Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

WildcatDen

Volcano Bay, spillover from Kong, Twister getting replaced by Fallon/Rock Center, some hotel expansion, a new hotel, a revamp for MSHI, an Avengers E, Nintendo replacing KidZone, JP enhancements, that oft-rumored IOA nighttime show, Fast and Furious replacing Disaster and rumors of something Wicked/Oz... versus

Toy Story Playland, Inside Out replacing Imagination, an announcement for a 2022 opening date of SWL in DHS, and Pandora's first full year :D

I wonder who will win ;)
In total attendance? I am guessing the Mouse.

Steel City Magic

Personally I think as far as permant rides related to an IP that they give it the 'little mermaid treatment'. Wait 10-20 years to see what staying power it has before you move earth. If it's a major box-office hit have all the parades/celebrations you want, but only move earth after 10-15 years and make sure you do it right. Disney has COMPLETELY mismanaged frozen imho.
By my standard we'd be getting a quality lion king dark ride in ak, not a half-a $$ed frozen overlay in epcot, which I think we could all agree would be better.

Last edited:

KikoKea

Personally I think as far as permant rides related to an IP that they hive it the 'little mermaid treatment'. Wait 10-20 years to see what staying power it has before you move earth. If it's a major box-office hit have all the parades/celebrations you want, but only move earth after 10-15 years and make sure you do it right. Disney has COMPLETELY mismanaged frozen imho.
By my standard we'd be getting a quality lion king dark ride in ak, not a half-a $$ed overlay in epcot, which I think we could all agree would be better.

Well, wait a few years, at least!

I'm not thrilled about the Frozen ride in Norway- I'll miss the trolls and oil rig, and have to admit that we are not Frozen fans. But, I'll hold off deciding until I see the new ride. Good thing is that the meet and greet area next door can be used for other characters or activities. It will be interesting to see what they do with other movies coming out in the near future. I hope that Disney doesn't try to milk every hit movie by adding an overlay or wasting space and $ for a current character/movie.

That space between Mexico and Norway could have been used for something really terrific! Instead, it's a meet and greet. Well, let's hope they put in nice, roomy bathrooms so all will not be lost.

OliveMcFly

True, for those that are fine with it. I know Im not one of them but at least with Mexico its still a tour through Mexico (as debauched as they made it lol),, this as far as we know will not even make a mention or ode to Norway. But least the figures will be better like you said.
I agree. It's like putting Jack in Pirates. The whole thing wasn't gutted. Still miss El Rio del Tiempo though.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Universal overlays a dated ride system to include their biggest animated property--YAY Comcast!

Disney overlays a dated ride system to include their biggest animated property--the apparent end of the world.
You forgot the part where the WDW overlay removes the vast majority of an actual country in the WS and replaces it with a fictional one....

And Universal did away with their original theme as well, and to add insult to injury stuck a big obviously fake house in the middle of the entrance and gave us a half-a**ed story and queue. I will be the first to admit that this isn't the greatest idea but when all Universal gets is praise when, in reality, they did something pretty similar recently, I have to question the legitimacy of people's complaints...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And Universal did away with their original theme as well, and to add insult to injury stuck a big obviously fake house in the middle of the entrance and gave us a half-a**ed story and queue. I will be the first to admit that this isn't the greatest idea but when all Universal gets is praise when, in reality, they did something pretty similar recently, I have to question the legitimacy of people's complaints...
I'm not even sure why you're comparing the two, but Universal at least didn't maintain a pretense, such was WDW is with Frozen actually being in Norway....

And by the way, the line is, "A royale with cheese." Not, "grand royale."

lazyboy97o

The entrance is still supposed to be a studio backlot, the sort of place where a fake house would be found.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Universal overlays a dated ride system to include their biggest animated property--YAY Comcast!

Disney overlays a dated ride system to include their biggest animated property--the apparent end of the world.

Despicable Me did not fundamentally alter the intention of the area in which it was placed. A better comparison would have been if Universal had replaced the Cat in the Hat ride with a Despicable Me ride.

captainmoch

Universal replaced an outdated cartoon based ride with their most profitable animated property that is also very similar in theme/target-audience to the original ride. Not that big of a deal. Disney is replacing a pavilion that explores a real country's culture with an entirely fictional country. I can't tell how these are remotely comparable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom