A Spirited Perfect Ten

phillip sugarman

@WDW1974 Is Star Wars Land for Disneyland going to be very similar to what they are planning to build for Hollywood Studies or whatever the new name is going to be or are they planning for two very different experiences at both parks?

Next Big Thing

You may have noticed that permits were filed today for work (i.e NEWS) that I broke on this very site about a year ago now.
Actually no, i'm not nor does it look like anytime soon will I become a "faux one percenter". So I have to work at least 8 hours a day this week, in the busiest section of one of the busiest theme parks in the world. I spend so much time at WDW working that it's hard to keep up with the goings on as I have little down time.

So what exactly was this permit for?

Cesar R M

There's a rumor going around that a Frozen/Elsa tower will replace ToT at DHS. Its not legit at all, considering the current media Icon of that park is Tot.
cantthinkanymoreimages.jpg

I will have nightmares tonight.. thank you dave...

Cesar R M

Actually no, i'm not nor does it look like anytime soon will I become a "faux one percenter". So I have to work at least 8 hours a day this week, in the busiest section of one of the busiest theme parks in the world. I spend so much time at WDW working that it's hard to keep up with the goings on as I have little down time.

So what exactly was this permit for?
you're a current active CM?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry, I don't mean OLC gets less for their money compared to other Disney parks, I meant that WDI as a whole produces less for the obscene amounts of money their attractions cost these days.

100+ million dollars can't even seem to buy a D-ticket with enough capacity anymore.

I misunderstood sorry. And WDI does seem to be the department where TWDC hides their losses and 'compensates' with vastly inflated prices.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Of course not. Disney wants this open ASAP. HKDL wound up opening a good 6-8 months early (cutting 60% off the planning menu helped, no doubt).

From everything I have heard (both here and in China), the Central Government flat out never wavered on not allowing a Disney Channel. They don't want that type of penetration by an American propaganda factory would be the best way of putting it. They certainly don't care if people are eating KFC or Papa John's (soooo good in China!) or drinking Starbucks. Having Disney programming in people's homes 24/7 is another matter entirely.

Oh, and see you did hit on a key point: Sumner is beloved over there (I'm guessing his cousin, the censored one, is liked plenty as well!) They love American characters (likely why I've been successful over there). They value business acumen, but they also value personality. Michael Eisner was very well-liked as well there (and still clearly is as seen by his VIP tour of SDL!) ... Bob has no discernible personality. He's a robot ... and, no, that doesn't play well. Tom Staggs is very much the same. believe it or not, they like Jay Rasulo BY FAR the best of the high level Disney execs they have dealt with because he can joke, he can be crass (actually he is!), he comes off as real. I'm really not sure the deal, as bad as it is, would have happened without JR.

Interesting that matches with my experience in China as well the bland polished 'corporate' types are not liked, The more 'colorful' types seem to get along much better with our hosts. We've got a few crazy Dutchmen on our team and our hosts love those guys.

BrianLo

I was debating whether to respond to this or not (some folks here believe I have to respond to any/every thing they place out there or even when they tag me, I don't).

I don't enjoy echo chambers. That's why I get very ****ed when there isn't news and people use this thread as an anything goes place to talk. I believe we have a Chit Chat forum and the PML members have that. I don't start threads like this so they can fall apart when I disappear for a week or there is nothing newsworthy.

I certainly hope you don't think I bully people because I hate that carp and don't. Apparently, you missed the ganging up on me (by my biggest fans) because I had a tech glitch and wondered if it was normal or whether someone had accessed my devices ... yeah, I was the bully there.

As to the other things you've raised, all I can say is you know what you're going to get in my threads and I won't apologize for that. If people don't like hearing what I don't like and why, then they don't have to read or post here. Take a look at page views for my threads if you believe most people feel that way. I don't watch MTV or CBS crime procedurals because I know what I'm going to get. Only a crazy person would spend time reading a thread that they don't enjoy or get anything out of.

I know the topics and the NEWS (because when it is put out, it is that, it isn't guessing or taking 10% fact and crafting an elaborate -- WDI-like -- back story for the tale, as other online bloggers do) I tend to put out are things you can't get elsewhere.

With that, can we all agree that water is wet and move on?

Thanks, not intending to call anyone out specifically. I agree there is always 'bullying' in many forms, whether intentional or not.

I appreciate the discussion regardless, hence why so many are here.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Of course not. Disney wants this open ASAP. HKDL wound up opening a good 6-8 months early (cutting 60% off the planning menu helped, no doubt).

From everything I have heard (both here and in China), the Central Government flat out never wavered on not allowing a Disney Channel. They don't want that type of penetration by an American propaganda factory would be the best way of putting it. They certainly don't care if people are eating KFC or Papa John's (soooo good in China!) or drinking Starbucks. Having Disney programming in people's homes 24/7 is another matter entirely.

Oh, and see you did hit on a key point: Sumner is beloved over there (I'm guessing his cousin, the censored one, is liked plenty as well!) They love American characters (likely why I've been successful over there). They value business acumen, but they also value personality. Michael Eisner was very well-liked as well there (and still clearly is as seen by his VIP tour of SDL!) ... Bob has no discernible personality. He's a robot ... and, no, that doesn't play well. Tom Staggs is very much the same. believe it or not, they like Jay Rasulo BY FAR the best of the high level Disney execs they have dealt with because he can joke, he can be crass (actually he is!), he comes off as real. I'm really not sure the deal, as bad as it is, would have happened without JR.

I will excerpt my boss from work on the subject of Disney in China (as she is from the mainland and her family is still there). She said everyone knows Mickey Mouse and the big characters but not everything Disney has to offer. She said people will embrace SDL but what will be hard is overcrowding over the holiday weeks in May and October. Everyone gets holiday at the same time and apparently this is an issue at HKDL as well.

As for the Disney Channel, she also said she doubted it would ever come because the propaganda department of the government wouldn't allow American culture. She made it clear the Chinese people love our culture and the U.S. is highly regarded but it doesn't matter because that's not how things work there. The Chinese government simply doesn't want TWDC to have an avenue to push their content as they wish.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I will excerpt my boss from work on the subject of Disney in China (as she is from the mainland and her family is still there). She said everyone knows Mickey Mouse and the big characters but not everything Disney has to offer. She said people will embrace SDL but what will be hard is overcrowding over the holiday weeks in May and October. Everyone gets holiday at the same time and apparently this is an issue at HKDL as well.

As for the Disney Channel, she also said she doubted it would ever come because the propaganda department of the government wouldn't allow American culture. She made it clear the Chinese people love our culture and the U.S. is highly regarded but it doesn't matter because that's not how things work there. The Chinese government simply doesn't want TWDC to have an avenue to push their content as they wish.
I've had similar conversations with several co-workers who are Chinese citizens living/working in America.

FigmentJedi

There's a rumor going around that a Frozen/Elsa tower will replace ToT at DHS. Its not legit at all, considering the current media Icon of that park is Tot.

jesus christ in heaven

people will believe ANYTHING

It was started by a Tumblr that's basically set out to be a Disney-specific Onion, though its very focused on "Frozen is overexposed" jokes.

http://disneynewsnet.tumblr.com/post/112360739902/tower-of-terror-to-be-removed-replaced-with
Tower of Terror to be Removed, Replaced With Elsa’s Ice Castle
Disney announced earlier today that the once-beloved attraction will be demolished and replaced by Elsa’s Ice Castle, featured in the popular movie, Frozen.

Disney CEO Bob Iger commented, “I just wanna be rad and hip with the times, coolio?”

Demolition is expected to begin later this year.

JediMasterMatt

Maybe we need to look at WDW as a resort as one giant park and not magic kingdom and 3 other parks.

No. That's the kind of thinking that got WDW into the shape it is in.

EPCOT, for example, needs to be treated as its own entity as if every Guest was only visiting that park, that day.

I most definitely agree with Spirit on this point. The One Disney mindset I feel does treat both coasts and 1 + 1 = 2 when it comes to projects and planning. WDW is treated as 1 resort and DLR is treated as another and very little thought is put into what the unique needs of each resort are when it comes to funding. Growth for each is managed as the resort as a whole and not the sum of all its parts.

DLR's budget of time, resources, and money goes a lot further when its "1" is much smaller than WDW's "1". DLR has 2 gates, 3 hotels, and 1 shopping/entertainment district (6 total by my math) compared to WDW's 4 gates, 2 water parks, 28 resorts, and 1 entertainment/shopping district (35 total).

I'm not suggesting that both resorts get the same budget; but, it's the same mindset for management that has been governing the decisions that Burbank has been making. They see any project going into the property as benefiting the whole. This mindset is what has allowed the individual needs of each park to be neglected.

The real issue for all of us fans is that there really isn't an issue when you are perched up in the clouds looking down at WDW with this mindset. Gates are still spinning. It's only when you get down in the trenches can you see what this neglect is causing.

DHS's needs won't be resolved by expansion at AK. AK's needs won't be resolved by On Frozen Pond in EPCOT. EPCOT's needs won't be addressed by a Marvel store at DTD. MK is as MK does.

While some of what's in the works will help each park with their own unique problems (like Pandora "the land not the premium mall kiosk on Main St. USA), there's still signs of Burbank not getting it. Pumping more people through TSMM and Soarin' simply compounds the problem of guests in those parks asking "what do we do next?" and more often than not, that means heading to MK.

WDW viewed from the 10,000 ft level isn't the problem.

WDW when you are onsite and in the parks is. Fix DHS, AK, and figure out what you want to do with EPCOT and things would be better. The problem is getting the budgets to do all of that when 1+1=2 in Burbank.

lazyboy97o

No. That's the kind of thinking that got WDW into the shape it is in.

EPCOT, for example, needs to be treated as its own entity as if every Guest was only visiting that park, that day.
Actually, you are wrong on this one. It is an inverse relationship. When Walt Disney World was viewed as one large project and performance (profitability) was mostly judged at that level then there was the room for things to be small and unique. It was the shift to every component being its own that killed the uniqueness, because everything had to justify itself and the best to ensure continued existence was to just follow what performed the best. The best selling food went everywhere. The best selling merchandise went everywhere. The most popular characters went everywhere. By being viewed alone EPCOT Center has to meet top mentioned desires regardless of whether or not they are filled elsewhere.

http://variety.com/2015/voices/opin...ng-disney-in-the-fairy-tale-space-1201459276/

The quote that really nails the broken mentality Disney is approaching everything with:
"And Disney production chief Sean Bailey stresses that he’ll continue to foster two or three movies that he (unfortunately) calls “brand deposits” — lower-budget pictures that will hopefully embellish the Disney name, and may create a new cycle of sequels."

Spirit has been arguing truth for a long time. Disney doesn't care about providing new and exciting stories. They continue to focus on branding as the main objective.

tribbleorlfl

I have been reluctant to post these last two link for fear of a flame war breaking out given the very sensitive subject matter. NPR's Fresh Air had an excellent episode on the treatment of Orcas at SeaWorld. Veteran Journalist Dave Davies, Terry Gross' DH if you will, interviewed former SeaWorld trainer John Hargrove, who appeared in the documentary "Blackfish" and has written a book about Ocras in captivity. While Hargrove is firmly against SeaWorld keeping Orcas in captivity, he doesn't come off as some raging a-hole from PETA, rather an individual with a deep knowledge and first hand experience base with these creatures. His conclusion is that present, he was not asked about the announced expansion to the Killer Whale tanks, methods of keeping Orcas in captivity fail to account for their established behavioral needs like children living with their mothers for the duration of the mom's remaining lifespan. Particularly appalling are allegations SeaWorld is forcing female Ocras to breed far younger than they would in the wild. Seeing that NPR is one of our last bastions of journalism, two senior individuals in charge of the Orca's care were interviewed as well to provide greater context.
http://www.npr.org/2015/03/23/39473...hare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

These interviews mark a key turning point in how SeaWorld addresses mistreatment of the Orcas at its parks, which Soup and Salad Sandra has covered this week in the Orlando Sentinel.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-repairing-brand-20150323-story.html

While I like NPR and Fresh Air, I would hardly call them an unbiased, "last bastion of journalism." They often will only present stories that support a particular narrative. If they present an alternative perspective, it's often a cursory and unbalanced exercise that leaves it clear to the listener what the "truth" is. (I'm thinking of the unrest in Furgeson, MO as a particular example).

As such, I heard the program last night and came off with the feeling the producers wanted to push Mr. Hargrove's book and the anti-SW position and only included the SW officials to provide the appearance of balance.

Hargrove has a history of inconsistent statements (The Real John Hargrove) and his media blitz and the excerpts from his book I have read all smack of an axe to grind towards SW rather than concern for the orcas. Or a desire to personally capitalize on the current negative perception of SW. Note, many former trainers have directly contradicted one of the main points he makes in the book (that SW directed trainers to withhold food to modify poor behavior and punish misperformance), a point that he himself dismissed 2 years ago. (The Truth Behind Blackfish).
Looks like I was right, the other shoe has dropped. It's merely a coincidence the lawyer filing this class action lawsuit against SW is also Hargrove's lawyer, right? The question is, is the book to draw attention to the suit, or the other way around?

Federal Lawsuit against SW

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually, you are wrong on this one. It is an inverse relationship. When Walt Disney World was viewed as one large project and performance (profitability) was mostly judged at that level then there was the room for things to be small and unique. It was the shift to every component being its own that killed the uniqueness, because everything had to justify itself and the best to ensure continued existence was to just follow what performed the best. The best selling food went everywhere. The best selling merchandise went everywhere. The most popular characters went everywhere. By being viewed alone EPCOT Center has to meet top mentioned desires regardless of whether or not they are filled elsewhere.

Yes it's the pitting of the business units against each other which has led to the degradation of the WDW experience when it was operated as a single entity and the whole operations P/L was judged you had areas which were insanely profitable and others which were loss leaders.

This made for a great overall experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom