again, my broader point, is that Disney is staking out claims on modern interpretations of these stories and characters so that they can continue to profit from them. They wouldn't make $1B on reissuing Alice in Wonderland or $600M off of Sleeping Beauty.

Matt_Black

I know...in my original response on the topic, I did highlight that some films like Peter Pan and Dumbo. And in the response I was responding too specifically mentioned a 3-D Peter Pan.

While personally I feel these films are wonderful of examples of Disney at its best, we must also remember that they are very much products of their time and in some instances they contain unfortunate and outdated characterizations.

But again, my broader point, is that Disney is staking out claims on modern interpretations of these stories and characters so that they can continue to profit from them. They wouldn't make $1B on reissuing Alice in Wonderland or $600M off of Sleeping Beauty.

No, but the cost wouldn't be quite so much either. You can turn a nice profit from simply putting a film back in theaters for a little bit, or at least you used to.

Rodan75

Yet they'll happily go see Antman that has a token hispanic that acts like the most boilerplate chulo you can find and a token black guy who acts up his role as well. Or Planes, with their over the top mexican wrestler plane character. Or Minions which depicts all british people as having the same underbite and upper teeth. :rolleyes:

People need to stop being so sensitive.

While I agree that folks need to stop being overly sensitive. But I doubt we will have Ant-Man laws in the future. Again, I appreciate these movies for what they are. But many folks do not. Staking claim to these properties and characters today with modern interpretations is making Disney a lot of money and ensures they get to claim these characters as 'Theirs' for the next generation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom