A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

Premium Member
As I am enjoying and visiting the park again this week I realized the real difference between WDW and DL. wDw is so much more then just the parks it is a resort so the fact parks are half day or full day really does not matter as most thst go are here for multiple days. Now people will disagree with this but we come every year for 10 days usually with friends for 7 of them. We enjoy the pools we dine we golf we treat it as a resort.

I love the parks and want them expanded but the fact remains when I go to DL I go for one day like many locals that use that park. As it is really a local park not a resort week long trip.

WDW sure has it locals that use it but the majority of this town is resort town. All of orlando really is and that is why disney is not making every park day and a half parks as they want people to enjoy other things to.

It is not all about the parks the resort has so much more to offer.

Yes they need new attractions open to keep them fresh but maybe our thought process needs to change some and realize Hollywood studios is ment to be a half day park.

Maybe we need to look at WDW as a resort as one giant park and not magic kingdom and 3 other parks.

lazyboy97o

Looking at the latest progress with Harry Potter land at Universal Studios Hollywood, you can tell who is clearly committed to building attractions while WDW is dragging their feet on a new attraction "couch cough" Avatar Land. And they said that the land is a year away from being done, I think they can get it done by the holidays.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood is hardly a shining example of Universal moving at a brisk pace.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just skimmed over this SDL/Wall St. conversation and might add some insight/color. Wall St sees TWDC as a theme parks and cable channel company. Wall St loves the cable and broadcast channels more than the parks because they are less capital intensive and thus have a consistently higher profit margin. As @ParentsOf4 has pointed out, P&R's record low investments in Capex as a percentage of revenue is an attempt to placate investors who don't like how much money P&R needs. This is one of the main reasons why Disney considered selling P&R so they wouldn't be in such a capital intensive industry which is very dependent on the health of the economy and oil prices.

I cannot understate how much the street loves the media networks, ESPN in particular. Despite increasing, but clearly laid out, programming costs, Wall St loves how Disney can suck $5.54 from 94 million U.S. households for ESPN every month. The Disney Channel is no slouch either with hundreds of millions of subscribers around the world. As I have stated in the past, Wall St wants Disney to have more pay-TV channels around the world, especially in growth markets like China. One of Bob's biggest failures as CEO has been his inability to launch the Disney Channel in China. A Chinese Disney Channel would have been an excellent means to get the public interested in the BRAND and offer a means to educate them on what a Disney theme park is. If you're Wall St, you want to know why a risky, capital intensive theme park was prioritized over a profitable cable channel on the mainland.

This is a long way of saying Bob has prioritized having his name on an opening day dedication plaque over building a strong presence in China, one that is not just in name only.

And again, that surely seems to be a key difference between The Weatherman and the guy he replaced.

Plaques are well and good. And China has a huge (in numbers, not percentage of people) middle class. But it is also a vast nation. The Disney Channel and films are how you introduce your BRAND to people and get them to understand, appreciate and, hopefully, love it. Assuming SDL attracts 12 million next year (my prediction right now and you can be sure those numbers will be played with beyond all belief), how much of China is learning what Disney is? Not what a Disney theme park is so much as what everything from Mickey Mouse to Cinderella to Buzz Lightyear to Olaf is ...

No, it's not the right way to enter China. But Bob had to show up Michael, so he closed on a bad deal.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agreed. As a WDW fan I want the park to come in just on target. A complete failure and it hurts future investment. Too successful and they will continue to focus on foreign investment over the domestic parks.

The photo itself has no bearing on whether the park is successful or not. It's just odd and gives me some concern that maybe there really are some problems there. It could also mean nothing.

C'mon, you really think you (or anyone) can make an intelligent and reasoned explanation for why no pics have been released?

I'm sorry if that is terse. But I have experience working and living in China. I only know one other person on this forum who can say the same, although there could be a few others. The only reason Disney hasn't released a photo is because their 'partners' won't let them.

Do you expect them to say that? Or put out a press release? Again, media won't ask about it because they want access (same reason bloggers/Lifestylers know to behave themselves)

What does it mean? It means that Disney is going to be in a very subordinate role over there and it means that much of what Bob Iger spews stateside simply isn't true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom