Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

RSoxNo1

Really??? - This is from the place that gave us cardboard Olaf on a stick, Don't know what I'm expecting but I don't expect amazing. I do expect them to optimize capacity over immersive environment, ie shorter track higher ride speed, quick loading.
Olaf on a stick was one component of an event that was pulled together in two weeks. That event included a stage show that has become a permanent fixture in the park and is among the most popular things on property. It included a fireworks show that was excellent, and a mediocre at best motorcade. That's like saying that the Illuminations upgrades are going to suck because the masks at the Kidcot fun stops are cheap.

They're spending 18 months to re-do the attraction. I'm expecting Little Mermaid/Mine Train quality. I think the ride itself will be an upgrade from Maelstrom (which admittedly was very primitive), and to most guests will be a tremendous success. Having said all that, I hate the fit in World Showcase.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Olaf on a stick was one component of an event that was pulled together in two weeks. That event included a stage show that has become a permanent fixture in the park and is among the most popular things on property. It included a fireworks show that was excellent, and a mediocre at best motorcade. That's like saying that the Illuminations upgrades are going to suck because the masks at the Kidcot fun stops are cheap.

They're spending 18 months to re-do the attraction. I'm expecting Little Mermaid/Mine Train quality. I think the ride itself will be an upgrade from Maelstrom (which admittedly was very primitive), and to most guests will be a tremendous success. Having said all that, I hate the fit in World Showcase.

Ooh a C ticket ride which will plug up WS with the immense lines of rubes waiting for anything Frozen flavored...

lazyboy97o

I see the multiple issues from a purist's perspective, and it's horrible. (All reasons have been previously mentioned.)

From a business standpoint, it's smart. It's capitalizing on a very popular franchise without having to expand. I would expect Disney to re-imagineer the queue to accommodate the lines. What DLP has accomplished with its queues, in regards to using space, demonstrates the company can handle this.
Viewing customers as stupid is never a good business decision.

Trouble is ALL those people who did DLP are gone from WDI these days via Iger's purges of creative and engineering talent, Most of them are now working for UNI...
Tom Morris is still with Walt Disney Imagineering.

wdwfan757

Hold on a second...

The space is too small/the ride is too short for a ride showcasing another disney princess movie, but it was sufficient for a ride embodying the spirit and culture of Norway?

Maybe Disney was right. Even the most ardent protectors of WS think Frozen deserves more than Norway.

bhg469

Hold on a second...

The space is too small/the ride is too short for a ride showcasing another disney princess movie, but it was sufficient for a ride embodying the spirit and culture of Norway?

Maybe Disney was right. Even the most ardent protectors of WS think Frozen deserves more than Norway.
The ride combined with the movie after was a short tribute to the country. And again, it's not just norway. It's Norway and a sizeable expansion pad used solely for a meet and greet. I'm a WS defender and I don't believe frozen is getting what it needs, just in the absolute wrong space.

lazyboy97o

Let's be honest for a moment- if Frozen didn't happen, does anyone honestly believe that the expansion pad would get used at all in the next few years?
So what?

While that would be insulting to you and me, Disney apparently thinks this is a good idea by giving what they think their prime demographic wants; and they've probably weighed out the risks vs. advantages.
And Disney thinks the prime demographic of theme parks is an infantilized idiot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
While that would be insulting to you and me, Disney apparently thinks this is a good idea by giving what they think their prime demographic wants; and they've probably weighed out the risks vs. advantages.

Look at Frozen in TDL and then Frozen in WS, The TDL version is a true E ticket attraction with capacity to match and it will probably open BEFORE the cheap redo of a Maelstrom.

Unfortutely Frozen which deserves a FAR better ride in FL than it's getting is just another example of WDW doing the absolute minimum (Cardboard Olaf on a stick anyone)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Oh it's a definite must do.
If Monstrocity (the climbing structure outside) didn't already sell you, here's a single sign inside the building that gives you a sense of what sorta place you're in for.

tumblr_mrale5uEPf1qg99r2o1_1280.jpg

It's part funhouse, part aquarium, part art and architecture museum, and part Cabinet of Curiosities.

We loved it when my children were small enough, and it is close to Ozzy's restaurant (or at least it used to be.)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Politicians would care because those are jobs that could be going to Americans. Disney had changes implemented by the government to support World Showcase and those changes are no longer applicable to the Norway Pavilion, or even all of World Showcase according to some.

Politicians care about donors, lobbyists and voters. For the most part low income, and Disney does not pay front line cast members well at all, don't vote so they won't care unless you are talking about thousands of jobs.

Mike S

Look at Frozen in TDL and then Frozen in WS, The TDL version is a true E ticket attraction with capacity to match and it will probably open BEFORE the cheap redo of a Maelstrom.

Unfortutely Frozen which deserves a FAR better ride in FL than it's getting is just another example of WDW doing the absolute minimum (Cardboard Olaf on a stick anyone)
The TDS Frozen area isn't supposed to open till 2018 if I remember the rumor correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom