A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Mermaid. But we lost 2KLUTS. So the net gain really is Zero.

Edit: No matter how many people Celebration Place hires with doctorates in Twitter, there are plenty with very long memories that are more than willing to put their actions into the proper context.

2KLUTS went away in 1994. Took ten years for the attraction to be removed and the land to even be rehabbed for "future expansion." (2004/5). We also lost the Diamond Horseshoe Review Show. (Minus two). Mike Fink's Keel Boats (Minus three). Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Minus Four). The Skyway (Minus five).

Flash forward to present time. We add Mermaid. (net minus 4). We take away SWSA. Replace it with 7DMT. Still at Minus 4. We take the Belle M&G and move it from Storytime with Belle to the Enchanted tales with Belle. Technically an experience rather than an attraction but still. It was replaced by a Merida M&G so thats a gain of one there so we're at a net of minus three attractions since 1994. Everything else that is new (Philharmagic, Stitch, MILF, Buzz) are all replacements of existing attractions or utilizing existing space.

None of them what I would consider an "E Ticket."

7DMT is solid C ticket - D ticket at BEST if you are a optimist as it's not much more of an experience than the Great Goofini, What's sad is it could have been an E-ticket.

TalkingHead

The thing is, even without a true E-ticket in recent memory, MK is a complete park.

The other three need too much work to focus on MK again soon. They aren't, in my opinion, worth the admission cost of a middle-of-the-road Cedar Fair Park.

True, but by 2025 it'll be a completely stale park if it doesn't have a major addition between now and then.

Funmeister

To be fair, WDI did go back and theme the part of the backside that is visible from the parking lot to look like a village carved into the mountain. This shows they do care about the details, especially considering the majority of guests couldn't care less about seeing part of the show building before entering the park (and from a parking lot no less). In any case, I'm not sure it is fair to criticize an attraction based on how it looks outside the confines of the park. Everest looks stunning inside AK, and I think that's what matters most.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3099/2678836074_8a12e93e32.jpg

I do agree Splash Mountain is a better attraction than Everest, but I wouldn't use the unfinished show building of Everest as an argument for it being better. If you look backstage in Frontierland, you can see the backside of it is also unfinished like most attractions.

http://www.disneypix.com/MagicKingdom/Adventureland/2004c/Exclusive/ALe1104-01.jpg

This would be a different argument if the unthemed show building was visible to guests inside the park, like Forbidden Journey at IoA (the white building is still visible despite their attempts to paint most of the in-park portion).

No not the same. The picture you posted of Splash could ONLY be seen from backstage. Even though the picture you posted of EE was also a backstage picture you could see it from the parking lot from a guest area. Not a fair comparison at all. Sorry.

TalkingHead

What's even crazier is that if the Star Wars plans are being delayed again as rumored, it will be 25 years since DL had a new e-ticket too. The 2 flagship domestic parks will have gone a quarter of a century with no new E-tickets.

Is that based on the Nemo Subs or IJA being the last E?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is that based on the Nemo Subs or IJA being the last E?
I was counting Splash in 1992 and Indy in 1995 since the subs were technically a re-theme and refurb of an existing ride. If we don't get anything Star Wars at DL until after 2020 that's 25 years for DL and who knows how much longer after that for MK in Florida.

Tony Perkis

From now on, I'm referring to 20K as 2SLUTS and claiming a typo.
55222932.jpg

asianway

Mermaid. But we lost 2KLUTS. So the net gain really is Zero.

Edit: No matter how many people Celebration Place hires with doctorates in Twitter, there are plenty with very long memories that are more than willing to put their actions into the proper context.

2KLUTS went away in 1994. Took ten years for the attraction to be removed and the land to even be rehabbed for "future expansion." (2004/5). We also lost the Diamond Horseshoe Review Show. (Minus two). Mike Fink's Keel Boats (Minus three). Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Minus Four). The Skyway (Minus five).

Flash forward to present time. We add Mermaid. (net minus 4). We take away SWSA. Replace it with 7DMT. Still at Minus 4. We take the Belle M&G and move it from Storytime with Belle to the Enchanted tales with Belle. Technically an experience rather than an attraction but still. It was replaced by a Merida M&G so thats a gain of one there so we're at a net of minus three attractions since 1994. Everything else that is new (Philharmagic, Stitch, MILF, Buzz) are all replacements of existing attractions or utilizing existing space.

None of them what I would consider an "E Ticket."
We also lost the Mickeys Starland Theatre & the Galaxy Palace Theatre

BrianLo

For a park that 'Gets Less' from WDI - why do their attractions blow away anything seen in the US parks...

Sorry, I don't mean OLC gets less for their money compared to other Disney parks, I meant that WDI as a whole produces less for the obscene amounts of money their attractions cost these days.

100+ million dollars can't even seem to buy a D-ticket with enough capacity anymore.

PhotoDave219

The Magic Kingdom needs capacity in conjunction with the additions to the other parks. People aren't going to spend less time in MK when the additions come down the pipeline. The Magic Kingdom doesn't get skipped by tourists. New Fantasyland was originally sold as a capacity increase but it increased attendance as well, as such, the park is still in need of a capacity boost.

It has a capacity of 90k+.

BrianLo

People aren't going to spend less time in MK when the additions come down the pipeline. The Magic Kingdom doesn't get skipped by tourists.

Maybe not... but it will finally convince people to not automatically spend three of their seven day ticket in MK. Or worse, 2-3 of their 3-4 day ticket.

Purely anecdotally, but I do know a few of those tourists that already don't visit MK, my parents being one of them. They haven't stepped foot in MK since 1993, despite a visit to Epcot/AK in 2006 and Epcot in 2012 (I also skipped 2012). I'd like to say they are just waiting for a new E-ticket. :D

Also, plenty of conference goers, especially those who may have one day to spend, often skip MK for Epcot.

It's by far not the majority, they do exist, but definitely not the ones with kids in tow...

Those numbers will increase if the other parks are actually made as compelling as MK, and there is no reason they can't be made that way!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe not... but it will finally convince people to not automatically spend three of their seven day ticket in MK. Or worse, 2-3 of their 3-4 day ticket.

Purely anecdotally, but I do know a few of those tourists that already don't visit MK, my parents being one of them. They haven't stepped foot in MK since 1993, despite a visit to Epcot/AK in 2006 and Epcot in 2012 (I also skipped 2012). I'd like to say they are just waiting for a new E-ticket. :D

Also, plenty of conference goers, especially those who may have one day to spend, often skip MK for Epcot.

It's by far not the majority, they do exist, but definitely not the ones with kids in tow...

Those numbers will increase if the other parks are actually made as compelling as MK, and there is no reason they can't be made that way!
Maybe they could add a Frozen ride to EPCOT to try to draw some of those families with kids away from MK:cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom