A Spirited Perfect Ten

RSoxNo1

Maybe not... but it will finally convince people to not automatically spend three of their seven day ticket in MK. Or worse, 2-3 of their 3-4 day ticket.

Purely anecdotally, but I do know a few of those tourists that already don't visit MK, my parents being one of them. They haven't stepped foot in MK since 1993, despite a visit to Epcot/AK in 2006 and Epcot in 2012 (I also skipped 2012). I'd like to say they are just waiting for a new E-ticket. :D

Also, plenty of conference goers, especially those who may have one day to spend, often skip MK for Epcot.

It's by far not the majority, they do exist, but definitely not the ones with kids in tow...

Those numbers will increase if the other parks are actually made as compelling as MK, and there is no reason they can't be made that way!
In the 44 year history of the Magic Kingdom it has not been cannibalized by new attractions at Disney or Universal. It is the most popular theme park in the world and it would take billions in each park to bring it up to the level of the Magic Kingdom. But as I said, people aren't going to skip the Magic Kingdom.

gmajew

Premium Member
Well its Easter weeks. The week before and the week after are just like the weeks before and after Christmas. Except hotter.

I rode Space Mountain, Buzz, seven Mine, people mover, Pirates, splash, thunder all before 12 today. Place was packed but again got to know when to get in and then get out.

Enjoyed my day then by the pool and strolled Epcot this evening.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Pat Myself on the Back Post:

Don't know if you saw, but permits just went up for major work at the WL for DVC as well as other construction. If you'll recall, I told y'all this was coming sometime last year.

With the Poly DVC Devastation about done, the timeshare machine needs to crank up elsewhere.

I just hate being right so often. I know it will upset some of my biggest fans down under. :D:devilish::)

But I am a bit surprised how long the permit is for. I shudder to think how much this will change my favorite WDW resort (about 150 nights spent there). I do know the project includes whatever they decided to put out over the water (teepees, cabins, wagons, 76 Pintos etc.) and two new concierge lounges (one DVC, one hotel).

But I'd need to check the plans to see what else was being done ... oh, I know a MAJOR redo for Artist Point as well.

I'm scared to death they'll destroy this place (sorry, WDW fanbois who can't get to DLR, but adding a Trader Sam's at the Poly doesn't change the fact the resort has lost most of its character and been Walmarted!), especially since Angie and I now own DVC at the original WLV.

I recall how much I hated the idea of them adding DVC in 2000 to the WL, but they did a magnificent job of integrating it (the best of ANY resort that got a DVC addition).

Like I said, I'm just afraid.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Poly Thoughts:

You can like what Disney did, but that doesn't make you right. Just as people liked the BAH and the wand over SSE.

It sure looks like they destroyed the soul ... the very Spirit of the Poly for a cheap-looking redo that will fit in perfectly with today's typical WDW Guest who doesn't know any better, doesn't care or is addicted to the BRAND.

The only thing I might enjoy is Sam's, and you damn well know that the Lifestylers will own the place. They'll have their own times and tables etc. Sickening ... really.

I suppose I could just drink at the Royal Pacific and think how amazing it is that UNI can put out such great theme park product when Tom Williams and Co are truly more out of touch with reality than Tom Staggs and Co. Scary, I know.

Funmeister

Don't know if you saw, but permits just went up for major work at the WL for DVC as well as other construction. If you'll recall, I told y'all this was coming sometime last year.

With the Poly DVC Devastation about done, the timeshare machine needs to crank up elsewhere.

I just hate being right so often. I know it will upset some of my biggest fans down under. :D:devilish::)

But I am a bit surprised how long the permit is for. I shudder to think how much this will change my favorite WDW resort (about 150 nights spent there). I do know the project includes whatever they decided to put out over the water (teepees, cabins, wagons, 76 Pintos etc.) and two new concierge lounges (one DVC, one hotel).

But I'd need to check the plans to see what else was being done ... oh, I know a MAJOR redo for Artist Point as well.

I'm scared to death they'll destroy this place (sorry, WDW fanbois who can't get to DLR, but adding a Trader Sam's at the Poly doesn't change the fact the resort has lost most of its character and been Walmarted!), especially since Angie and I now own DVC at the original WLV.

I recall how much I hated the idea of them adding DVC in 2000 to the WL, but they did a magnificent job of integrating it (the best of ANY resort that got a DVC addition).

Did anything ever come of the EPCOT parking lot / DVC development?

Disneyhead'71

The WL is my favorite WDW resort. I knew you said it was coming, but that doesn't blunt the blow.

(Deep breath ) ok, sorry. I'm just a little verklempt.

Everything is Awesome, come on everybody, sing along.

Nemo14

I've been sick about this since you mentioned it last year (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-spirited-8th-wonder-wdws-future-you.887031/). If it's anything like what's happened to the Poly, there will be no reason left for me to visit WDW again.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree.

As an occasional drooling sycophant - as long as the conversation remains moderately civil, disagreement makes for a less biased presentation of interesting topics. Otherwise this place just turns into an echo chamber, which it has definitely been at points.

However, as a non-drooling sycophant, I'm not personally a fan of the nick names, shout-outs and occasional bullying. Whether it is against the Disney parks bloggers, people on twitter, some of the Micechat columnists, the Orlando sentinel, accusations against WDI or passioned hatred for Willow/Bob, it degrades the whole discussion and loses me personally.

While I think some of the actual core topics we've discussed the last few months are fascinating - if things resort to name calling and character trashing (from anyone here or elsewhere), I check out.

I was debating whether to respond to this or not (some folks here believe I have to respond to any/every thing they place out there or even when they tag me, I don't).

I don't enjoy echo chambers. That's why I get very ed when there isn't news and people use this thread as an anything goes place to talk. I believe we have a Chit Chat forum and the PML members have that. I don't start threads like this so they can fall apart when I disappear for a week or there is nothing newsworthy.

I certainly hope you don't think I bully people because I hate that carp and don't. Apparently, you missed the ganging up on me (by my biggest fans) because I had a tech glitch and wondered if it was normal or whether someone had accessed my devices ... yeah, I was the bully there.

As to the other things you've raised, all I can say is you know what you're going to get in my threads and I won't apologize for that. If people don't like hearing what I don't like and why, then they don't have to read or post here. Take a look at page views for my threads if you believe most people feel that way. I don't watch MTV or CBS crime procedurals because I know what I'm going to get. Only a crazy person would spend time reading a thread that they don't enjoy or get anything out of.

I know the topics and the NEWS (because when it is put out, it is that, it isn't guessing or taking 10% fact and crafting an elaborate -- WDI-like -- back story for the tale, as other online bloggers do) I tend to put out are things you can't get elsewhere.

With that, can we all agree that water is wet and move on?

GymLeaderPhil

Did anything ever come of the EPCOT parking lot / DVC development?
Logistically Epcot needs to retain the space until Studios solves it's parking problem, the MK lot gets redone after the speedway closes, and all of the RunDisney events finds a suitable location to hold all of their facilities pre/postrace.

I don't see it happening anytime soon.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You conveniently left out the accusation of a large media company putting spyware on your computers. Therefore when you delete such posts it appears you are attempting to exculpate yourself or at least it gives that appearance. I seem to remember a discussion in this very thread about how the appearance of impropriety is to be avoided.

So what? I was wrong and admitted it. Do you think I hurt the feelings of a multi-billion dollar multi-national media goliath? Seriously, Phil, it's a little more than laughable when you compare me editing posts on a fan site message board to the head of Disney using his wife's position at a news org (and the HuffPo does sadly qualify) to silence someone writing an Op-Ed that was slightly critical of the company's ability to develop its BRAND in China.

Sorry, pal, but the standards for Bob Iger don't apply to me here ... and, FWIW, I am far more honorable and honest. But I don't want this discussion becoming the next 'Dear Leader is protecting peds' tangent. If you want to discuss it (or whatever else you have stuck up your rear end) with me, send me a PM.

For craps sake, he posited a theory which was ultimately proven negative. No need to be all Massengill about it.

Don't you get it? He's damaging my very valuable BRAND! :D:eek::cool:

PhotoDave219

I rode Space Mountain, Buzz, seven Mine, people mover, Pirates, splash, thunder all before 12 today. Place was packed but again got to know when to get in and then get out.

Enjoyed my day then by the pool and strolled Epcot this evening.

My hat off to you on being able to navigate the crowds and having a plan. Stick and move, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee....

Cesar R M

MK can hold roughly 90-95k+ people. But not easily. And not where guests are comfortable.

When you have 80-125k people as guests at any given moment, its really REALLY bad when they all head to MK at once.
Mermaid. But we lost 2KLUTS. So the net gain really is Zero.

Edit: No matter how many people Celebration Place hires with doctorates in Twitter, there are plenty with very long memories that are more than willing to put their actions into the proper context.

2KLUTS went away in 1994. Took ten years for the attraction to be removed and the land to even be rehabbed for "future expansion." (2004/5). We also lost the Diamond Horseshoe Review Show. (Minus two). Mike Fink's Keel Boats (Minus three). Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes (Minus Four). The Skyway (Minus five).

Flash forward to present time. We add Mermaid. (net minus 4). We take away SWSA. Replace it with 7DMT. Still at Minus 4. We take the Belle M&G and move it from Storytime with Belle to the Enchanted tales with Belle. Technically an experience rather than an attraction but still. It was replaced by a Merida M&G so thats a gain of one there so we're at a net of minus three attractions since 1994. Everything else that is new (Philharmagic, Stitch, MILF, Buzz) are all replacements of existing attractions or utilizing existing space.

None of them what I would consider an "E Ticket."
now thats an explanation, thx!

still sad.
they have been so busy adding new prices that they forgot what they should have been adding.

But soon you can drink a nautilus, right after the lifestylers, locals and CMs get tired of the place and you can eventually find a seat.
pretty sure they will be replaced by the Latin american groups that has never been to any Disney park, let alone a full theme park

Cesar R M

\
No not the same. The picture you posted of Splash could ONLY be seen from backstage. Even though the picture you posted of EE was also a backstage picture you could see it from the parking lot from a guest area. Not a fair comparison at all. Sorry.
agree with this, you can see the back of EE FROM THE ROAD.
I dont think I've seen the back of Splash, even from the monorail coming from The Grand Floridian.

Cesar R M

55222932.jpg
I wonder how long until this thread gets cleaned up lol.

WDW1974

Original Poster
On this subject of whether the MK needs a new headliner attraction or three or not, the answer is a resounding yes!!!

Attractions may add people, but if they are quality people-eaters, then they also add capacity. Sure, you can argue that the other three need them more. I agree IF they are of sufficient quality to draw Guests from the MK. Right now, they don't have enough.

But MK still hasn't opened a MAJOR addition since 1992. Shell games that move capacity around are not the answer. That's MM+.

Disney needs to add major attractions at all four gates and, right now, only two are going to see that for the next 3-5 years.

Cesar R M

Being able to safely shove 90K in there doesn't mean the park has the actual fire power to survive a load like that. The place starts breaking a sweat around 50K.
specially when the shoddy maintenance and the overuse of certain attractions (which havent had a refurbish in a long.... long time. like POTC) makes them crash in succession.

I remember reading in this forum how POTC went down, then Splash, then Haunted Mansion and then Space Mountain.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

RIP Poly, I used to love you even if I only seen you a few times.
now you look like a confabulated mess with horrible pizza huts. (ps, they look worse in real life, specially when you come from the MK boat)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom