Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

wdwfan757

The question no one here wants to ask: are they wrong?

I was wondering if anyone was going to take it there. I think Disney is underestimating their customers if they think we dont notice the lack of attention to quality (see monorail), cutbacks on scale (see Poly lobby, disco yeti), and lack of innovation in terms of attraction tech.

BUT, I do question the people who rant and rant about expecting and deserving to get a realistic Norway experience from the Epcot pavilion. Disney World isn't cheap to the average guest. To floridians definitely, for the out-of-staters like me who have annual passes it's not too bad, but for a lot of people, the amount they shell out for these vacations is absolutely no less than it would be to spend a week in europe or a week in asia, especially for the sizeable portion of WDW visitors coming from South America or the western half of the US. The person going to disney world is making a conscious decision to take an infantile vacation. To go to a place where it's princesses, castles, dark rides, and cultural familiarity in terms of languages, foods, and mannerisms.

Epcot was "different" from your typical themepark in its heyday, but 8 year olds can find out more about Norway in 5 minutes on an Ipad in 2015 than we could at epcot in 1995. The same applies to Futureworld/Innoventions, except its not just the internet, but the fact that tech companies aren't printing money anymore and are extremely protective of unfinished/unpatented technology and universities arent getting enough funding to support those sort of exhibits anymore. All hail Animal Kingdom!

I love walking around the world showcase, but its asinine to think youre getting anything out of it besides a nice change of a pace from the typical disney world environment. If I want to experience Norway, I'll just skip a disney trip or 2 and go there. Same goes for Italy/Germany/France/Mexico. Morocco/Japan/China are pretty pricey plane tickets from the east coast. I'll have to just settle for Aladdin, Sake, and acrobats.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
You consider yourself an idiot?

I think everyone, including myself, is an 'idiot' in some regard. Though I wouldn't call it being an 'idiot' - more like 'inexperienced', 'novice', 'unaware'...

Not everyone knows what Epcot used to be. Not everyone cares. Doesn't make the person a generalized idiot because he/she is not well versed in Epcot history. It just means that they won't see the issue with Frozen being placed in Maelstrom.

I have a feeling Disney knows this and I have an even greater feeling that people in WDI actually believe that Frozen can go into Maelstrom, because they themselves don't understand Epcot. All they see are profit margins increasing for a park that has been flat the last few years (and would be declining if not for special events) They see an opportunity to reel in the insane popularity of a film in the cheapest way possible, and they know the guests will visit it anyway regardless of whether or not it fits in Epcot.

So to answer the question: Yes, we are all idiots.

lazyboy97o

I think everyone, including myself, is an 'idiot' in some regard. Though I wouldn't call it being an 'idiot' - more like 'inexperienced', 'novice', 'unaware'...

Not everyone knows what Epcot used to be. Not everyone cares. Doesn't make the person a generalized idiot because he/she is not well versed in Epcot history. It just means that they won't see the issue with Frozen being placed in Maelstrom.

I have a feeling Disney knows this and I have an even greater feeling that people in WDI actually believe that Frozen can go into Maelstrom, because they themselves don't understand Epcot. All they see are profit margins increasing for a park that has been flat the last few years (and would be declining if not for special events) They see an opportunity to reel in the insane popularity of a film in the cheapest way possible, and they know the guests will visit it anyway regardless of whether or not it fits in Epcot.

So to answer the question: Yes, we are all idiots.
Ignorance is not at all the same as idiocy. By the very notion and nature of theme, the audience cannot be idiots. The theme park does not work if people do not widely respond to theme. there are other easier and cheaper avenues to experience fixed amusements and known brands.

spacemt354

Chili's
Ignorance is not at all the same as idiocy. By the very notion and nature of theme, the audience cannot be idiots. The theme park does not work if people do not widely respond to theme. there are other easier and cheaper avenues to experience fixed amusements and known brands.
I'm not seeing your point.

Bocabear

25 years ago would anyone ever even imagine that people would stand in line for three hours to see characters? That was unheard of then... Epcot was about experiences...all the theme parks were...if you met a character, then that was a nice icing on the cake. Unfortunately it seems like Disney can now have a successful park with limited attractions as long as we have Princess Hug Zones... Why bother ever doing anything truly creative or ground breaking again when you can make a fortune with character costumes and a minimum wage employee. That is the real problem...Disney marketing has been wildly successful in lowering everyone's expectations...As long as the public keeps coming and paying, they will do as little as possible.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Look at Frozen in TDL and then Frozen in WS, The TDL version is a true E ticket attraction with capacity to match and it will probably open BEFORE the cheap redo of a Maelstrom.

Unfortutely Frozen which deserves a FAR better ride in FL than it's getting is just another example of WDW doing the absolute minimum (Cardboard Olaf on a stick anyone)
I think maybe I missed the Frozen in TDL thing. Late last year I thought there was a rumor that they would be adding Frozen to Tokyo Disney Sea as part of a 10 year plan, but there weren't really any details. Is it a Frozen ride or a whole land? Does someone have a link to the plans for the ride?

Mike S

Here's a fun topic idea: what kind of tribute to Maelstrom do you think they should have on the ride?
A set of signs to the right or left as you head backwards that, when read together, say "Disappear, disappear, back, back, over the falls." Or maybe one of the old water troll AA's comes back and when you go by he says "soon, soon........ soon we attack and take back our home."

The first is way more likely.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A set of signs to the right or left as you head backwards that, when read together, say "Disappear, disappear, back, back, over the falls." Or maybe one of the old water troll AA's comes back and when you go by he says "soon, soon........ soon we attack and take back our home."

The first is way more likely.
I'd like to be there the day they try to take their home back...a bunch of trolls, armed with flamethrowers. Now that would be a ride experience.

ThemeParkTraveller

I think maybe I missed the Frozen in TDL thing. Late last year I thought there was a rumor that they would be adding Frozen to Tokyo Disney Sea as part of a 10 year plan, but there weren't really any details. Is it a Frozen ride or a whole land? Does someone have a link to the plans for the ride?

OLC have not officially announced the project yet, but @WDW1974 has revealed some exciting tidbits about the plans. It will indeed be a whole land, and it will be going in TDS and not TDL. The highlight will be a mega E-ticket (hinted to be using trackless tech) that will cost over $400 million. The plans also included an indoor restaurant with auroras overhead, as well as a smaller flat ride of a yet unspecified type. No estimated date of completion yet but possibly sometime in 2018 or later depending on when OLC breaks ground.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OLC have not officially announced the project yet, but @WDW1974 has revealed some exciting tidbits about the plans. It will indeed be a whole land, and it will be going in TDS and not TDL. The highlight will be a mega E-ticket (hinted to be using trackless tech) that will cost over $400 million. The plans also included an indoor restaurant with auroras overhead, as well as a smaller flat ride of a yet unspecified type. No estimated date of completion yet but possibly sometime in 2018 or later depending on when OLC breaks ground.
Thanks. I remember reading that a few months back. I just misunderstood the other post. When he talked about the capacity of the ride and comparing it to the ride being built in EPCOT I thought I missed some leaked plans or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom